Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Lawmakers Threaten TSA with Private Screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lawmakers Threaten TSA with Private Screeners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by davidviolin
I agree with most of your points. However, I do think one needs to be in possession of a valid ID to fly. I for sure would not want to be on a plane without people who can properly ID themselves.

Instead of going back to old metal detectors, I would speed up development of new technology. Scanners you can walk through without separating yourself from your bags or items would save a lot of trouble. Its not a matter of IF such technology will be available, but WHEN.
Do you think that terrorists working for a well-financed organization would not have fraudulent IDs that the TSA would never be able to detect?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Do you think that terrorists working for a well-financed organization would not have fraudulent IDs that the TSA would never be able to detect?
They might have, and you are absolutely right that is always a possibility.
But I think we both can agree it would make it more difficult for a terrorist to forge a new identity than not to. There is no possible way to 100% make sure nobody who shouldn't be onboard an aircraft isn't, but I think if we need an ID to drive to the grocery store, we should ID the people going on a plane. It takes two seconds to check for ID's I think its worth the trouble.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:21 pm

They might have, and you are absolutely right that is always a possibility.
But I think we both can agree it would make it more difficult for a terrorist to forge a new identity than not to. There is no possible way to 100% make sure nobody who shouldn't be onboard an aircraft isn't, but I think if we need an ID to drive to the grocery store, we should ID the people going on a plane. It takes two seconds to check for ID's I think its worth the trouble.
Police do not stop every car on the road and check for ID. "Normal" driving does not lead to an ID check, an accident or violating the law may. And, when is the last time you saw a document checker call in to verify that the person named on the ID was not "wanted."
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by CPT Trips
Police do not stop every car on the road and check for ID. "Normal" driving does not lead to an ID check, an accident or violating the law may. And, when is the last time you saw a document checker call in to verify that the person named on the ID was not "wanted."
If you think its wise to drive without a drivers license/and or insurance... go ahead.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Yep, this a fine example if I've ever seen one. No dragons have attacked any commercial airlines since 9/11, it must have been that magic "Anti-Dragon" spell I cast many years ago. I honestly wonder how someone can post that with a straight face.

Think about it this way. How many terrorist attempts have the TSA actually thwarted? Did all of the terrorist just suddenly disappear? Are they so terrified of the crack blue shirts that they don't even bother trying? Is the current Al Qaeda #2 sitting in his cave saying "I wish I could launch another major attack against the Great Satan, if only if it were not for that dastardly TSA and their body scanners".
If you only knew
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:28 pm

If you think its wise to drive without a drivers license/and or insurance... go ahead.
It should be required to have a license and insurance to drive a car on the roads.

It should not be "required" for an airline passenger to have an "ID." If the airline is fine with that passenger, so am I.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by ronin308
Actually the airports that now use private screeners dispel both of your "issues".

1. The screening equipment at those airports such as SFO are still owned by the TSA and future equipment purchases are funded by the TSA. There is nothing stopping the TSA from owning the equipment and having the staffing of the checkpoints done by a private contractor. This is something done in hundreds if not thousands of federal, state and local government buildings today.

2. Not sure what you're talking about with the respect to the past, but the contract between the private screening company and the TSA or other supervising agency can require the publishing of stats and more importantly specify penalties for not meeting them. This can include customer service metrics, checkpoint throughput requirements and success at "red flag" style testing.

Keeping the screening process internal to the TSA ensures there will be no real accountability for poor performance.

Private companies have proven that the screening process can be more efficient, less expensive and offer the same or better level of security than the TSA doing it themselves.
That is not true, there was an airport in CO that wanted to go private and it approached TSA to stay because of the equipment issue and outlay of money that it would cost.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
That is not true, there was an airport in CO that wanted to go private and it approached TSA to stay because of the equipment issue and outlay of money that it would cost.
Say what?

The airport wanted to go private, but it approached the TSA to not go private?

Does the TSA in CO drug test its employees?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
... but I think if we need an ID to drive to the grocery store, we should ID the people going on a plane.
Here's the thing; I don't want to drive the plane, I'm just a passenger. (For the record, I hope the pilot has an ID proving he's competent to operate the thing.)

I don't need an ID to ride in my friend's car to the grocery store, or take a bus to the grocery store, or hire a taxi to the grocery store. Those are the analogs to being a passenger on a plane.
It takes two seconds to check for ID's I think its worth the trouble.
It takes two seconds if (a) you speak English well enough to understand the question, (b) you have good enough hearing to hear and understand the question, (c) your pronunciation of your own name aligns with how the TSA screener thinks it should be pronounced. If all three apply to you, well lucky you.

But spare a thought for the international visitors to the US who don't understand what they're being asked. Spare a thought for those with hearing difficulties who don't know what the question was. Spare a thought for poor (fictional) Siobhan Niamh St John Cholmondeley who is going to have a fifteen minute argument with the TSA screener about the pronunciation of her own name. (Shivahn Neeve Sinjin Chumley, in fact.) And then consider that these people are going to be inconvenienced for more than 2 seconds every time they travel.

And it's not really a question of "it only takes two seconds so why not?" If they asked you to drop your trousers right there in the line, if they asked you to hop on one foot and cluck like a chicken, if they asked you the last time you'd been to the doctor, any of those would only take two seconds, too, but they would be unnecessary and inappropriate.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:51 am

I don't want to sound cynical, but why do I have a nagging feeling that Congressman Mica is just doing this for show (to win votes), while this issue will die a quiet death later and the TSA will just go back to how they've always treated passengers.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to get my hopes up too soon...

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Jan 18, 2014 at 4:11 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Millon deFloss
I remember what a great job those private screeners did at IAD on September 11. Just fantastic.
Ah, the "private screeners allowed 9/11" lie posted once more.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Read the article. Wish that I had not. Nearly lost my breakfast:

Screening jobs are tough because the staffers must be constantly alert for contraband while still providing customer service, Hoggan said.

The Nov. 1 shooting death of TSA Officer Gerardo Hernandez at a checkpoint at Los Angeles International Airport illustrates the perils involved with the job.

New hires receive 80 hours of training, followed by on-the-job training of 40 hours, plus more training for specific equipment, Hoggan said. In addition, the agency provides integrity and leadership training for supervisors, he said.

"It's a difficult job," Hoggan said. "Customer service is part of the training."
Don't know where to start so I won't.

Now, my analysis.
  • TSA is now unionized.
  • Public employee unions support Democrats.
  • House is Republican, including Rep. John Mica, R-Fla.
  • Private screeners may or may not be union, likely not.
  • Private, <100% union, better than TSA, 100% union.

Just my take.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Although I dislike TSA as much as you do, I have to question how you know for sure 100% your "facts".
I mean do you have proof that TSA never stopped a terrorist? They have stopped hundreds of people with guns in their bags, knowingly or not knowingly. How do you know that they were not planning on using those guns once airborne? How do you define "stopping a terrorist"?
It's simple logic.

A person or organization makes an assertion. Their assertion must be presumed false until they can present facts to back it up. Even if they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, like the Big Bang Theory, it can be accepted as probably factual because all of the available facts (background radiation, universal red/blue shift, etc) support it. "We don't know for sure, it MIGHT not have happened that way," is not considered a disproof, or even reasonable doubt.

TSA has never presented any facts of any kind to support an assertion that it has caught a terrorist. In point of fact, the agency itself has never even made an assertion that it has caught a terrorist; only its brainwashed myopic supporters and yes-men have done so, and they have done so only with innuendo and theoreticals.

The fact that something is not impossible does not count as a proof that it HAS happened. It does not even count as reasonable doubt against the assertion that it has NEVER happened.

I say that it has never happened. Here are the facts that I present to support my assertion:

1) TSA has never claimed it happened
2) Nobody else has ever given any first-hand or second-hand or third-hand descriptions of it ever happening
3) Given the response to other terrorist attacks and attempts that have occurred since 9/11 (the shoe bomober, the underwear bomber, the liquids plot, the printer cartridge bombers, and even the LA shooter), and given TSA's reaction to its own "big catch" incidents which don't involve terrorism in any way (drug smugglers, guns and Leatherman tools in luggage), it is highly illogical (delusional, IMHO) to believe that TSA would ever have stopped or caught a terrorist without crowing about it like Peter Pan to every journalist in the world. Unless, of course, the entire incident were classified by some other agency like NSA or CIA or DOD.

If you only knew
If we only knew what? Backup your assertions with facts, or they're BS. They're the TSA equivalent of a 5-year old on a playground screaming "YES MY DADDY IS THE STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD! HE BEAT UP KING KONG! HE CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!"

Here's some logic for you:

1) You are (you say) an employee of TSA
2) As an employee of TSA, you are a Covered Person and thus contractually bound by SSI regulations
3) By asserting, even in a roundabout way, that TSA has caught terrorists but kept it secret, you are confirming something that you are contractually bound to neither confirm nor deny if it's SSI.
4) By doing so, you have violated your employment agreement and are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.

And another:

1) The assertions you make may be SSI, but they may also be a matter of national security and actually classified, as opposed to the BS TSA term SSI.
2) If such information is actually classified, the only way you'd know about it is if you had a security clearance.
3) As a person with clearance, by confirming or denying the existence of such classified information, not to mention making allusions as to the actual content of such information, you are guilty of multiple felonies, and are subject to prosecution as a terrorist yourself.

Now, given the above, and given that no sane person would ever willingly violate national security protocols which could land him in prison, or SSI protocols which could get him fired and perhaps fined heavily, merely to win an argument on a message board which we know for a fact has multiple TSA employees aboard who could report you, I have to doubt your alluded assertion that TSA has ever actually stopped any terrorists or terrorist plots.

Given your rabid support of TSA and TSOs in general, however, I don't have any strong doubts that you actually are a TSO. It's possible you're lying, but since there is no reasonable indication that you are lying, other than the theoretical possibility that you're lying, I'd going to accept your assertion that you're a TSA employee on its face.

Which means you're either lying about TSA catching terrorists, or you're guilty of a termination-level offense by breaking SSI protocols. Or, you're guilty of multiple felonies by openly confirming the existence of, and alluding as to the content of, classified material.

Good luck in your next job review.

Last edited by WillCAD; Jan 18, 2014 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
It's simple logic.

A person or organization makes an assertion. Their assertion must be presumed false until they can present facts to back it up. Even if they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, like the Big Bang Theory, it can be accepted as probably factual because all of the available facts (background radiation, universal red/blue shift, etc) support it. "We don't know for sure, it MIGHT not have happened that way," is not considered a disproof, or even reasonable doubt.

TSA has never presented any facts of any kind to support an assertion that it has caught a terrorist. In point of fact, the agency itself has never even made an assertion that it has caught a terrorist; only its brainwashed myopic supporters and yes-men have done so, and they have done so only with innuendo and theoreticals.

The fact that something is not impossible does not count as a proof that it HAS happened. It does not even count as reasonable doubt against the assertion that it has NEVER happened.

I say that it has never happened. Here are the facts that I present to support my assertion:

1) TSA has never claimed it happened
2) Nobody else has ever given any first-hand or second-hand or third-hand descriptions of it ever happening
3) Given the response to other terrorist attacks and attempts that have occurred since 9/11 (the shoe bomober, the underwear bomber, the liquids plot, the printer cartridge bombers, and even the LA shooter), and given TSA's reaction to its own "big catch" incidents which don't involve terrorism in any way (drug smugglers, guns and Leatherman tools in luggage), it is highly illogical (delusional, IMHO) to believe that TSA would ever have stopped or caught a terrorist without crowing about it like Peter Pan to every journalist in the world. Unless, of course, the entire incident were classified by some other agency like NSA or CIA or DOD.
For someone who likes to educate others on logic and facts...

In your last sentence you are finally getting to my point... but not before you had to call me delusional.

Does CIA boost about their operations? Almost never. NSA? Never. Homeland Security? Rarely. Where are your facts that TSA would boost about their operations? You know the facts you claim like so much.

I dislike TSA's way of operating as much as the next guy, but to go around saying they never improved safety in the air, is just silly, and I am glad you finally realized that during your last sentence, that we would never know for sure.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:47 pm

If you only knew
Knew what? That the TSA is even more useless than we could ever imagine? I'm sure you're counting all of the nail clippers and bottled water taken away as "Thwarting terrorist plots". If the TSA actually caught a true terrorist John Pistole would be on every new channel dancing a jig and demanding billions in new funding as a reward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.