Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Have you ever seen TSA workers outside of the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever seen TSA workers outside of the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
But you'd think that when your uniform makes you pretty recognizable to the public when you are off duty you would act in a way that would make your employer proud.
I'm not sure why you'd expect better behavior when off-duty in uniform than on-duty in uniform.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:51 am

I talk to them all the time on the light rail going down to SeaTac.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: SSSSS
Off shift at DTW

This isn't exactly outside the airport.
I returned to DTW from DEN after a ski trip. The TSA leased parking space in the same lot I parked. I loaded my ski stuff onto the bus and stepped back to the curb for my bag when a herd of TSA (shift change time I guess) pushed past me and filled the entire bus. Even though I had stuff on the bus, there were no seats and the driver wouldn't/couldn't let me on. So, I had to haul my stuff back off the bus and wait for the next.

This was before I detested the TSA. It was the first episode of many.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I've seen them cut to the front of a long line at a 7-11 near the airport. No one dared say a word. I was on my way to the airport (others besides the TSOs may have also been flying that day). Can't risk objecting and then finding out that one of them will be sticking hands in my pants and between my legs at the checkpoint.

The clerk apologized to everyone in line, but there was nothing he could do. Maybe he flies too.

I'm a 'civilian', but at my company, you are advised on hiring that your behavior outside the company reflects on the company and misbehavior is grounds for firing. We don't wear uniforms, but of course, when folks make the news for misbehavior, it is not uncommon for their employer to be mentioned in the local news if the employer is a very large company.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I've seen them cut to the front of a long line at a 7-11 near the airport. No one dared say a word. I was on my way to the airport (others besides the TSOs may have also been flying that day). Can't risk objecting and then finding out that one of them will be sticking hands in my pants and between my legs at the checkpoint.

The clerk apologized to everyone in line, but there was nothing he could do. Maybe he flies too.

I'm a 'civilian', but at my company, you are advised on hiring that your behavior outside the company reflects on the company and misbehavior is grounds for firing. We don't wear uniforms, but of course, when folks make the news for misbehavior, it is not uncommon for their employer to be mentioned in the local news if the employer is a very large company.
The clerk committed an ethics violation. As government employees, we are prohibited from using our office or status for personal gain. They should be reported to the TSA and to the Office of Government Ethics.

I did this years ago in Tuscon (airside, no less) when a clerk jumped to the head of the line in the coffee shop. I asked him he knew that he had just committed an ethics violation. He got belligerent with me, so I walked back with him to the checkpoint, summoned the supervisor, and had the same conversation. I wrote up the entire incident on the DHS IG website and filled out a comment card. I reminded both of them that there were plenty of federal employees and military personnel transiting airports who know chapter & verse of the ethics laws and wouldn't hesitate to ruin a clerk's day.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:01 pm

I'd say lots of words if it was in front of me. Once, a woman attempted to barge into the line at the post office directly in front of me, and I closed up the line, pointing out where the line starts. The person behind me let her get in front of her, and she spend the next several minutes in line rattling obscenities at me and demanding to speak to a manager of the same skin tone as herself, as if that meant something. I was prepared to call 911 if she touched me, and I'd do that for a TS"O" as well.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: QFF
I've often seen TSOs on public transport to/from airports. I also deal with one on another forum who acts like Bob there. @_@ I've seen that same TSO off duty and out of uniform at an event, but had no interaction as there were 30,000 other people at the same event.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:08 pm

Keep in mind the types of people drawn to work for the TSA: people who take personal pleasure in being able to exercise absolute authority over other people with zero accountability. On the job, they assault and steal from passengers, and declare that they have the final word on whether or not someone is flying--and whether or not someone is allowed to continue to their flight with their colostomy bag intact. Off the job, they decide that every person with whom they come in contact is under their absolute authority.

This is no different from the occasional story of an LEO who attempts to "shakedown" a restaurant for free food by offering to not arrest the cashier for fun. I'm still waiting for a TS"O" to attempt this.

If you refuse to let a TS"O" barge into the line in front of you, I could hear it now: "I recognize you; you fly out of my airport every week. Now you're on my airport's no-fly list."

Whenever I go to TLH, I see TS"O"s walking between the terminal and employee parking in full uniform. Since most of my trips there are to drop off or pick up someone else, I've been sorely tempted to either give one the finger, or as I walk by, stick out my lower lip, roll my eyes, shake my head, and breathe through my nose heavily, as you would towards an obnoxious coworker who thinks he's your boss and attempts to micromanage you.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:55 pm

TSA employees are accountable for their actions outside of work particularly when they can be identified as TSA employees such as when they are wearing a uniform. I don't believe that OIG is going to investigate a TSO for cutting in front of you in a convenience store. And even if you reported it to me as a TSM, then I would have a hard time doing anything about it unless you said something to the TSO.

A better tactic would be to verbally tell the TSA employee that he wasn't allowed to cut in line ("the line starts back there" or whatever), and if he ignores you then you have pretty clear cut evidence for a local charge of "failure to exercise courtesy and tact". If the person flashed his badged, pointed to his uniform, or in some way tried to use his TSA status as authority, then you would have a much more serious charge (probably career altering) against the individual.

castro
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by castrobenes
TSA employees are accountable for their actions outside of work particularly when they can be identified as TSA employees such as when they are wearing a uniform. I don't believe that OIG is going to investigate a TSO for cutting in front of you in a convenience store. And even if you reported it to me as a TSM, then I would have a hard time doing anything about it unless you said something to the TSO.

A better tactic would be to verbally tell the TSA employee that he wasn't allowed to cut in line ("the line starts back there" or whatever), and if he ignores you then you have pretty clear cut evidence for a local charge of "failure to exercise courtesy and tact". If the person flashed his badged, pointed to his uniform, or in some way tried to use his TSA status as authority, then you would have a much more serious charge (probably career altering) against the individual.

castro
TSOs at the airport (including supervisors) routinely refuse to give their names as a matter of policy. I once asked for a feedback form to praise a rare (unfortunately) professionally-behaved screener (whose badge was, nevertheless, turned over). I had to wait for a supervisor, then I had to wait for him to find a form, then I had to supply my ID/BP. I pointed out the employee and explained why I wanted to submit the form. He told me to fill it out right there, leave the employee name blank, and he would fill it in later. I had a plane to catch. I left without submitting the form, well aware that my ID/BP information were probably logged in some TSA database somewhere just because I asked for a feedback form (which should be readily available without asking).

I am not about to step up to a TSO in uniform, at the airport or at an off-airport site and ask for a name. I want to fly, I don't want my name on some TSA database somewhere, and I don't want more harassment during my future travels (by bus, plane or train).

The responsibility for TSO conduct rests with fellow TSOs, supervisors and management.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:02 pm
Suspended

The responsibility for TSO conduct rests with fellow TSOs, supervisors and management.
...which means it's not going to happen.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
...which means it's not going to happen.
Hasn't so far.

I would support a bonus being paid to any TSO who turns in another TSO for misconduct (assuming that TSO is found guilty of misconduct). We could call it an 'administrative' bonus. You know, apply the 'See something, say something' principles to their own co-workers.

'Good' TSOs would have nothing to fear from this and would benefit from a workplace free of 'bad apples'. So would the public.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:55 pm
Suspended

'Good' TSOs would have nothing to fear from this and would benefit from a workplace free of 'bad apples'. So would the public.
Wrong. The "bad apples" would create false reports to get rid of the "good apples" (if indeed there are any in the festering pustulent swamp of moral decay we currently call "the TSA.")

Then the corrupt managers would fire the "good apples" based on those false reports.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The TSA is beyond redemption. It needs to be abolished.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Agreed with caradoc.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:01 pm

I saw a pair of TSA employees on the city bus from the airport once. I did not interact with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.