Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Yahoo quoting FlyerTalk on electronics ban

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Yahoo's banner article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...175552287.html

There are several quotes pulled directly from threads here on the electronics ban. Overall I think the article mischaracterizes the FT sentiment, making it sound rather like the consensus is "anything for safety!"

It also makes it sound as if the ban will just be a nuisance because your kid can't watch their favorite movie. There is almost no consideration of the impact on business travelers.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Yahoo's banner article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...175552287.html

There are several quotes pulled directly from threads here on the electronics ban. Overall I think the article mischaracterizes the FT sentiment, making it sound rather like the consensus is "anything for safety!"

It also makes it sound as if the ban will just be a nuisance because your kid can't watch their favorite movie. There is almost no consideration of the impact on business travelers.
its yahoo, what do you expect!?
Old May 11, 2017, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dascc
its yahoo, what do you expect!?
I wasn't expecting anything from Yahoo, just summarizing for those interested but not interested enough to follow the link.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What's this yahoo thing you are talking about?!
Old May 15, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They were the "google" of a previous era...
Old May 16, 2017, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Ask Jeeves.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Ask Jeeves.
Didn't he marry someone named Siri?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
Didn't he marry someone named Siri?
Jeeves was jealous of Lycos, but Jeeves ended up being asked for hand in corporate marriage enough to end up with Barry Diller/IAC.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I don't see that at all. In fact, there are two quotes from FT commenters against the ban, and none explicitly in favor.

There is an entire paragraph on the impact on business travelers (which starts with the sentence "business travelers will likely suffer the biggest headache with an expanded electronics ban"), and then another 2 paragraphs on the position of the Global Business Travelers Association.

Overall, I think it's a fairly balanced and fair article.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't see that at all. In fact, there are two quotes from FT commenters against the ban, and none explicitly in favor.
You don't see it because the article that appears on Yahoo on May 18 has been heavily edited since I posted the link on May 11. For example, several of the quotes are missing and the FT screen names removed.

Originally Posted by cbn42
There is an entire paragraph on the impact on business travelers (which starts with the sentence "business travelers will likely suffer the biggest headache with an expanded electronics ban"), and then another 2 paragraphs on the position of the Global Business Travelers Association.

Overall, I think it's a fairly balanced and fair article.
The entire paragraph on business travel was not in the first version, nor was the material on the GBTA.

May 18's article is better than May 11's, but it still is far from good.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You don't see it because the article that appears on Yahoo on May 18 has been heavily edited since I posted the link on May 11. For example, several of the quotes are missing and the FT screen names removed.

The entire paragraph on business travel was not in the first version, nor was the material on the GBTA.

May 18's article is better than May 11's, but it still is far from good.
Oh okay, that would explain it. I wouldn't put it past Yahoo to make stealth edits like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.