Search

TLV and Israeli security discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I normally take the morning BA flight, but I haven't been to Israel all year. They are no longer scanning baggage.
You must mean that you no longer see them screening the baggage that gets checked in at TLV.

That the scanning of bags gets shifted more generally to in-line screening (after the bags are checked in and is not done in the view of as many passengers) doesn't mean that they are no longer scanning baggage.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You must mean that you no longer see them screening the baggage that gets checked in at TLV.

That the scanning of bags gets shifted more generally to in-line screening (after the bags are checked in and is not done in the view of as many passengers) doesn't mean that they are no longer scanning baggage.
Well obviously they're scanning, but in the past you used to have your hold luggage opened in the main hall and various items were scrubbed, they asked you to explain various bits, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Obviously they are scanned. Simply now, there's no scan while waiting for check-in which saves considerable time and hassle.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Obviously they are scanned. Simply now, there's no scan while waiting for check-in which saves considerable time and hassle.
Personally, I would prefer the hassle and have my bags opened where I can see it.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:47 am

Second level of security (the one with many questions) said "don't lock your checked luggage." But TSA locks are the exception (ok to lock!). They did search my checked luggage and left a card inside saying as such. Not everything was placed back inside the (re)locked portion of that bag though - some placed in other smaller pockets
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:50 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) First time in years that my "get-out-of-security-free" card was months out of date.
What card are you talking about?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
Personally, I would prefer the hassle and have my bags opened where I can see it.
They always had the option and ability to re-scan and inspect after check-in anyways.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well obviously they're scanning, but in the past you used to have your hold luggage opened in the main hall and various items were scrubbed, they asked you to explain various bits, etc.
I know that, but obviously you said the following: "They are no longer scanning baggage."

And people should know that obviously they are still screening bags, just a different process (and visibility level) than before.

Originally Posted by Dovster
I don't prefer the hassle, but if the hassle hits I too would rather have that bag opening done in my view.

It would be interesting to see how this changes rates of theft and other baggage irregularity claims for bags coming from TLV.

Originally Posted by DBCme
Second level of security (the one with many questions) said "don't lock your checked luggage." But TSA locks are the exception (ok to lock!). They did search my checked luggage and left a card inside saying as such. Not everything was placed back inside the (re)locked portion of that bag though - some placed in other smaller pockets
Did it appear to you like they may have emptied all the contents out of your bag and scanned your bag while it was empty? That has been part of the routine sometimes and it makes for more interesting repacking jobs when you aren't there to do it or guide it yourself.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 11, 2014 at 11:31 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Ooh i'm 100% sure they still check and swab.
Getting the "5's" and having to spend around 2-2.5 hours to clear security at night and knowing that they will take everything out & swab and search your luggage i can appreciate the different process.

It saves time but I'm sure noone said "don't lock your checked luggage" to me (TSA was able to open them without problems) or informed those people that taking your DVD/sunglasses out and dumping them randomly back in, topping it off with 18 kg of random luggage will result in a broken lock (and beside inspection note) a cheap replacement lock inside, a scratched DVD and broken sunglasses.

They tried that in the past but at least could ask them to but it back safely in the holder when all was done in view, ,lol
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:23 pm

I was last in Israel in July, and they had moved the checked luggage screening outside of the main lobby.

They had also made podiums for the security interviews (I'm not sure what purpose that serves.) They used to just walk down the line and ask their questions.

When I was there, it looked like NOBODY was getting any sort of secondary inspection, but it was a quiet day at the airport.

I now have a new passport. My previous one was covered with "#1" security stickers from Ben Gurion Airport. So my next trip out of Israel might require lengthier security procedures. But maybe not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.