Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Associated Press: TSA to allow Orlando-Sanford (SFB) Airport to use private screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Press: TSA to allow Orlando-Sanford (SFB) Airport to use private screeners

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
But if you're going to go there, let me point this out. The US Army recruits on pizza boxes, too:

Wow -- I thought the misspelling of "Multiply" was photoshopped, but the actual pizza box in the picture (posted on duranAds.com) really has that misspelling printed on it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post "TSA tentatively okays private screeners in Orlando"

The Transportation Security Administration has given preliminary approval to a plan that would allow Orlando Sanford International Airport to use private security screeners.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...uehV_blog.html
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
RatherBeOnATrain beat you by about a week

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...screeners.html
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
RatherBeOnATrain beat you by about a week

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...screeners.html
Thanks. ^ I'll alert the mods. I'd missed it here and the link I posted is dated today and on Drudge.

By the way, Mrs. Fredd and I were seated in a restaurant area near gates 70-71 right next to a "Team San Francisco" check point a couple of weeks ago. We could clearly see and hear a trainer haranguing his troops that the "TSA would like any excuse to get rid of us" and urging them to redouble their efforts.

That's why I don't necessarily see privatization as a panacea, even though I ordinarily tend that way. I've noticed that "Team SFO" sometimes tries to out-TSA the TSA.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Fredd
Thanks. ^ I'll alert the mods. I'd missed it here and the link I posted is dated today and on Drudge.

By the way, Mrs. Fredd and I were seated in a restaurant area near gates 70-71 right next to a "Team San Francisco" check point a couple of weeks ago. We could clearly see and hear a trainer haranguing his troops that the "TSA would like any excuse to get rid of us" and urging them to redouble their efforts.

That's why I don't necessarily see privatization as a panacea, even though I ordinarily tend that way. I've noticed that "Team SFO" sometimes tries to out-TSA the TSA.
I already alerted the mods but if the TSA redoubles their efforts, doesn't that mean 2x the screw-ups
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Also, FWIW, Sanford is not Orlando. It's almost as bad as calling MHT Manchester/Boston, but harder to get to.

Also, there's few flights to anywhere from Sanford, unless you don't mind connecting in Iceland. I would if there were any mileage earning opportunities :-)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by goalie
I already alerted the mods but if the TSA redoubles their efforts, doesn't that mean 2x the screw-ups
Or at least twice the officiousness. We've mainly transferred there and our recent experiences have been okay, other than the loss of the WTMD option at the first elite checkpoint we hit after arriving internationally and transferring to domestic.

Over the years we've definitely seen barking and yelling there. A couple of times it was upsetting to watch employees yelling at obviously foreign Asian tourists at the international check point. It seemed, among other things, just plain odd in light of their dealing with foreigners all day there.

Still, we opted out at the international checkpoint a couple of weeks ago and have no complaints at all about the way we were treated, setting aside my objections to the entire procedure.

Originally Posted by tkey75
Also, FWIW, Sanford is not Orlando. It's almost as bad as calling MHT Manchester/Boston, but harder to get to.

Also, there's few flights to anywhere from Sanford, unless you don't mind connecting in Iceland. I would if there were any mileage earning opportunities :-)
Ha! Thanks. ^ It's buried in the first sentence of the article I posted but I missed it, what with the blaring "Orlando" in the headline I quoted. Apparently it's international?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.