Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:36 pm

I came through IAD a few weeks ago. They were fingerprinting all US citizens (not sure about children, though).

Zeikka, which airport was fingerprinting children, if you don't mind my asking? I'll be coming into Dulles early next year with my child and I'm also concerned about data privacy/retention for kids.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
I came through IAD a few weeks ago. They were fingerprinting all US citizens (not sure about children, though).

Zeikka, which airport was fingerprinting children, if you don't mind my asking? I'll be coming into Dulles early next year with my child and I'm also concerned about data privacy/retention for kids.
What makes you sure that they were fingerprinting all adult US citizens arriving in the US at IAD? If that has become routine for US citizens at IAD -- whether or not using APC kiosks (distinct from GE kiosks) -- that would be new and news to me.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What makes you sure that they were fingerprinting all adult US citizens arriving in the US at IAD? If that has become routine for US citizens at IAD -- whether or not using APC kiosks (distinct from GE kiosks) -- that would be new and news to me.
Here's what I saw; two lines at passport control. One for US citizens, permanent residents and ESTA travelers. The other for everyone else. The first line was routed to kiosks (and I don't know which kind of kiosk); the kiosk recorded fingerprints.

I was really surprised to see them taking fingerprints from US citizens. I'm not a citizen (I'm a green card holder); I was watching folks use the kiosks because I hadn't used one before and wanted to figure out what to do.

I suppose a person could use the other line if they didn't want to give fingerprints. I assume a US citizen can't be denied entry or penalized because they refuse this?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:33 pm
Suspended

I've used APC kiosks at well more than a dozen airports, most of them this year too; and not once did we as US citizens have to submit fingerprints to use them. I'm including a few entries within the past four weeks too.

Some APC kiosks, having fingerprint scanning capabilities, are used by a set of qualified users of the US VWP. Even there, fingerprinting is not required of US citizens.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 7, 2014 at 3:38 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Which country's passport holders can use APCs (besides for American passports)?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Which country's passport holders can use APCs (besides for American passports)?
Canadians. Also, at some airports, US visa waiver program countries' nationals with an ESTA and meeting some other standards have been allowed to use APC kiosks for admission to the US.

"U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008."

From the horse's mouth.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've used APC kiosks at well more than a dozen airports, most of them this year too; and not once did we as US citizens have to submit fingerprints to use them. I'm including a few entries within the past four weeks too.
Interesting. How did you know that you didn't have to submit fingerprints?

I'll admit, I came into Dulles late at night and was jetlagged, and had a lot of difficulty with the machine (there were no instructions). Does one have to know in advance that fingerprints are not required (IOW if you just follow through the prompts, will it ask for fingerprints and you must refuse, or are US citizens not asked?)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended

We followed the prompts on, and used, the APC kiosks without submitting fingerprints and then exited the arrivals facility without issue; that is how I know.

How did I know prior to use that fingerprints weren't required of us? Between updates on CBP briefings and contractors' actions in this area, I already knew.

The machines know my US citizenship as soon as I swipe my passport and get the ball rolling to do my declarations at the APC kiosks.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I'm Canadian and have Global Entry so I'm quite used to giving up my fingerprints with the GE kiosks.

However, the one time I used the APC @ YVR (travelling with my wife who doesn't have GE) I'm pretty sure it didn't 'print us. Assume it's because we're Canadian.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gglave
I'm Canadian and have Global Entry so I'm quite used to giving up my fingerprints with the GE kiosks.

However, the one time I used the APC @ YVR (travelling with my wife who doesn't have GE) I'm pretty sure it didn't 'print us. Assume it's because we're Canadian.
I've repeatedly used the APC kiosks at YVR and so have I used the GE kiosks at YVR. The former didn't require my fingerprints, but the GE kiosks do. Last time I used the APC kiosks at YVR, they were only being used by citizens of the U.S. and/or Canada, and so fingerprinting wasn't part of the picture.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If the APC is basically doing the same thing as GE, why wouldn't a GE member who uses them be able to use the GE line exiting customs?
Machine should know passenger is GE
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:28 am

Non-Global Entry, but used Global Entry kiosk?

I do not have Global Entry, but from what I have read it allows you to use a kiosk (your passport is inserted and information processed) where you answer a few customs questions (e.g., Are you bringing in any food items).

Recently I arrived, as a US citizen, back into the US from an international trip. This was at LAX. The airport staff called out: "US citizens, use these kiosks." Did not notice if the kiosks were labeled as Global Entry, but I inserted my passport, answered the customs questions, then a receipt with my photo on it printed out. The customs declaration card I had filled out on the plane was not needed, the immigration officer told me (since I had completed the customs questions at the kiosk).

So, my question is: Was this in fact Global Entry that I was using at that kiosk? If not, how was my experience different from what I would have done if I had been enrolled in Global Entry?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
That was probably an Automated Passport Control kiosk, which any US citizen can use. Global Entry kiosks require fingerprints for identification and you don't talk to an immigration officer. With GE, you get the receipt and head to baggage claim and the exit (unless you're declaring or selected for secondary).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by dustman81
That was probably an Automated Passport Control kiosk...With GE, you get the receipt and head to baggage claim and the exit
Thanks, dustman81. I figured it must have been a different thing.

Question: If I have some cookies or a bag of packaged coffee beans (in other words, common food items) that I am bringing into the US, I am required to check Yes when asked (on the screen) if I have any food items. With Global Entry, would checking Yes then require me to see an officer (so that they could question me as to what food items I am bringing in)?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by muji
Thanks, dustman81. I figured it must have been a different thing.

Question: If I have some cookies or a bag of packaged coffee beans (in other words, common food items) that I am bringing into the US, I am required to check Yes when asked (on the screen) if I have any food items. With Global Entry, would checking Yes then require me to see an officer (so that they could question me as to what food items I am bringing in)?
Yes, as you're declaring. However, GE members get priority in secondary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.