Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Globe Owners Rejoice!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by GciJeff
Hey guys,

Assuming the above math is right, and the diameter works out to be 2.27", shouldn't we be allowed to add the thickness of the glass (twice) to this diameter, since the glass itself doesn't represent a dangerous liquid?

If a snowglobe's glass (or plastic case for you cheapskates) is .06" thick, tehn we should get to have snowglobes that are 2.27 + .12 = 2.39".

Just to make sure.

J
You can never be too sure. There's no standard for the thickness of the glass on a snow globe, so using outside diameter is the only way to make sure the liquid volume stays below 3.4 fl oz, therefore preventing it from becoming explosive and taking down an A380.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mahohmei
You can never be too sure. There's no standard for the thickness of the glass on a snow globe, so using outside diameter is the only way to make sure the liquid volume stays below 3.4 fl oz, therefore preventing it from becoming explosive and taking down an A380.
You're right, but you're forgetting the one tool we have in order to get this settled.

Tax money.

As in, the government can use some of our tax money to form a 5-star commission operating under ASTM's umbrella to draft a standard for snow globe glass thickness as a function of volume, color, subject matter, level of Compliance with CPSC requirements for paint, chlorine content, country of origin and proximity of final assembly facility to hotly contested swing state voting districts.

Then the standard can be published, and manufacturers can be allowed some reasonable amount of time to bring all the snow globes into compliaNce for glass thickness (let's say three years), then TSA can roll out a snow globes standards compliance training program that allows a go / no-go based solely on outside diameter since globes now have a standardized thickness based on the above variables.

All that's left is to hire a former political contributor to create and distribute a TSA Official Snow Globe Template that clearly and succinctly outline those variables and how TSOs should react to each of the variables. give them a year for the template rollouts.

Then all that's left (I know I said that before but hey you can never be too safe) is for TSA to institute a TSO training regiment that helps the TSOs understand how to use the new template to correctly identify the destructive A380-obliterates from the amusement park souvenirs. Give them a year for training since this a critical issue.

So I think we could have this wrapped up in just over half a decade, right?

J
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I bought a small snowglobe in Thailand and I just went thru BKK security with it in my baggie. It will also go through secuity checks in Singapore, Male, Singapore again, Narita and Houston before I get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.