Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

in case you were curious who gets a pat down...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott

Yesterday afternoon I was going through the checkpoint at my local airport.

As usual, I approached the TSO standing on the other side of the WTMD and informed them I have a lingering collarbone injury and am unable to lift my arm all the way. As usual, she moved the cone out of the way and waved me through.

This time however, she stopped me on the other side and informed me that I would also need my "hands examined." She called for a "male hand assist".

The guy came over and brought me back to where the tester machines are. Then we had the following exchange:
Me: "Can we just make sure I can see my bags from where I'm standing please?"
Him: "Sure. Now, did you tell her you were opting out?"
Me: "I just told her I have a collarbone injury and can't lift my arm all the way."
Him: "Oh, okay. That's fine. Then we're just going to swab your hands, that's all."
Me: "Why, what does it mean to opt out?"
Him: "It's when you refuse or don't want to go through the other machine, and you tell us you want to opt out."
Me: "Oh. What happens then?"
Him: (swabbing my hand) "Then we give you a full pat down instead."
Me: "Oh. Why would anyone do that then?"
Him: "Beats me." (Tests the swab... 5 seconds later) "All done!"
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by G_Wolf

As usual, I approached the TSO standing on the other side of the WTMD and informed them I have a lingering collarbone injury and am unable to lift my arm all the way. As usual, she moved the cone out of the way and waved me through.

This time however, she stopped me on the other side and informed me that I would also need my "hands examined." She called for a "male hand assist".

The guy came over and brought me back to where the tester machines are. Then we had the following exchange:
Me: "I just told her I have a collarbone injury and can't lift my arm all the way."
Him: "Oh, okay. That's fine. Then we're just going to swab your hands, that's all."
Him: "It's when you refuse or don't want to go through the other machine, and you tell us you want to opt out."
Him: "Because our security procedures are all a big theater performance, and these machines are invasive and ineffective, and the passengers know we hate patting them down more than they hate getting patted down."." (Tests the swab... 5 seconds later) "All done!"
This is what he would have said...if he only knew the truth...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G_Wolf

Him: "Beats me." (Tests the swab... 5 seconds later) "All done!"
Great job baiting him!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
This varies. I have a blown out rotator cuff, and cant lift my right arm more than half way. Usually it's a trip through the WTMD, AND I'm on my way. A few times at IND, they opened the gate, and I walked through without a thing being done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.