Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Slain TSA agent honored with memorial flag ceremony at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slain TSA agent honored with memorial flag ceremony at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
The uniforms, the badges, and the titles are all part of a costume, deliberately crafted to allow TSOs to subtly commit an act which is a crime in most jurisdictions - impersonating a police officer.
All well said. How can this be so blindingly obvious to so many folks, and not to the wearers?

95% of the staff can be professional, courteous, and follow the SOP, but if 5% of them strut, bluster, and puff themselves up behind the costume, the entire pool is polluted.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The uniforms, the badges, and the titles are all part of a costume, deliberately crafted to allow TSOs to subtly commit an act which is a crime in most jurisdictions - impersonating a police officer.

It was one of the earliest felonies legalized by TSA policy, but by no means was it the last.
^^ Very well put.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by gsoltso
I think the uniform makes us a bit more of a target, but only in the sense that any uniform with patch/badge assembly makes one a target for people with ill intent. I am still a bit taken aback at just the sheer number of people that think we are armed - have you ever seen a picture of a TSO armed? Have you ever heard a news piece indicating that TSOs in the checkpoint were armed? A small percentage of people may make the incorrect connection that uniform = LEO, but there are tons of jobs with uniforms similar or identical in the design and styling that are unarmed as well. Almost every private security group has a uniform in a similar design (right down to the types of badges) used for patrolling/working/etc - and many more of those positions are unarmed than are armed. I understand the point you are making, but I did not think that there were that many people that thought we were armed.

I think there is some validity to the making one a target, but only in the context above. Anyone wearing a uniform of this nature is a target for people with ill intent, but I do not think it is simply because we work for TSA (with the allowance for a random nutbag like Ciancia).

P.S. Kudos for the Duke reference!
I hope none of you folks ever walk in on a robbery in progress wearing that TSA uniform, Guess who's the first to go. Before I retired I mentioned that to on of the TSO's here scared the crap out of him
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted -- duplicate
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I hope none of you folks ever walk in on a robbery in progress wearing that TSA uniform, Guess who's the first to go. Before I retired I mentioned that to on of the TSO's here scared the crap out of him
Exactly! It's all about being a symbol. When I was in AFROTC in the early 70s, we were advised to not wear our uniforms on campus. (We were too dumb to realize that our hair length was a dead giveaway, in or out of uniform!) Virtually all service members returning under their own power from Viet Nam changed into civilian clothes in the first men's room they found in the airport. When I was stationed in Europe in the mid-1980s, we were advised to not wear our uniforms off base unless we were driving directly to & from home. Very few people probably hated me personally. The hatred was aimed at who I was and what I represented.

Like it or not, West, anyone wearing a TSA fake cop uniform turns into a symbol of what a lot of people (may of them armed with their own unique boundaries) dislike, or even hate, about the United States of America these days.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
All well said. How can this be so blindingly obvious to so many folks, and not to the wearers?
That's rhetorical, yes?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
West, I would suggest that the confusion isn't your fault, but the fault of your superiors. When TSA puts images of TSOs bearing weapons into the public eye, it's not an unreasonable leap of reasoning to conclude that TSOs bear weapons in the course of their ordinary duties.

And as many here have suggested ... TSA seems to deliberately invite such confusion, in the name of "command presence".
Ok, I will concede that there is imagery out there and people may wrongly assume that TSOs are armed based on it. I think that most of the Honor Guard stuff is locally generated and controlled, so it may not have been as much HQ as it is local management pushing this to the public (although HQ uses the imagery in their own publications).

Oh, come on West, now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Just where do you think that "command presence" comes from, anyway? It comes from the explicit authority with which true LEOs are entrusted - authority which your agency tried to fool the traveling public into thinking that they shared.

The uniforms were, without a doubt, the most insulting con-game ever pulled by your agency. They were designed for the specific purpose of intimidating and frightening pax into complying with TSO instructions by falsely implying that they have LEO powers.

Even the specifically stated reason - to engender respect - puts the whole agency in a bad light, because if TSOs are despised and not respected while wearing the trappings of authority they don't have, they were obviously despised and not respected when they wore white shirts with embroidered patches, as well (hence the switch). What's the common denominator here? The people IN the uniforms, not the uniforms.

Whatever their uniform, TSOs have been performing badly enough to be despised and disrespected by the traveling public for years.

Likewise, the titles, which switched from "screener" to "transportation security officer" in 2005, was designed to fool people into thinking that TSOs have police powers, and to coerce an undeserved deference out of the traveling public. The word "officer" is synonymous with "police" to most Americans, except in specific contexts such as "corporate officer" or "military officer"; but in the context of referring to uniformed security-related personnel, particularly those who work for a federal agency, the word "officer" very specifically means law enforcement officer.

It was one of the earliest felonies legalized by TSA policy, but by no means was it the last.
I have always agreed with you that all TSOs should be professional and courteous in all circumstances. The addition of the uniform was only to give a professional appearance on top of what the TSOs are supposed to do (and I am certain that adding the technical title had a little to do with establishing a regard for the person wearing, but even more to do with being able to charge people under federal laws in the case of attacks/assaults and such). TSOs have a limited level of authority, anyone that reads the news and publications of the organization should understand that, however, the one authority that overrides anything else for the TSOs is the control of access to the sterile area. That is the one stickler responsibility/authority that has not changed or shifted during the course of TSA, other responsibilities and authorities have come and gone, but that one constant remains. It does not mean we are LEOs, or we have detention capability (anyone that reads the news and publications of/about TSA knows that), or that we are anything more than a checkpoint screening security group. I understand the POV you are presenting, I will allow that some of what you say is true - it doesn't make any difference in the front line staff (with the off exception for some knucklehead that misunderstands/abuses their position), and for the largest part the public. The vast majority of people that interact with us simply regard us as the folks in the area they are screened in. I have postulated before that the majority of interactions with TSOs are neutral, with 5-10% being positive or negative interactions (I have no scientific evidence to support that, it like all of my commentary here is simply based on my interactions and experiences working for TSA) - and many of the negative actions are when there is a conversation about a prohibited item or an access problem. There may have been some ulterior motive behind creating and deploying this uniform, but to the TSO at the end of the line, it makes no difference - it is just a chance to look more professional in the course of performing the job.

And really? A felony for changing the title and uniform? Do you suggest that every group of people that wear anything even remotely similar to what police officers wear should be charged with a felony?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I hope that I never walk into a robbery of any kind, ever - but in the instance you mention, it would be no more dangerous for me than it would be for any other person in a uniform of similar design.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Exactly! It's all about being a symbol. When I was in AFROTC in the early 70s, we were advised to not wear our uniforms on campus. (We were too dumb to realize that our hair length was a dead giveaway, in or out of uniform!) Virtually all service members returning under their own power from Viet Nam changed into civilian clothes in the first men's room they found in the airport. When I was stationed in Europe in the mid-1980s, we were advised to not wear our uniforms off base unless we were driving directly to & from home. Very few people probably hated me personally. The hatred was aimed at who I was and what I represented.

Like it or not, West, anyone wearing a TSA fake cop uniform turns into a symbol of what a lot of people (may of them armed with their own unique boundaries) dislike, or even hate, about the United States of America these days.
This may be the case at some locations, but most of my commentary is written from my POV, I have experienced no problems or challenges due to wearing the uniform. I have stopped and gotten gas, picked up a loaf of bread, and even run small errands on the way home from work, and have had nothing but positive interactions (of course, I am a fairly big guy, so that may have a little bit to do with it), nor have I heard of coworkers that have had problems or felt threatened because of their uniform. Some people may dislike the uniform, but I have not experienced that (some unexpected and completely off color remarks from people in a jocular manner, but nothing angry or even challenging).

Here is where we get to the crux of it, I don't think there is an appreciable increase in threat to me simply because I am a TSO or wearing this particular uniform (past the statistical probablities that go with wearing any uniform in this type of format). There will always be one off loonbags and even some small collectives of people following their own specific set of mores, that are willing to do damage to the target of their hatred (whatever that target may be). We can do some planning, we can take certain steps to prevent their ability to easily target our members, but we can not remove them from the equation of life. They are there, just like there are loonbags that will threaten the President, Senators, Congressmen, Redheads, Brunettes, Blue Eyes, Clowns and Santa Claus - they are simply a fact of life, and sad incidents like the one involving Hernandez are going to continue... Hopefully not often, as things like this do damage to our community as a whole, not just to the people and families immediately impacted by it.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
The addition of the uniform was only to give a professional appearance
You do understand that no one on here is going to buy that explanation for a second, don't you?

The workers at Best Buy also have blue uniforms and look professional, all without the air of being a police force.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoltso View Post
You do understand that no one on here is going to buy that explanation for a second, don't you?

The workers at Best Buy also have blue uniforms and look professional, all without the air of being a police force.
It is well documented that the move to the LEO-style uniform came about because screeners and their bosses felt that the public was not giving them any respect. IOW, like everything else with the TSA, the uniform change was another way to intimidate passengers into submission.

If there is any truth to the old military expression that "the uniform makes the man," then new garb might do wonders for the morale of the nation's airport security screeners.

That, and generating more respect from the flying public, is the hope of the Transportation Security Administration.

....In is a new official wardrobe that looks more like a police officer's uniform....

The goal is to give screeners a more professional appearance and establish a greater air of authority, in an effort to command respect from travelers.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...tor-kip-hawley

Lipstick on a pig.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Let me try that quote again with my own bolding added. The addition of the uniform was NOT to just give a professional appearance, it was to instill a sense of superiority, authority, and intimidation in the traveling public.

Let me compare blue uniforms:

Now those uniforms certainly have a professional appearance. When I shop Best Buy, I know immediately who the salespeople are and who has the authority to make deals, give me advice and sell me items.

These uniforms are also blue, like the Best Buy workers uniforms: professional and consistent. But that's where the similarity ends. Notice the badges, arm patches, shoulder stripes, and shoulder microphone? This uniform has more than just a flavor of the police or the military, it fairly screams that we should respect the uniform and those wearing it. This is far beyond having a "professional appearance."
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Notice the badges, arm patches, shoulder stripes, and shoulder microphone? This uniform has more than just a flavor of the police or the military, it fairly screams that we should respect the uniform and those wearing it.
I've been wondering for quite some time why they didn't bother adding the "Sam Browne" belt to the costume.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
... but utterly silly. It's no more a felony for TSA to dress as police wannabes than it is for private security guards to wear blue uniforms with tin badges. No felony was legalized here, in as much as it was never a felony in the first place.

Bad policy decision? Yes. Wasteful purchasing decision? Yes. Felony? Hilarious.
While it is sadly true that no one in TSA will be convicted of pretending to be an officer acting under the authority of the United States, that action is indeed a felony.

18 USC § 912 - Officer or employee of the United States

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
You must take everything literally.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:03 am

The addition of the uniform was only to give a professional appearance...
Not to pile on, since I sincerely appreciate your minority voice in this forum, but...

Do you seriously believe this? If so, I am curious why you think so. Maybe you can sway me by answering the questions below. Maybe I can sway you. Maybe not.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The goal is to give screeners a more professional appearance and establish a greater air of authority, in an effort to command respect from travelers.
Skip professional appearance. I believe everyone agrees with that.

The question is: What is the intent of establish greater AUTHORITY?

Seriously consider each word (establish, greater, and authority). Please address what AUTHORITY is being CREATED.

Same drill. What is meant by COMMAND respect?

These are not off the cuff or meaningless sound bites. They are well thought and promulgated explanations for the uniforms. Beyond professional appearance, what do you believe the other two parts mean?

Compare this justification: "...to achieve a professional, common look and improve respect."

Now look at the TSA and Best Buy pics. Do you still think this was done ONLY for professional appearance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.