Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

They'll Swab Anything strikes again - doesn't recognize a frozen meatloaf

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA

So I go through the PreCheck lanes in ATL this afternoon with a small frozen meatloaf wrapped in clear plastic wrap. My bag is immediately pulled, the TSA lady opens it, picks up the meatloaf, and asks where the water bottle is.
I tell her there is no bottle, and she says it sure looked like one. Uh, no, water
is clear and cylindrical, and a meatloaf is a dense rectangle. At least she didn't take everything out of the bag.

Last edited by Georgia Peach; Mar 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
So I go through the PreCheck lanes in ATL this afternoon with a small frozen meatloaf wrapped in clear plastic wrap. My bag is immediately pulled, the TSA lady opens it, picks up the meatloaf, and asks where the water bottle is.
I tell her there is no bottle, and she says it sure looked like one. Uh, no, water
is clear and cylindrical, and a meatloaf is a dense rectangle. At least she didn't take everything out of the bag.
Yeah, I got a locked carry-on pulled. Couldn't find my regular lock, so I had a ratty little key lock. Key is locked inside my rucksack with my standard combination lock.

TSO asks me about the fish I'm carrying. He says 'we get a lot of people carrying fish through here'. ??? I had 4 barbecue sandwiches from an old family-owned place not too far from the airport that is known for excellent barbecue. I'm taking it to friends who have visited and love the barbecue.

I unlock (with permission) the rucksack, get the key, unlock the rollaboard, he opens it, squeezes each of the sandwiches without removing or opening them up, thankfully, and says I'm good to go.

Leaving behind the smell of that really really good barbecue.

I get that some xray techs don't seem to be as good as others at clearing 'organic' matter (they're the ones who freak about cheese). But seriously? They get a lot of people bringing FISH through the checkpoint in carry-on bags with no dry ice or other special packaging?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.