Community
Wiki Posts
Search

confiscating non-"weapons"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lovely15
Someone already pointed out why I was wary of showing my certificate to the TSO - beyond the fact it was none of his business. Yes, the TSA does have quite a bit of nasty power over us, and that's not something I ever want to happen. T-the-B is dead on with saying they can took all the want, but not touch - but I wasn't even willing to let them do that that night.
I have to agree 100% and this is the difference between the "hell no's" and the "anything for security" groups. So I show my pilot's license and because TSA Inspector just read that TSA vetting of student pilot's is useless and decides that I need to be vetted.

Since this is uncharted territory, anything can happen and he/she will make up whatever they want along the way with liberal application of "do you want to fly today". Insist that I produce a logbook? Claim my license is invalid because there is no expiration (and no picture and no address)? Ask me inane aviation related questions that I might or might not know the answer to? Copy my social security number off of my license? Whatever they invent, it will only be a waste of time and puts me at risk of missing my flight, being fondled in retaliation or who knows what else.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by bankops
. . . Claim my license is invalid because there is no expiration (and no picture and no address)?
I've got the new plastic license and it does have a picture.

Granted, it is one of Wilbur and Orville!!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Airport security agents in Australia once confiscated my spork. I asked why. They said "no forks allowed." I said, " it's actually a spork."

I lost the argument.

Last edited by jphripjah; Aug 4, 2012 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bankops
I have to agree 100% and this is the difference between the "hell no's" and the "anything for security" groups. So I show my pilot's license and because TSA Inspector just read that TSA vetting of student pilot's is useless and decides that I need to be vetted.

Since this is uncharted territory, anything can happen and he/she will make up whatever they want along the way with liberal application of "do you want to fly today". Insist that I produce a logbook? Claim my license is invalid because there is no expiration (and no picture and no address)? Ask me inane aviation related questions that I might or might not know the answer to? Copy my social security number off of my license? Whatever they invent, it will only be a waste of time and puts me at risk of missing my flight, being fondled in retaliation or who knows what else.
If you are one of those who were issued FAA certificates where they used the persons social security number as the certificates number, then you should have the FAA reissue your certificate with a new number.

When I got both my mechanic and pilot licenses the FAA used a generic numbering system, but just a few years later someone in the FAA through it was a good idea to streamline the system and use the persons SS number instead, and they issued certificates with these numbers for many years.

When identity theft became a major problem, there was enough complaints that the FAA offered to reissue all FAA certificates I believe free of charge to anyone who wants to have their SS number replaced with a generic number.

I know of a few people who did this and I would do it myself if my SS number was on my certificates.

Mr. Elliott
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:31 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
If you are one of those who were issued FAA certificates where they used the persons social security number as the certificates number, then you should have the FAA reissue your certificate with a new number.

When I got both my mechanic and pilot licenses the FAA used a generic numbering system, but just a few years later someone in the FAA through it was a good idea to streamline the system and use the persons SS number instead, and they issued certificates with these numbers for many years.

When identity theft became a major problem, there was enough complaints that the FAA offered to reissue all FAA certificates I believe free of charge to anyone who wants to have their SS number replaced with a generic number.

I know of a few people who did this and I would do it myself if my SS number was on my certificates.

Mr. Elliott
agreed. I got my last pilot cert 5 years ago and it was random number no SSN.
IIRC it costs a dollar to get a new cert.
Even DoD is getting rid of SSNs on IDs.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
agreed. I got my last pilot cert 5 years ago and it was random number no SSN.
IIRC it costs a dollar to get a new cert.
Even DoD is getting rid of SSNs on IDs.
Doesn't cost anything to get them replaced if you currently have your SSN on them.

At least it didn't when I got mine replaced to remove the SSN, YMMV in 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.