Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Entering the US with outstanding misdemeanor warrant(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entering the US with outstanding misdemeanor warrant(s)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
OP's question related to citizenship. I specifically referred to nationality. Being precise sometimes matters.
Oh brother. Even many US Gov't publications use the term "citizen" when they really mean national. And how many people are nationals but not citizens? People born in American Samoa? It's a small-enough distinction that it is usually ignored.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm Reason: personalizing
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Steve M
So, this leaves the following questions:

1. Does the CBP officer at the port of entry have direct and automatic access to state records? That is, will a standard passport scan that returns no hits in NCIC or other federal databases nonetheless alert the CBP officer if there is an outstanding misdemeanor warrant? If so, is this limited to the state where the port of entry is located, or does it extend to multiple states or all states?

2. If the answer to 1) is Yes, even if it's only for the state where the port of entry is located, does CBP routinely take into custody those that have such outstanding warrants?
Seems like the general consensus in this thread is that the answer is, "Ya might be."

Which then begs the question, "Why wouldn't you take care of said warrants before international travel rather than take the risk of being arrested?"

Dude, just take care of the warrant. Turn yourself in, spend a night in jail, pay a citation, whatever it takes. If it's a misdemeanor warrant, the consequences of taking care of it are likely far less severe and far less hassle than being arrested and detained in an airport upon re-entering the US from a foreign trip.

I'm just sayin'...

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reason: requote trimmed for readability
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes. There are times when it just makes sense to plan on taking care of the issue rather than let it be an open sore that could unexpectedly pop up its ugly head. Budgeting the resources and time to get the chapter closed as best as possible may well cause less headaches than being hit by a nasty surprise at the wrong time. [For example, detained on a trip back to the US to see a dying parent rather than resolving the issue long before that kind of situation arises where an effort was made to see a dying parent but frustrated by a detention/arrest/whatnot.]
milski likes this.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reason: readability
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:57 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP's question related to citizenship. I specifically referred to nationality. Being precise sometimes matters.
Originally Posted by zerogx
Aren't all citizens nationals, thus anything relating to non-nationals is irrelevant?
Yes.

So I think the risk of being arrested has to take into consideration how serious the crime is and how far away from the warrant's issuing jurisdiction you are, both of which will affect the issuing agency's willingness to pay to have you transported.
So now all you have to do is decide what your risk tolerance is. It seems most would rather take care of a warrant than risk undesired consequences returning from abroad.

Without more information on the warrant(s) and state(s) and POE, it would be impossible for anyone to know in your case if you would be held. Even with more information I doubt you'll get an answer to bank on here.

Oh brother.
Indeed.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:55 am

It is entirely possible that you could be arrested. I haven't practiced criminal law in quite a few years, but I had a case once where a young man had an outstanding 'failure to appear' warrant on a drug charge (small scale marijuana growing). He had no idea there was even a warrant out for him--he'd moved out of the house where his ex-roomies were growing pot before the case got filed. Coming back to the US from Japan with his dad, his warrant showed up and he was taken out of the airport in handcuffs. Next day, he was visited in jail by a warrants officer who asked him to waive extradition. He did.

The problem was, once he waived extradition, our state courts lost jurisdiction over him (which had been based on the interstate compact fugitive warrant, not his underlying failure to appear in court warrant.) It's true that his home state would almost certainly have declined to transport him back, but that would have meant that he would have stayed in jail till the time period for extradition expired (60 or 90 days, depending...) And we couldn't have set bail or a personal recognizance release because we'd lost jurisdiction. Not a good situation. (I will omit the end of the story, which involves creative motions practice and a cooperative prosecutor at both ends of the system. Those things might not happen routinely.)

So, lesson one--do not assume that they won't find the warrant. They did twenty years ago, when computerized records were almost certainly less complete than today.

Lesson two--do not assume that, just because your home state doesn't care to extradite, you won't be held. You very well might be held till the deadline for extradition passes without your home state coming to get you.

Lesson three--do not waive extradition. If you do, you're stuck in a jail where the local court has no power to release you.

Lesson four--get yourself a decent lawyer asap. It's the only advice that you could be given here that is 100% guaranteed to be accurate.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by flitcraft
Lesson three--do not waive extradition.
Good general rule: don't waive anything until you've consulted a good attorney!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott

Generally speaking, state misdemeanor warrants are not entered into NCIC
Errr... Yes they are.

1. Does the CBP officer at the port of entry have direct and automatic access to state records? That is, will a standard passport scan that returns no hits in NCIC or other federal databases nonetheless alert the CBP officer if there is an outstanding misdemeanor warrant?
Yes.... CBP uses their own system plus NCIC. The "N" in NCIC stands for NATIONAL.

2. If the answer to 1) is Yes, even if it's only for the state where the port of entry is located, does CBP routinely take into custody those that have such outstanding warrants?
They will take you into custody, contact the agency that issued the warrant, and see if they want to come fetch you or not. If they don't want to fetch you, you will be released and advised to take care of the warrant.......

Some agencies will travel nation-wide to fetch folks....while others won't travel out of the City Limits.

Just depends on the nature of the warrant and how badly they want you.....
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:47 am

I went through this type of thing years ago. They generally won't extradite to another State on a misdemeanor warrant. Felony, yes.
Don't go back to the State with the warrant; if they catch
you (and they will)they'll bus you around in shackles to make an example of you. Call an attorney and ask what can be done to remedy the
situation. If it's just a few days in the clink, get it over with.
It will be much more severe (eg, many more days or weeks) if they catch you, rather than voluntary surrender.
It'll be hard to get jobs and stuff with that "capias" hanging over your head.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:26 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Errr... Yes they are.
I thought it is up to the state in the case of misdemeanors, or is everyone putting everything in nowadays?

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Some agencies will travel nation-wide to fetch folks....while others won't travel out of the City Limits.

Just depends on the nature of the warrant and how badly they want you.....
Budgets are very tight nowadays; counties and states can barely afford to keep people in jail/prison, much less pay for a misdemeanor prisoner to travel possibly across the country. Doesn't mean it wont happen, but I imagine happens less nowadays than it did a decade ago.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex

As I understand it, CBP does not award stay credit, bonus points or the like, but you do get all 3 meals included for the price of the room.
But you might get time served credit if the judge in the issuing jurisdiction sentences you to jail time... Won't get you any closer to elite status, but it's something...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:57 am

Here's a question that came up in my mind: If you're just going to reenter the US without any prior arrangements and hope it goes alright, are you better off entering as far away from the jurisdiction with the outstanding warrant or as close as possible?

I ask because entering far away means they're less likely to come for you, but you are more likely to sit in CBP custody while they figure it out/just let the extradition period expire whereas if you enter at the closest possible point you can likely have it sorted out same/next day (or at least post bail).

My goal in this case would be to minimize unnecessary time in custody rather than trying to avoid the issue altogether, given the criteria that the OP set out.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Here's a question that came up in my mind: If you're just going to reenter the US without any prior arrangements and hope it goes alright, are you better off entering as far away from the jurisdiction with the outstanding warrant or as close as possible?

I ask because entering far away means they're less likely to come for you, but you are more likely to sit in CBP custody while they figure it out/just let the extradition period expire whereas if you enter at the closest possible point you can likely have it sorted out same/next day (or at least post bail).

My goal in this case would be to minimize unnecessary time in custody rather than trying to avoid the issue altogether, given the criteria that the OP set out.
Proximity to the prosecutor's office and or court with jurisdiction over the matter works far better for such situations. Having a lawyer deal with the prosecutor's office in advance of arrival might help too.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Proximity to the prosecutor's office and or court with jurisdiction over the matter works far better for such situations. Having a lawyer deal with the prosecutor's office in advance of arrival might help too.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the last part, I'm also of the opinion that one should take care of this before traveling. If that is, for some reason, undesirable, I'm curious whether it's better to have a lawyer deal with the prosecutor's office prior to arrival, or to simply have a lawyer at the ready (heck, perhaps pay their hourly to have them be the one to pick you up from the airport) on the off chance you aren't flagged and can deal with this later, after not having just spent many hours, across multiple timezones, on a plane?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
I'm curious as to if its really a state level warrant, or something smaller (county). I once had a county warrant for a parking ticket that was written wrongly (I had a toll booth receipt from 50 miles away within an hour on the parking ticket). Got pulled over a few months later in my hometown, and the cop told me "just so you know you have an open warrant in XXX county. It isn't extraditable from here, but it is from the following counties: XXX YYY ZZZ".

Just something to keep in mind, if you happen to know a local cop who won't bust you on the positive warrant hit, they might be able to tell you where the extradition zone is.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by Ari
I thought it is up to the state in the case of misdemeanors, or is everyone putting everything in nowadays?

Up to the agency. As stated, I know some agencies that will travel all over the world to go fetch folks no matter what the warrant is....while others won't even meet you at the County Line to pick one up.....

Originally Posted by Ari
Budgets are very tight nowadays; counties and states can barely afford to keep people in jail/prison, much less pay for a misdemeanor prisoner to travel possibly across the country. Doesn't mean it wont happen, but I imagine happens less nowadays than it did a decade ago.
My old agency (along with alot of other agencies) charge defendants to go fetch them....and tack it on to their fines....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.