Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WWI artillery shells found in luggage at ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

TSA found WWI artillery shells from checked bags at ORD. Those are 16-year old & 17-year old who were returning back from a school field trip to Europe. TSA seized the artillery shells from the bags. Luckily, no one file charged against those 2 teens students. Both of them who flew back to SEA via ORD.

http://www.wsvn.com/story/25192888/w...ggage-at-ohare

Who responsible for this? Those artillery shells won't be traveling.

Last edited by N830MH; Apr 10, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:05 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by N830MH

Who responsible for this?
Kaiser Wilhelm II

Too bad they didn't book directly to SEA N/S they might have made it LOL

Those things do still blow from time-to-time and IIRC one just went off in Belgium a week or two ago killing a couple of people. WWI and WWII are both still claiming victims...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:15 pm

I fail to see the problem. That the tsa had. If they were inert hunks of metal, what was their issue other than getting another chance to throw their weight around? Also do they mean a potentially once-non-inert projectile, or just the brass casing? If it's the latter, then this is even more stupid!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Kaiser Wilhelm II

Too bad they didn't book directly to SEA N/S they might have made it LOL

Those things do still blow from time-to-time and IIRC one just went off in Belgium a week or two ago killing a couple of people. WWI and WWII are both still claiming victims...
Yeah, they didn't take on Delta or British Airways from LHR-SEA nonstop. Oh well! There is nothing can be done for now.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:49 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Once again, the TSA saves us all from a non-threat. We should all be very grateful.

FTA:"TSA spokesman Jim McKinney says a bomb disposal crew determined the shells were inert and no one was ever in danger."
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:34 am

if they were inert then why did the TSA steal them?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by DIFIN
if they were inert then why did the TSA steal them?
Because their very presence might frighten other passengers.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Right! It will be very extremely dangerous. They don't want to scared with other passengers.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:57 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Right! It will be very extremely dangerous. They don't want to scared with other passengers.
He was being sarcastic.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
They were found in checked luggage. How would other passengers even see them?
I would say that they are more likely to frighten the pee-pants, totalitarian government gravy-funded, luggage looters, oops, screeners than the average passenger.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Once again, the TSA saves us all from a non-threat. We should all be very grateful.

FTA:"TSA spokesman Jim McKinney says a bomb disposal crew determined the shells were inert and no one was ever in danger."
Right! It will be very extremely dangerous. "
"inert" means that they were safe, neutralized, no explosives, and in no way a danger to anyone. Unless the TSA dropped a shell on their foot while loading it into the trunk of their car.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
He was being sarcastic.
Perhaps, but that is the actual reason why replica weapons are on the prohibited list - because they might frighten passengers and thus could be used to hijack a plane.

Judging by the lack of knowledge of some in this country - not to mention unmitigated stupidity that seems to spread like an infection throughout the populace and the rank paranoia that has become our default emotional state - it's entirely plausible that a replica weapon could be used in a hijacking. For a humorous example, see the end of National Lampoon's Vacation, where Chevy Chase takes hostages using a nearly harmless BB gun with the pricetag from the sporting goods store still hanging off of it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Perhaps, but that is the actual reason why replica weapons are on the prohibited list - because they might frighten passengers and thus could be used to hijack a plane.

Judging by the lack of knowledge of some in this country - not to mention unmitigated stupidity that seems to spread like an infection throughout the populace and the rank paranoia that has become our default emotional state - it's entirely plausible that a replica weapon could be used in a hijacking. For a humorous example, see the end of National Lampoon's Vacation, where Chevy Chase takes hostages using a nearly harmless BB gun with the pricetag from the sporting goods store still hanging off of it.
There is no way a replica weapon in a checked bag could be used to hijack a plane.

That aside, Scotty is deaf and often misses sarcasm, it has nothing to do with the rest.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:04 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
"inert" means that they were safe, neutralized, no explosives, and in no way a danger to anyone. Unless the TSA dropped a shell on their foot while loading it into the trunk of their car.
Exactly, which is why I made the sarcastic comment that I made.

Actually, I have an inert "munition" of my own. It is mounted on a wooden plaque with a years of service inscription on it.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Returning from a fun year in Bosnia during the war, I forgot that I had an expended 2 1/2 inch shell in my checked luggage. The folks at FRA found it on x-ray (it was missed out of Sarajevo - but on a Dutch military aircraft). Once they examined it and found it to be inert (no primer), it was returned to me along with a note to give the U.S. authorities that the round had been checked. Wouldn't happen post-9/11. I proudly still have my round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.