Wiki Posts
Search

Honor Flights = NO Security

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Honor Flights = NO Security

I am a fan of the honor flights - we dont do enough of them.

But yesterday I watched 90 participants of a flight here at DCA walk straight through the checkpoint with not one participant - veteran nor assistant - receive any screening other than cursory glance to match the name on the Avery Label namecard on a string around their neck to the list held by the ID checker. Half of the participants are assistants/guardians carrying backpacks, fanny packs, and rollaboard suitcases. None of the bags were screened. And every single participant directed around the metal detectors.

I am given to understand that is the standard procedure for all the flights: essentially no security whatsoever. I am not worried about the veterans or even so much about the assistants.

But is anyone else even a little worried about bad guy exploiting this huge vulnerability by pretending to be a participant or loading something in someone's bag or even wheel chair?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
^ As it should be.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Agreed that there are not enough Honor Flights but this (and no disrespect meant whatsoever to the veterans) shows the fallacy about how the TSA runs it's show (n.b. show). Either everyone is screened or no one is screened as if there is a middle ground, that is where the incident will occur
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Do they do any prescreening?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Section 107

But is anyone else even a little worried about bad guy exploiting this huge vulnerability by pretending to be a participant or loading something in someone's bag or even wheel chair?
Absolutely not. The overwhelming number of people are not terrorists.

I'd fly on such a flight in a heartbeat.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Section 107
I am given to understand that is the standard procedure for all the flights: essentially no security whatsoever.
?
and all the gen-av and corp flights in the USA too.
The sky has not fallen!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
and all the gen-av and corp flights in the USA too.
The sky has not fallen!
yes of course, and I wasnt suggesting otherwise. My point was to get someone to do what Goalie pointed out, that this truly proves the absurdity of the enormous time suck and expense we have foisted upon ourselves.

There is nothing to stop a bad guy from creating or stealing the "credential" to appear to be one of the participants to enter the "sterile" area without any scrutiny whatsoever.

of course, here I am just preaching to the choir....
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm tninking this belongs in debate forum

thanks

squeakr

co mod TS/S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.