Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DHS questioned over decision to let Saudi passengers skip normal passport controls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DHS questioned over decision to let Saudi passengers skip normal passport controls

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by mre5765
Well the clue is in the earlier part of your post. On average, a Saudi represents a higher security risk than an Australian. The GE background check will lower the risk and allow the USA to focus resources on higher risks.
An average Yemeni and Pakistani is an even higher risk. GE them, too, so the US can than focus more resources on Ozzies and Brits. Do you work for the DHS/TSA, by any chance?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
An average Yemeni and Pakistani is an even higher risk. GE them, too, so the US can than focus more resources on Ozzies and Brits. Do you work for the DHS/TSA, by any chance?
Higher risk in what ways? In some ways are't they lower risk?

Australians and the British don't commit crimes too? And these OECD countries citizens are ordinarily allowed travel to the US without the visa application and repeated interview hassles and related costs that are applicable to those from non-VWP countries.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Originally Posted by goalie
And by a show of hands, how many think the Saudi's are trustworthy? Rich as all get where their money talks, but trustworthy?
Trustworthy has many different meanings. Would I trust them if seated across the negotiating table? Would I trust them not to smuggle a chemical weapon into my country?

I don't know enough about Saudis in general to answer the questions, but I do know that many ultra wealthy people probably had unscrupulous dealings along the way, so not sure I'd take them at their word when doing a deal. But there's a huge gulf between trust in someone's moral character in business and trust that one won't resort to violence with the sole intent to terrorize civilians. At the end of the day, though, I trust that those with buckets of oil money are primarily loyal to that money and probably don't pose a physical danger to anyone in our country. So check the "trustworthy" box for the most part at passport control. Customs is another question .
You mention moral character and that those with buckets of oil money are primarily loyal to that money and that (imho) says a lot about moral character as it's all about the money and and nothing else-other than using said money to protect one's self interests and family members at the expense of others (no matter how nefarious they may be) But that's just me
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Higher risk in what ways? In some ways are't they lower risk?
Using the same criteria as the poster I answered to determined, that KSA citizens are "higher" risk than Ozzies.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Using the same criteria as the poster I answered to determined, that KSA citizens are "higher" risk than Ozzies.
Higher risk persons are less likely to get visas from US consular service facilities or are they more likely to get visas from the same?

Those from VWP countries more easily travel to/from/within the US with less extensive checks than those from non-VWP countries, and it is a big part about why the CBP's IAP has the history it does in VWP countries. Perhaps that is a measure of some risk, but it certainly is not a measure of all risks.

I doubt that a Saudi national is anywhere near as likely to smuggle in drugs into the US than a British or Australian national, yet the customs control is more likely to interdict drug smugglers than a variety of other "security" risk persons for which CBP is also tasked to try to interdict.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think my sarcasm was lost on you.

I took the original idea of easing controls of higher risk visitors in order to have more resources controlling lower risk visitors more (nearly) to reductio ad absurdum
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm coming late to the party, but better late than never.

My opinion is that until Saudi Arabia opens their borders to US tourists in the same manner that the US does for Saudis, the US should refuse entry to any Saudi who does not meet the same restrictions that Saudi places on foreigners.

In other words, if you don't have an invitation or aren't part of a government sanctioned tour group that maintains positive control of all the tourists, Saudis are not getting in.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by CZBB
#1 supplier of oil to the United States: CANADA

Perhaps the US could start by treating Canadians better, like say not requiring fingerprints at air/sea borders? Actually putting enough staff at the borders? Or my favourite, putting border guards (inside Canada at YVR) who are unaware what a 'province' is.
Since when does the US require fingerprints for Canadians at air/sea borders? I haven't been through without GE in a year or two now but I was never fingerprinted once before that. Not to mention that pre-clearance actually saves time for Canadians, not increases it.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ahuch
Since when does the US require fingerprints for Canadians at air/sea borders? I haven't been through without GE in a year or two now but I was never fingerprinted once before that. Not to mention that pre-clearance actually saves time for Canadians, not increases it.
In general the US does not require fingerprints for Canadian citizens entering the United States except for certain specific visa classifications. Certain visa classes require fingerprints regardless of the individual's citizenship. This is a function of the procedures necessary for the those particular visa classifications.

FB
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:57 am
Suspended

Qatari citizens are scheduled to be included in Global Entry. How much fuss will be created over that?

By the way, Saudi Arabia had been giving the CIA a free hand of sort to run targeted assasination campaigns from there for the many times where DOD is not allowed to lawfully use military assets to take out people in the MENA/EA region. Are those Saudi citizens good enough for assisting US intelligence operations not good enough for Global Entry?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Qatari citizens are scheduled to be included in Global Entry. How much fuss will be created over that?
Considering Qatar already provides US citizens visa-on-arrival privileges, this is probably the least we can do. Not to mention that the (usually unfriendly) US visa process will still very much apply.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Considering Qatar already provides US citizens visa-on-arrival privileges, this is probably the least we can do. Not to mention that the (usually unfriendly) US visa process will still very much apply.
Citizenship from most European countries (except Dutch), which do not require tourist visas from US citizens, does not get you into the program. I donīt see how Qatar is a lower risk origin for a traveler (the supposed reason you can qualify for Global Entry).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Citizenship from most European countries (except Dutch), which do not require tourist visas from US citizens, does not get you into the program. I donīt see how Qatar is a lower risk origin for a traveler (the supposed reason you can qualify for Global Entry).
As I stated in the post you quoted, and has been stated many times above with regard to Saudi nationals, Qataris are required to go through a stringent visa process which most European nationals are not. This, combined with the fact that Qatari economic circumstances (applicable to Qatari nationals, not expats in Qatar) and Qatari visa rejection rates are very much in line with what would otherwise qualify for the US Visa Waiver Program, actually makes Qatar (and a number of other GCC country nationals) perfect candidates for Global Entry.

It should be noted that GE is also slowly being expanded to European nationals as well, most recently UK and German nationals (with the UK not reciprocating with a similar system for US citizens).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:43 am

I am a Saudi I can easily say every Saudi knows US travelers to Saudi Arabia get preferred treatment over Saudis by every Saudi government entity, when in fact we get the worst treatment at US ports of entry.

What I have said is not based claims or assumptions; it is purely based on personal experience since mid-70s to date
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Don't we usually hold off on making such arrangements until there's a reciprocal agreement?

Will US travelers to Saudi Arabia get preferred treatment at Saudi passport control?

No, I thought not.

I wonder how burdensome it is for a Saudi tourist to get a US visa.

I wonder how burdensome it is for an American tourist to get a Saudi visa.
If these arrangements were all "reciprocal," entering most countries would become a bureaucratic nightmare for Americans, if they could get in at all, and they would be subjected to hostile questioning and abusive treatment on arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.