Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FAA to reevaluate inflight portable electronic device use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

From NetworkWorld:

The Federal Aviation Administration today said it was forming a government-industry group to study the current portable electronic device use policies commercial aviation use to determine when these devices can be used safely during flight. The group however will not "consider the airborne use of cell phones for voice communications during flight."

The FAA said that the first it will take is gathering public input on current policies. A Request for Comments will appear in the Federal Register on August 28th. You can send your comments to [email protected].
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Seems that if a pilot can use an iPad on take-off & landing, then a pax should also be allowed to.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
FAA vs TSA

Originally Posted by the article
The FAA said that the first it will take is gathering public input on current policies. A Request for Comments will appear in the Federal Register on August 28th. You can send your comments to [email protected].
Hmm. FAA wants to do a study and solicits public comments.

In contrast, TSA decides to virtually strip search and irradiate innocent passengers, does not solicit public comments, and permanently ignores a court order to solicit public comments.

Yet more evidence that TSA should be disbanded and airport security oversight should be returned to FAA where it belongs.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Seems that if a pilot can use an iPad on take-off & landing, then a pax should also be allowed to.
The analogy doesn't hold. Cockpit iPads have FAA-approved brackets to keep them from becoming projectiles. Plus, it's good for pax to have situational awareness at those critical phases. For that same reason, I also wish all airlines had a shades-up policy for take-off and landing.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:21 pm

It'd be awesome if I could read my Kindle during takeoff and landing in the US, like I can when I travel in Europe.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
The analogy doesn't hold. Cockpit iPads have FAA-approved brackets to keep them from becoming projectiles. Plus, it's good for pax to have situational awareness at those critical phases. For that same reason, I also wish all airlines had a shades-up policy for take-off and landing.
But I'm not required to stow my 1.5# hardback book during takeoff & landing, how is an iPad any more "dangerous"?

And we're not told we can't use our devices during takeoff & landing out of a fear that they might become projectiles, but rather because the electronics can interfere with flight systems.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JObeth66
But I'm not required to stow my 1.5# hardback book during takeoff & landing, how is an iPad any more "dangerous"?

And we're not told we can't use our devices during takeoff & landing out of a fear that they might become projectiles, but rather because the electronics can interfere with flight systems.
Yeah. These days my Kindle is lighter than any book I bring along.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:43 pm

An iPad weighs less than a hardback book or a child in lap, and takes up less attention. This argument has been weak for many years.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
An iPad weighs less than a hardback book or a child in lap, and takes up less attention. This argument has been weak for many years.
Well, I wouldn't want to get smacked by any of the above. Out of an abundance of caution, I personally stow all reading material for take-off and landing and would not mind one bit if that was a rule, too. I know that's an unpopular position, but I don't like the idea of objects that are distracting and/or physically loose in the cabin during those times. We're talking a minute or so total here.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Well, I wouldn't want to get smacked by any of the above. Out of an abundance of caution, I personally stow all reading material for take-off and landing and would not mind one bit if that was a rule, too. I know that's an unpopular position, but I don't like the idea of objects that are distracting and/or physically loose in the cabin during those times. We're talking a minute or so total here.
Plus the five minutes it takes for the flight attendants to inspect the cabin to make sure everyone stowed everything away when the pilot asked.

Plus the extra five minutes imposed when the pilot initiates the request to put everything away a little early, just "out of an abundance of caution", so that everything is done well ahead of time.

Plus the extra 10-15 minutes imposed when, at the last moment, the aircraft is placed into a holding pattern, or switches runways, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong; if there's really a safety issue here (and I'm undecided as to whether there is or not), I don't mind being asked to put my book away. But let's be clear: we're not talking about "a minute", but many minutes.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The current regulations prohibit use of electronic devices during critical phases of flight unless the carrier has demonstrated they are safe. That seems a bit more prudent than allowing all devices until they are proven dangerous.

Virtually all electronic devices emit some amount of EMI (electromagnetic interference). Wireless receivers and particularly wireless transmitters emit far more when that function is in use.

Since airlines know what devices they are placing in the cockpit, they can run tests to demonstrate to the FAA that the devices do not affect safe aircraft operation. That test only applies to that type of device.

The pilot can ensure the wireless transmit and receive function is turned off when in the cockpit, or the airline can make that setting the default.

Most passengers aren't so conscientious.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:17 am

I don't believe that FA announcements to turn off electrical devices garner anywhere near 100% compliance. Therefore, I'll assert that cell phones, tablets, and other devices commonly fly today in the "on" position. (If anyone has proof to the contrary, please provide it).

Because those devices fly in the "on" position (transmitting) every day and no calamity has occurred, the FAA should reconsider their rules.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by JObeth66

Yep... I'm all for safety that makes sense. I hate being given a lie for a reason to put my kindle away. I have from time to time, forgotten to switch off my phone in my carry-on bag - still here to talk about it. No kindle or phone has EVER resulted in an incident.

I have a HEAVY book that I carry with me from time to time. If it became a projectile? It would blast through the safety door and hit the pilot on the head killing her instantly. Never been asked to put it away.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:11 am

I've always had a theory that the real reason for the "off during takeoff and landing" rule is so that, if an emergency requires quick action (like evacuation), the FAs won't have to compete with your electronic device for attention. Of course, they'd rather not say it this way.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by mahohmei
I've always had a theory that the real reason for the "off during takeoff and landing" rule is so that, if an emergency requires quick action (like evacuation), the FAs won't have to compete with your electronic device for attention. Of course, they'd rather not say it this way.
I agree with that.

I have long been of the opinion that the rule against electronics is superstitious nonsense, but I've also believed that it's a prudent idea to secure all loose items during take off and approach to prevent them from becoming projectiles in the event of a sudden, unexpected direction change. And yes, I believe that includes lap babies, the very concept of which I find outrageously risky on a plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.