Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Visa applications that ask for religious affiliation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa applications that ask for religious affiliation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 am

I work getting visas for pilots. I am quite familiar with the Saudi application. On the application the answer for religious affiliation is either "MOSLEM" or other. We believe the issue with this is if you are indeed a "MOSLEM" you will then be subject to the religious police more so than if you were simply "other"

India is another country that asks for the applicant's religion. You can choose other and NA as a response to the question.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 4, 2015 at 12:50 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonathan Phillips
I work getting visas for pilots. I am quite familiar with the Saudi application. On the application the answer for religious affiliation is either "MOSLEM" or other. We believe the issue with this is if you are indeed a "MOSLEM" you will then be subject to the religious police more so than if you were simply "other"
I lived in Saudi Arabia for three years - in Riyadh on the Al Rabwah compound near Khurais Road. My visa app and visa renewals as submitted by our rather generous sponsor (for example, we didn't have to surrender our passports, we held onto them; we had visas designated as Multiple Entry/Exit and didn't need Entry/Exits every time we wanted to go somewhere) always said "Christian". I never put "Other" and I lived there and believe me, the Muta'waa hassled me no less and no more than any other blonde and blue-eyed Westerner.

I'm a bit confused by your assertion, since the Muta'waa aren't hanging out at passport control at King Khalid; they're far too busy running around like whirling dervishes at the Faisaliah Center on Olaayya screaming at women, mostly us heathen and wanton Westeners, to cover our hair. I think I saw Muta'waa at KKIA twice in three years - and when I lived in KSA I had status on BA, so I flew a lot.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by KaiserBen
The UAE asks, for work visas at least.
That matches my experience. They don't ask tourists, they ask for residency visas. Even though I don't consider myself anything, I wrote Christian on the form. Middle eastern customs is not the place to stand up on principle. Muslim employees get a few benefits that non-Muslims don't. The biggest one is a one in a lifetime ten or fifteen Haj leave.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If only that were the case.

I rest assured that for those destinations where this is a part of the visa application form for business and/or tourist visitors, the demand for the information is generally not arising out of a bureaucrat's (or statistician's) benevolent interest in generating data about the demographic background of tourists in the aggregate. Rather it is more about the following: "security" paranoia. That and figuring out when/if/how (not) to grant a visa (if any) to the applicant -- a determination made based on an individual applicant's ethnic and/or religious affiliation(s) -- and to figure out who to target/tail upon arrival in the country (even if granted a visa).

(snip)

For example, one such country that has forms that include a religion field on visa applications: India. Natural-born US citizens of exclusively Indian ethnic origins (or perceived to be of such ethnic backgrounds) but applying for an Indian visa are more likely to be given problems (or additional document handover requirements) by the Indian government when applying for an Indian visa than the ethnic Polish-American spouse of such an Indian-American applicant.
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Visa applications for Saudi Arabia require your religion. I put done "none". It was crossed out by the officials and the word "christian" inserted.
If you want the visa don't argue.
I recently completed an application for an Indian visa. It's pretty obvious that the purpose of many of the questions on the form is to discover whether you are likely to have affiliations to one of the countries that India is currently "touchy" about, especially Pakistan.

As well as the "usual"questions, the form requires you to give the names and place of birth of your parents.

I'm agnostic. However, I declared my religion as "Christian" for the purposes of the application. My intent was to not raise any red flags or delay granting of the visa.

I got the visa!

Last edited by celle; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:16 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Ironic this thread was bumped today. I submitted a KSA Business Visa application today, and I filled the application three times.

First time I answered how I answer at my doctor's office and at the hospital: Jedi. My office's travel guy who reviewed the app objected, so I filled out another one.

Second time i answered how I answer when someone pushes me: Atheist. The travel guy objected again.

Finally I said f!!! it, and I answered Christian-Roman Catholic. i was baptized and received my first communion, but was never confirmed, so I sort of count. He accepted this one.

Hopefully the embassy is ok with this.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:45 am

For those who travel to Middle East a lot, it is a well-known fact that putting "atheist" or "agnostic" on a visa application is not a good idea. Basically, it would be like putting word "godless" which is much worse than Christianity or even Judaism in the eyes of many Muslims.

I agree with those who recommended not to stand you principles when it comes to Middle East, especially if one has a rather limited experience with it.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; GT-I9300 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.122 Mobile Safari/537.22)

Sudan also asks
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Whatever about religion, Nigeria asks you to declare your hair colour on visa applications and has no option for blonde or red...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Whatever about religion, Nigeria asks you to declare your hair colour on visa applications and has no option for blonde or red...
So options are black or brown? That is funny...

I am an atheist and proud of it. Atheists are statistically the least probable persons to commit crimes (proportions of atheist felons are much lower than proportions of atheists in the general community). If a country denies me entry on my religious beliefs (or lack of), I won´t visit them.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by König
For those who travel to Middle East a lot, it is a well-known fact that putting "atheist" or "agnostic" on a visa application is not a good idea. Basically, it would be like putting word "godless" which is much worse than Christianity or even Judaism in the eyes of many Muslims.

I agree with those who recommended not to stand you principles when it comes to Middle East, especially if one has a rather limited experience with it.
"Atheist" submission hasn't slowed down any of our KSA visa applications or increased processing times. YMMV, but much the same goes for the Sudan.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
under "religion", I write "yes". Never been questioned on it.
under the question for "sex", I once wrote "yes, please" and the visa office clerk was not amused.

under "religion" I just put "Swedish"
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Atheist" submission hasn't slowed down any of our KSA visa applications or increased processing times. YMMV, but much the same goes for the Sudan.
I presume it to be consulate (or agent) dependent.

Working with the Saudi Consulate in Houston they flat out told us several times our people should all put Christian (save for the one Sunni in the group).

At the Embassy in D.C. they didn't seem to care.

But of course YMMV
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:34 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The Indonesian entry form does not ask for religious affiliation.

Passing through immigration at RGN (Rangoon) had me cogitate for a bit about why the entry form asked for my grandfather's name.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club
Singapore does
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
OK, now I am curious. What other countries ask this?

Saudi Arabia
India
Syria
Iraq

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.