Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Have you ever seen TSA workers outside of the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:52 am

(deleted)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Wrong. The "bad apples" would create false reports to get rid of the "good apples" (if indeed there are any in the festering pustulent swamp of moral decay we currently call "the TSA.")

Then the corrupt managers would fire the "good apples" based on those false reports.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The TSA is beyond redemption. It needs to be abolished.
There are plenty of good apples that report the bad apples for free on a daily basis, but the POS managers are afraid to confront the bad apples. It's time to purge the managers.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
You guys have seen them outside of the airport?

Shouldn't they be chained up at night?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tsadude1
There are plenty of good apples that report the bad apples for free on a daily basis, but the POS managers are afraid to confront the bad apples. It's time to purge the managers.
You can't blame the managers for everything. A huge reason for the toleration of "bad apples" within the federal workforce is due to personnel policies and regulations which make it almost impossible to fire a federal employee after they have completed their probationary employment period.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
I don't guess you just mean outside of the terminal...

Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
I don't guess you just mean outside of the terminal...

Wow -- On one hand, imagine getting groped by this guy?

On the other hand, he really needs some sort of intervention and discipline in his food intake if he plans to be vertical and above room temperature into middle age. I sincerely hope he has a wake-up call very soon.

On the other, other hand, I wonder how he got the job in the first place? On can presume he ate the box right along with the pizza.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by halls120
You can't blame the managers for everything. A huge reason for the toleration of "bad apples" within the federal workforce is due to personnel policies and regulations which make it almost impossible to fire a federal employee after they have completed their probationary employment period.
Supposedly that has all changed now...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._webtsa01.html

Rep Mike Rogers, chairman of the House Homeland Security Transportation subcommittee "responded positively when told the TSA had started immediately firing employees caught stealing, using drugs or failing to screen passengers and luggage.

"That's a new development. I'm glad to hear that," Rogers said."

Of course, even if that's done, it won't matter if they keep reinstating 'bad apples' - like the HNL manager who has been re-instated twice now (two separate incidents) on appeal, with back pay and a promotion. Or Minetta Walters, BDO, who was dismissed and re-hired.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:44 am

Wrong answer. Managers have to be willing to invest the time to get rid of the bad apples. This usually interferes with their numerous coffee, ,smoke, and extended lunch breaks.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:47 am
Suspended

Of course, there's also the simple willingness to work shoulder-to-shoulder with the "bad apples..."
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Back in 2010 I had dinner at an Outback Steakhouse, and the folks at the next table were close enough that I could hear their whole conversation without eavesdropping. It was a TSO and her mother, having a nice social dinner together. When I realized that she was a TSO, I stuck up a civil conversation with her and found out that she was an LTSO from DCA. We particularly discussed the despicable violations of scope and grope, which were still fairly new at the time. I shot down every argument she made - in a polite, friendly, non-confrontational manner, using info I've learned from FT. I never mentioned FT, however; I have heard that some TSOs recognize the site's name and immediately get confrontational when they find out you're a member here, and I didn't want to test that.

It turned out to be a pleasant encounter. I don't think I convinced her of anything; she was most definitely an AFS type. But I think I may have made her think a little more analytically about the carp she was being asked to foist upon the innocent traveler, and maybe that was the beginning of wisdom for her. We can only hope.
I have a yellow FT tag on my rollaboard... the TSOs and TDCs I've come into contact with have never noticed or said a word about it.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Supposedly that has all changed now...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._webtsa01.html

Rep Mike Rogers, chairman of the House Homeland Security Transportation subcommittee "responded positively when told the TSA had started immediately firing employees caught stealing, using drugs or failing to screen passengers and luggage.

"That's a new development. I'm glad to hear that," Rogers said."

Of course, even if that's done, it won't matter if they keep reinstating 'bad apples' - like the HNL manager who has been re-instated twice now (two separate incidents) on appeal, with back pay and a promotion. Or Minetta Walters, BDO, who was dismissed and re-hired.
Have you actually seen or talked to Minetta Walters?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by tsadude1
Wrong answer. Managers have to be willing to invest the time to get rid of the bad apples. This usually interferes with their numerous coffee, ,smoke, and extended lunch breaks.
You have no idea what you are talking about. We had an employee threaten another employee with bodily harm in the workplace - among other issues - and it took one year of massive management-level effort to get her terminated. The only reason HR finally gave in is that the FBI came to us with evidence of an additional"off-duty" crime.

Here's another example. If you are a med tech in the private sector and you make multiple patient ID errors, you're gone in a week. If your a med tech in the federal government and you make multiple patient ID errors while in your probationary period, it takes four months to fire you. When you a pharmacy tech in the federal government and you are caught stealing controlled substances, you appeal, spend 8 months answering the phone, and then win your job back with the only restriction being you can't handle narcotics.

When you've spent time in management and have a clue what you're talking about, come back and we'll have a rational discussion.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Or Minetta Walters, BDO, who was dismissed and re-hired.
Did you mean Minetta Walker?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:20 am

You have no idea what you are talking about. We had an employee threaten another employee with bodily harm in the workplace - among other issues - and it took one year of massive management-level effort to get her terminated. The only reason HR finally gave in is that the FBI came to us with evidence of an additional"off-duty" crime.

Here's another example. If you are a med tech in the private sector and you make multiple patient ID errors, you're gone in a week. If your a med tech in the federal government and you make multiple patient ID errors while in your probationary period, it takes four months to fire you. When you a pharmacy tech in the federal government and you are caught stealing controlled substances, you appeal, spend 8 months answering the phone, and then win your job back with the only restriction being you can't handle narcotics.

When you've spent time in management and have a clue what you're talking about, come back and we'll have a rational discussion.
Halls, I thought of you when I made my earlier post. Interesting that the Congressman actually believes TSA is now going to fire some TSOs 'immediately'. When he makes that statement, he is either displaying woeful level of ignorance or he is lying through his teeth.

Aside from that, I would like to know how many of those who are actually suspended or termninated appeal and are reinstated - with back pay, and in the case of the HNL supervisor, given a promotion (he's been rehired twice).

I agree it can be a real time-consuming headache, and it is critical to cross all t's and dot all the i's, but particularly in the case of TSA, I have to ask: what, exactly, is their management doing otherwise?

Last edited by chollie; Aug 14, 2012 at 9:29 am
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Did you mean Minetta Walker?
Oops, yes, thanks Caradoc, that is who I meant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.