Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Agent Tries to Not Recognize NM Driver'se License as ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

This afternoon, at the AA security checkpoint at JFK, the TSA ID checker saw my New Mexico ID and asked me if I had a passport, stating that they did not accept the New Mexico driver's license. I asked her if she was kidding and explained that New Mexico is a state. She looked like she did not know what to do. After looking around, she let me pass.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by guflyer
This afternoon, at the AA security checkpoint at JFK, the TSA ID checker saw my New Mexico ID and asked me if I had a passport, stating that they did not accept the New Mexico driver's license. I asked her if she was kidding and explained that New Mexico is a state. She looked like she did not know what to do. After looking around, she let me pass.
I conjecture a two word explanation: Pizza box
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:15 pm

...stating that they did not accept the New Mexico driver's license
Good to know that the NM driver's license is treated the same as a German passport at IAD. (Yes, it took a supervisor to tell the TDC that YES, they DO accept them)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Bolding mine: akes you feel really safe, doesn't it?

Now, any guesses if this cerebral lightweight went to the same training class is this other cerebral lightweight

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...tsa-agent.html
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:14 am

this is what happens when you hire high-school drop outs, put an uniform on them, demand everyone to call them "officers", and at the end of the day they are still who they are: idiots that probably can't survive a week working for McDonalds.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:56 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
A few years ago I had a TSA agent at LGA claim that my Michigan drivers license was a fake, because "everyone knows" that Kalamazoo is in Canada, not the US. I held up the palm of my right hand, as all good Michiganders do, to show him exactly where Kalamazoo is, but he still did not believe me. He had to call a supervisor to verify. Unbelievable.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
As if we needed more reasons to use a Passport Card (or Passport or GE Card or Nexus card) at the checkpoint.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
These people should be fired on the spot - why should I pay the salaries of these idiots? Honestly, I'm not sure I could keep my cool in this situation without yelling and verbally humiliating them in front of everyone.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The currently valid US Passport Card is "rejected" more by the TSA than even a NM license that expired a few months ago. That's the TSA being the TSA: inconsistent.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The currently valid US Passport Card is "rejected" more by the TSA than even a NM license that expired a few months ago. That's the TSA being the TSA: inconsistent.
I think the word you were looking for is incompetent not inconsistent.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think the word you were looking for is incompetent not inconsistent.
Even their incompetence is inconsistent.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
These people should be fired on the spot - why should I pay the salaries of these idiots? Honestly, I'm not sure I could keep my cool in this situation without yelling and verbally humiliating them in front of everyone.
These people on average gets $45K salary with full benefits usually unmatched by private industry until you made management level. And Obama is whining the gov't can't make any cuts and the private sector needs to bare more burdens...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
...I asked her if she was kidding and explained that New Mexico is a state. She looked like she did not know what to do.
Originally Posted by Taz
A few years ago I had a TSA agent at LGA claim that my Michigan drivers license was a fake, because "everyone knows" that Kalamazoo is in Canada, not the US.
I have a cunning business plan to convince TSA management that they need a World Atlas at each and every checkpoint, buy up a lot of these, and then sell them to TSA at , hmm, $15,000 each. Just my little surcharge for, umm, checking that they're accurate.

Whoops, never mind, you didn't see anything...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I have a cunning business plan to convince TSA management that they need a World Atlas at each and every checkpoint, buy up a lot of these, and then sell them to TSA at , hmm, $15,000 each. Just my little surcharge for, umm, checking that they're accurate.

RadioGirl, you think way too small.

Outfit them all with personal IPads equipped with a tailored-for-the-TDC Google maps app to enable them to verify questionable geography. You can milk that for way more than $15k each, especially when you throw in replacement units every six months in order to keep the maps current...Throw in custom IPad cases with the DHS logo at $500 each, and you're onto something.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RadioGirl

We can package them with my knife gauges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.