Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA agent threatens woman with defamation lawsuit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Dude, you just neutered me.
You lost the 'resistance' you never had?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
lost upon the path of least resistance?

<no emoticon inserted here>
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by loops

Maybe not 'lost'....maybe just 'voluntarily surrendered'...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:35 pm

Brilliant:

"Any emotional harm suffered by Magee is a self-inflicted wound, and likely a broader consequence of working for the TSA. A TSA agent threatening to sue a citizen for IIED is one of the most ironic events I can imagine."
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think TSA will try to make both cases go away but would more so in a criminal court.

The defendant would be able to require a copy of the SOP's so it could be determined what a pat down is suppose to entail. If the SOP was not made available the case would get tossed.

I think TSA will do just about anything to keep the SOP from being made public.
You could be right, but I am not betting against the suit proceeding. Common sense would say they are not going to disclose SSI in any proceedings unless compelled by something fairly strong. There may be some sort of compromise that suits the court, or some way to skirt the printed word - you know how slippery things can get in a courtroom. I honestly have no idea what kind of action TSA would (or could depending on your pov) take at this point. I am interested to see what (if anything) happens on the part of TSA. I am fairly certain of one thing, without some serious rethinking of organizational rules, TSA is not going to release SSI for a civil suit, and they would have to be compelled fairly hard to release it for a criminal trial.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:07 pm

If this ever gets to court, I don't see why the SOP would be at all relevant. This isn't a criminal proceeding to determine whether the crime of rape was committed. It's a civil proceding to determine if the passenger was reasonable in her description of the event as "rape". But a "reasonable passenger" doesn't have knowlege of what's in the SOP and therefore couldn't be using it to make a determination of whether what happened was or was not "rape". Therefore it's not material to the case.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Really? Personal insults? Lol ok
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by loops

This is actually kind of funny. Over the few years I have post here, I have stated I am a male, and actually described myself in general physically terms. I have also post many times I have never patted down a woman. Go figure. Just know that I am insulted. Terribly terribly insulted anyone would think I was a woman!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
<resisting temptation> ....Just ...
Thanks for showing restraint. lol
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This is actually kind of funny. Over the few years I have post here, I have stated I am a male, and actually described myself in general physically terms. I have also post many times I have never patted down a woman. Go figure. Just know that I am insulted. Terribly terribly insulted anyone would think I was a woman!
There is something insulting about being a woman?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:59 pm

I could post that I am a male and my initials are 'JP' and I am very high up in DHS, but that doesn't make it so....

You self-identify as a TSO, but you're embarrassed to be 'outed' as a woman? I think it would make more sense the other way around.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: SSSSS
On information and belief, my opinion is: SATTSO is a boy. (In my book you are now un-neutered.)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
You could be right, but I am not betting against the suit proceeding. Common sense would say they are not going to disclose SSI in any proceedings unless compelled by something fairly strong. There may be some sort of compromise that suits the court, or some way to skirt the printed word - you know how slippery things can get in a courtroom. I honestly have no idea what kind of action TSA would (or could depending on your pov) take at this point. I am interested to see what (if anything) happens on the part of TSA. I am fairly certain of one thing, without some serious rethinking of organizational rules, TSA is not going to release SSI for a civil suit, and they would have to be compelled fairly hard to release it for a criminal trial.
That's the point.

The TSA screeners lawyer has stated in the complaint letter that SOP was followed. The Defense will demand the SOP and if it is not forthcoming the case gets tossed.

The TSA employee will end up being responsible for all legal expenses for both sides and my well end up being counter-sued.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus

The TSA employee will end up being responsible for all legal expenses for both sides and my well end up being counter-sued.
we can only hope!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:27 pm

The TSA screeners lawyer has stated in the complaint letter that SOP was followed.
Yes, but I fail to see how that's relevant to the case. The only relevant issue is whether the defendant was "entitled" to describe what she allegedly experienced as "rape". I don't see how the issue of whether the actions were or were not done in accord with the SOP is relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.