Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Chiangi Security Failed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Singapore Chiangi Security Failed

I was on the flight from Singapore to BKK with Jetstar which was on the Sunday 12th August. The flight was 3K513 which was delayed till 21.30.

As the gate opened at 20.30pm we proceeded at 20.45 (I was with friends who can also verify this). We went to gate D40 and then went through the security procedures, however I had a 120ML bottle of water which was confiscated at the gate. However the Co Pilot went in ahead of us with a large drink in his hands and was allowed through. I questioned this straight away and the security said he is allowed as he is the captain (I found out after he was the co pilot). I said this was a breach of security and she said that he is the captain and allowed to again, I know this is not the case right?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In the U.S. airline pilots can carry guns. So I wouldn't get too worked up about seeing one holding a Mountain Dew.

Last edited by jphripjah; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:00 pm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Well its not that he had a drink its the point i am making are crew allowed to bypass the security which should be the same for everyone
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's not the same for everyone. That's why the pilots can carry guns The pilots have gone through extensive background checks and have been deemed to be trustworthy enough to be given keys to the airplane and not deliberately crash it. The passengers are the unknown element and need to be screened.

If a pilot wants to kill everyone on the plane he isn't going to hide explosives in his Big Gulp.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by ekgoldmember
I was on the flight from Singapore to BKK with Jetstar which was on the Sunday 12th August. The flight was 3K513 which was delayed till 21.30.

As the gate opened at 20.30pm we proceeded at 20.45 (I was with friends who can also verify this). We went to gate D40 and then went through the security procedures, however I had a 120ML bottle of water which was confiscated at the gate. However the Co Pilot went in ahead of us with a large drink in his hands and was allowed through. I questioned this straight away and the security said he is allowed as he is the captain (I found out after he was the co pilot). I said this was a breach of security and she said that he is the captain and allowed to again, I know this is not the case right?
You do realize that the pilot can crash the plane at ANY time? Even without the aid of a soft drink?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
You do realize that the pilot can crash the plane at ANY time? Even without the aid of a soft drink?
Even with a cappuccino, you mean?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by littlesheep
Even with a cappuccino, you mean?
Even without snow globes!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Well its not that he had a drink its the point i am making are crew allowed to bypass the security which should be the same for everyone
Right, they have avoided the security checkpoint. They don't have go through again.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:02 am

there are few ways to think about it....

pilots have had background checks,
the pilots is in control of the plane behind a lock door so frankly it does not matter what the pilot carries on, the pilot still control the "steering wheel".

Look up Know Crew Member (KCM) pilots avoid screening every day, and not just pilots carrying firearms...not all pilots carry a firearm.

Soon, all flight crew - pilots and attendants - will bypass security
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
It's not the same for everyone. That's why the pilots can carry guns The pilots have gone through extensive background checks and have been deemed to be trustworthy enough to be given keys to the airplane and not deliberately crash it. The passengers are the unknown element and need to be screened.

If a pilot wants to kill everyone on the plane he isn't going to hide explosives in his Big Gulp.
Extensive background check failure below...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jetblue-pil...ry?id=16967151

Everyone is an unknown element.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:06 am

This happens every day. I've witnessed it myself: Going through transfer security (intl->domestic) at PHL, a (co)pilot was behind me at the x-ray. I made a comment about the lack of a special/priority crew lane there, and we had a chuckle that at least he got to keep his water bottle

I see two orthogonal ways to think about this:

(a) Since the TSA et al. are security theather anyway, the more exceptions the better. Why would you want your pilot to be dehydrated or pissed off?

(b) If the TSA et al. screening had any actual security value (i.e., not security theater), then the standard must be the same for everybody--the idea being to keep out certain items, regardless of who's holding them. Yes, a pilot can crash the plane with his hands, but a non-suicidal pilot can also hand off the explosives/guns/drugs/cash/whatevercontraband to somebody else inside the secure area, possibly without implicating themselves. Crew uniforms and badges can also be forged--another among many reasons why making exceptions based on someone's identity is problematic from a security perspective

Since (b) is so far fetched as to be laughable, I'll have to go with (a)...

Mentally ill pilots a la JetBlue are a whole different ballpark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.