Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whitehouse Petition: Require the TSA to Follow the Law!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M+ 1K, HHonors Gold, PC Gold, SPG Gold

Did anyone here sign this petition?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...w-law/tffCTwDd

In July 2011, a federal appeals court ruled that the Transportation Security Administration had to conduct a notice-and-comment rulemaking on its policy of using "Advanced Imaging Technology" for primary screening at airports. TSA was supposed to publish the policy in the Federal Register, take comments from the public, and justify its policy based on public input. The court told TSA to do all this "promptly." A year later, TSA has not even started that public process. Defying the court, the TSA has not satisfied public concerns about privacy, about costs and delays, security weaknesses, and the potential health effects of these machines. If the government is going to "body-scan" Americans at U.S. airports, President Obama should force the TSA to begin the public process the court ordered.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
President Obama has always been a strong supporter of the TSA. I doubt he'll do anything to keep the TSA in check. This one will be up to either a successor administration or the courts to take care of.

*Note for the edit: While I have a very strong recollection of seeing Obama say something to the effect of, "They can take the bus," as it relates to flyers unhappy with screening measures, I've been unable to find a source video, and no one else here seems to remember it. I think I'm just losing my mind.

Last edited by T.J. Bender; Jul 12, 2012 at 11:45 am Reason: See above
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I did but I doubt we'll see or hear anything. We're not a minority group that he needs to get elected nor have a lobby like the AARP or UAW.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:46 pm

I signed knowing full well the futility of the act.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
I signed too and have the same feeling.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Not worth the time, this will go nowhere and mean nothing.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
President Obama once said that if Americans don't like AIT, they can take the bus.
Do you have a source on that? I'd like to see it. (Admittedly a little skeptical that those words were ever spoken by Obama, and if so, suspecting there's more to the story. He doesn't tend to say much about the TSA, and something like that would be pretty sound byte worthy.)

I doubt he'll do anything to keep the TSA in check. This one will be up to either a successor administration or the courts to take care of.
Considering Bush created the TSA, it's a safe assumption that all things TSA are not a high priority for either republicans or democrats. Courts, possibly. Administrations, unlikely.

Originally Posted by roder
Not worth the time, this will go nowhere and mean nothing.
Agree 100%.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ATF678
Did anyone here sign this petition?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...w-law/tffCTwDd
At the risk of going OMNI, I think this would need to be preceded by a petition to "Require the White House to Follow the Law."
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Shouldn't the people who got the case before the appeals court, now, 1 year later, re-petition the court to take a "stronger stand"?
[In Brown vs. BOE (re segregation in public schools), which the Supreme Court held to be unconstitutional, might have stayed that way, had they not (later) stated that their ruling be implemented "with all deliberate speed".]
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
At the risk of going OMNI, I think this would need to be preceded by a petition to "Require the White House to Follow the Law."
And the Constitution.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Do you have a source on that? I'd like to see it. (Admittedly a little skeptical that those words were ever spoken by Obama, and if so, suspecting there's more to the story. He doesn't tend to say much about the TSA, and something like that would be pretty sound byte worthy.)
For the life of me, I can't find a source. All I have to go on is my memory, and I clearly recall seeing Obama on TV fielding a question about the "don't touch my junk" incident by saying that, "...if they don't like it, they can take/ride the bus." If I'm mistaken, I apologize for going from memory instead of sourcing.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
For the life of me, I can't find a source. All I have to go on is my memory, and I clearly recall seeing Obama on TV fielding a question about the "don't touch my junk" incident by saying that, "...if they don't like it, they can take/ride the bus." If I'm mistaken, I apologize for going from memory instead of sourcing.
Perhaps you were thinking of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0Wk8z3EqI

(Admittedly just barely related to the thread at hand...)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:24 pm

Might be cool if they first actually read the laws, wouldn't it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
President Obama once said that if Americans don't like AIT, they can take the bus. I doubt he'll do anything to keep the TSA in check. This one will be up to either a successor administration or the courts to take care of.
Where is the news article that backs up the first sentence above? Just interested in seeing any such thing.

No Administration is going to keep the TSA in check given the problem is not the Administration, not Congress, nor even the Courts. The problem is too few Americans willing to just accept that terrorism is a criminal nuisance and too many Americans buying into the "anything for security" mantra without realizing that "anythin for security" is a far greater danger than terrorism in the US is to the way of life.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
If it gets enough signatures to trigger a response, they'll just do what they did with the last TSA partition. Send it to Pistole who will vomit out something claiming that the TSA doesn't have to follow what Congress or the courts say (because it's all SSI and the courts/congress don't have the jurisdiction to see SSI).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.