Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

House Oversight Committee wants *YOUR* Questions for TSA, for March 26, 2012 Hearing!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

House Oversight Committee wants *YOUR* Questions for TSA, for March 26, 2012 Hearing!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

At 1:30 PM on this coming Monday (March 26, 2012), the US House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and the Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure will hold another joint hearing regarding TSA. Here's the link to the webpage announcing that announces the hearing:

US House of Representatives:
Committee on Oversight & Government Reform
TSA OVERSIGHT: Tell Us Your TSA Story

Here's a short quote from that page:
The focus of Monday’s hearing will include Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT), the Screening of Passengers by Observation Techniques (SPOT) program, the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program, the Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) program, and other security initiatives administered by the TSA. The Committees plan to continue conducting joint oversight hearings examining additional TSA issues in the coming months.

Members will solicit questions from the public via their Facebook pages to ask TSA officials at the hearing.
[emphasis added]
Here's a direct link to the Facebook page where they are soliciting questions:
Facebook: House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Republicans
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18258479-post28.html

Thanks for highlighting this.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
Too bad I do not have accounts on any social media sites. Except here, of course.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And my thanks to you -- I overlooked that post.

I think it is very interesting that the Committees just announced today (Friday) that that they are holding a hearing on Monday. I figure the lack of advance notice is their attempt to keep TSA Unions time to organize and flood the FB page with comments!

I really hope Jon is able to submit the question he submitted to Blogdad Bob:
Why don't you release the security footage of me going through your MMW scanners so that all can see? CLE airport, USAir gates, 3/4, 2:57 PM.

Your layer is broken, Bob, as is your agency.

Jonathan Corbett
The joint hearing should generate a lot more media attention than Blogdad Bob's posts.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
If you have a facebook account, please "like" the comments and questions you support. Though it may not be asked at the hearing, a question with hundreds of likes gets attention.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:20 pm

You can still view the comments even if you don't have a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5857516&type=1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Just a tiny, insignificant nit in the overall picture, but I would like to see someone ask why, if Kip Hawley is now on record as saying the 'Kippie bag' is no longer necessary, why do we still have to use it? Why do folks still occasionally get their LGA confiscated only because it isn't in the correct size or type of baggie? Why the continued insistence at some airports on removing the baggie?

It's a tiny detail, but if TSA can't eliminate this one tiny and, according to Hawley, unnecessary inconvenience, how can we possibly expect them to accomplish anything larger or more meaningful?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bruce Schneier will not be testifying

The committee's webpage has been updated to say:
Mr. Schneier will not testify at Monday's hearing (UPDATE: 3/23/12)
Que the conspiracy theories...
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chollie
It's a tiny detail, but if TSA can't eliminate this one tiny and, according to Hawley, unnecessary inconvenience, how can we possibly expect them to accomplish anything larger or more meaningful?
Has TSA ever, in its entire existence, accomplished anything large or meaningful? I don't think so.

Bruce
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Has TSA ever, in its entire existence, accomplished anything large or meaningful? I don't think so.
Blowing $8 billion of taxpayer dollars in a single year is a large accomplishment, IMHO.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:50 pm

Some great anecdotes have been posted.

While traveling through Detroit airport a few years ago, TSA confiscated my wife's bookmark. A bookmark. It was a gift from her parents after visiting the Alamo and had a PICTURE of an antique pistol on it. It was made of paper and was 1mm thick.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:11 pm

What I'd really like to know is why in many airports AIT is becoming the /primary/ screening method and WTMD are shut down, even though we were assured that AIT would always be a secondary method.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Thanks for posting this here. My congressman, Darrell Issa, posted this on his FB page earlier today.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JObeth66
What I'd really like to know is why in many airports AIT is becoming the /primary/ screening method and WTMD are shut down, even though we were assured that AIT would always be a secondary method.
I remember BB promising that at PV a long time ago. Many of us called BS on it. Gee, wonder who was right?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Superguy
I remember BB promising that at PV a long time ago. Many of us called BS on it. Gee, wonder who was right?
Propagandists don't always know their own bosses' plans, but this issue is what it is only when the propagandists are foolish enough to not think for themselves. That's BB's issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.