Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

9-11-11 Frontier flight from SAN through DEN met by police in DTW (Detroit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9-11-11 Frontier flight from SAN through DEN met by police in DTW (Detroit)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by studentff
I do wonder what would have happened if she had gone the route of saying nothing but, "Am I under arrest? Am I free to go? I'm not answering anything and want a lawyer."
My speculation ... nothing would be different, except for an even longer delay while a lawyer was found and brought to her. A multi-hour experience could've turned into a multi-day experience.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
My hope is a little different - I hope the USA media grow a pair and do what they have the power to do - shame the government into rolling back the clock to the point where the US is NOT a police state.
Anybody have contacts at 60 Minutes? Now that it's NFL season, they are likely to have a bigger audience because they are on right after the late game on the East Coast.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have any contact with her, please make sure she knows how many people are outraged at what happened, and perhaps gently urge her to seek counsel as to any possible means of seeking justice whether it's through the courts or through publicly naming and shaming her accusers and captors.

If she set up a legal defense fund (well I guess technically it would be an offense fund since she would be the plaintiff), I think she'd accumulate quite a bit.
I'd start just by offering her a big cyberspace hug.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I'd start just by offering her a big cyberspace hug.
Yeah, just what she wants right now, more strangers trying to touch her.

She was violated in about every way you can think of by the airline, law enforcement, and DHS. In today's world, though, mentioning 9/11 means never having to say you're sorry.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I agree TSA likely had nothing to do with this, but DHS certainly did.
I said the DHS had very little to do with it, not nothing. They were 'present' at the interrogation(s) in the way they like to be 'present' at all such occurrences. I doubt they added anything since it wasn't their jurisdiction.

I'm not defending them understand, but lets put the blame squarely where it belongs. There are certainly enough idiots to share it.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I said the DHS had very little to do with it, not nothing. They were 'present' at the interrogation(s) in the way they like to be 'present' at all such occurrences. I doubt they added anything since it wasn't their jurisdiction.
Where should blame be placed then? I don't even know if the strip search was legal based on her simply being detained. If she was formally placed under arrest then she would have needed to be given a Miranda warning.

I hope this story makes it to a much wider audience and that F9 takes a huge PR hit for this. In addition, this woman could present her story on TV and raise a stink about it. If anything, she could show how SS,SS can get disastrously out of hand. She didn't even have any interaction with the gentlemen sitting next to her until the flight landed, so should we now be concerned about who's sitting next to us in case some Chicken Little gets spooked about our seatmate?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: SSSSS
Does DHS/TSA have anything to do with this? Or was it local cops (Wayne County Airport Authority)?

SS/SS has been mentioned, but lets not forget the roots of the daily hysteria: Janet Napoleonitano and her henchman, John Pistole have been screaming from the roof tops, that there are credible, unconfirmed, reports of terrorists, likely three either in the country or coming to the country to rape, pillage and plunder Americans, or do other evil things.

Psychology of terror: Create a climate of uncertainty. Create an atmosphere of distrust and suspicion. Encourage normally rational people to look for things that may not be there. Do all this using a highly distorted kernel of truth. Then sit back and let others pounce.

Yes, I blame DHS and TSA. And the cabin crew, and the airline, and Boeing for putting three seats together in an airplane, so the unconfirmed three could sit together and be suspicious.

PS. And they're still doing it: Terror Attack Threat Is 'Ongoing,' Napolitano Says
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA AG, WN A, MR Life PL, HH DI, Avis P+, 7*
F9 Has A Lot Of 'Splainin' To Do

A story from one of the detainees from F9 623.

I'm too outraged to comment on this. I think Ms. Shebshi's blog speaks for itself, and is a sad commentary on a number of issues troubling our country.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Nibaruian
A story from one of the detainees from F9 623.

I'm too outraged to comment on this. I think Ms. Shebshi's blog speaks for itself, and is a sad commentary on a number of issues troubling our country.
The kind of situation that is described there would be characterized as a version of banal, bureaucratic inhumanity to which civilians were subjected by government "authorities" in paranoid lands on other continents. For years now too, it has been in play "O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave".

As usual before and still, those who imagine they are the "good citizen" go -- with "allies" -- after the "bad". Same as before, and same as now, the "good" really aren't that good, especially when it's xenophobia in play.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Majuki
Where should blame be placed then?
In sequence:

1. Cabin crew (I don't think there was a passenger rat ?)
2. Captain
3. Police for playing "SWAT"
4. FBI for not releasing the detainees sooner if not immediately.

As posted in the other thread, all it would have taken was one rational person to have simply said "let's not panic" and had a quiet discussion with the parties. Of course it is virtually impossible to find anyone at an airport whose first instinct is not to panic.
Originally Posted by greentips
Naturally. To say otherwise would be to admit to a mistake and/or fear-mongering. Big Sis does not make mistakes, nor is she a fear-mongerer. Just ask her.

Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Consistency is the hobgoblin...

FBI Detroit spokeswoman Sandra Berchtold said ultimately authorities determined there was no real threat.

"Due to the anniversary of Sept. 11, all precautions were taken, and any slight inconsistency was taken seriously," Berchtold said. "The public would rather us err on the side of caution than not."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011...gers-detained/
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:57 pm

The FBI statement.

They were questioned by the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force and were very cooperative.
What are the suspects -- I mean passengers -- supposed to do when surrounded by heavily armed cops? Run away down the tarmac?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:05 pm

Is anyone surprised?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum
The FBI statement.
The three individuals were strangers to each other, but sat in the same row on the plane. One of the males, who was not feeling well, got up to use the restroom during the flight. The other male got up at approximately the same time to use the restroom. The female remained seated in her row. It should be noted that at no time were there ever two people in the bathroom at the same time, and at no time were the three individuals uncooperative with the flight crew.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:11 pm

This incident is incredible scary.

I can now be strip-searched and detained in a jail cell because of the paranoia of fellow passengers against my seatmates.

The national anthem needs to be amended to reflect the America of 2011.

And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.