Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police can detain photographers if their photo has no apparent esthetic value!

Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ic-value.shtml

Longbeach police policy but no training in what qualifies as apparent esthetic value.

I've had clients at ad agencies like those police!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Ww -- As if that's not suspicious enough behaviour, in Long Beach one can also be detained for asking for an establishment's hours of operation.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Long time lurker, could not resist replying...

According to those standards, looks like i'll be arrested every time I take pictures
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:59 pm

What would the charge be. Police can always arrest people, but then they have to charge them with something.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
are you people in the USA still sure you live in the land of the free?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:25 pm

Here's an interesting report from somebody on Google+ taking pictures in Long Beach: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11368320...ts/Ubt3pazAPhZ
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:03 am

So, what's next? Banning cameras in Long Beach?? In airports, bus stations, and train stations? Why not just ban them in any public space 'cause a person with a camera is either up to some nefarious deed or someone might be offended if they happen to be in a camera's vicinity.

And taking notes? I take notes and doodle all the time whether in an airport or a public place. I write. It's what I do. A cop demands to ask what I'm writing I'll tell him to go *&$ off. Get a warrant.

Same with taking photos.

God, this country has lost its *$#@* mind
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by jdp23
Here's an interesting report from somebody on Google+ taking pictures in Long Beach: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11368320...ts/Ubt3pazAPhZ
There are some things that Mr. Savage says in his post that I disagree with, most notably:

Originally Posted by Google+ Post
My rights were in no way infringed, I was neither frisked nor asked for ID.
Earlier in the post, Mr. Savage states:

Originally Posted by Google+ Post
LB courthouse-
Much different- the deputy sheriff was approaching me even before I could take the photograph. I snapped the uninspiring shot anyway as he approached (no aesthitic value right).

The sheriff told me I could not take photographs there.
I responded to them (by now there were two) that I could in fact take photographs from the sidewalk of a public space.

Both insisted that I could not and that a "law" had been passed that prohibits this.

I of course demurred, noting that there was in fact no such law.

They asked me to delete the photos because photography of the inside of the courthouse was prohibited (it indeed is) I declined because well... I was outside of it.

I was then asked if they could see the photographs- I declined as is my right. At this point the sergeant was called and the three of us had a quite pleasant conversation about photography, my camera which they thought was an old Leica (its not) and my bike - both turned out to be avid cyclists.
There mere fact that the police outright LIED to him (yes, LIED, they knew better) about what he could and could not do is reason enough to file a complaint.

The fact that they wanted to see his pictures, and wanted to delete his pictures, is reason enough to file a complaint.

The fact that he was unlawfully detained by the two officers while waiting for their sergeant to show up and put them in their place would be enough to get me to consider filing a lawsuit, were I in his shoes.

It's time our law enforcement officers were all put in their place, and firmly reminded that they're public SERVANTS.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Off topic, but maybe not...

Welcome to modern life in the Terrified States of America. Any excess in the name of security.

Welcome to the new police state where no action of "our protectors" is subject to review and high school drop outs interpret our constitutional rights.

Dignity, health and personal rights are waived for those willing to endure travel by air.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
WOW!

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ic-value.shtml

Longbeach police policy but no training in what qualifies as apparent esthetic value.

I've had clients at ad agencies like those police!
Someone needs to plan a no esthetic value flash mob and see what they do. The person that was illegally detained needs to file suit, that is the only way that b.s. like this will ever stop!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
Off topic, but maybe not...

Welcome to modern life in the Terrified States of America. Any excess in the name of security.

Welcome to the new police state where no action of "our protectors" is subject to review and high school drop outs interpret our constitutional rights.

Dignity, health and personal rights are waived for those willing to endure travel by air.
I think this policy will be eliminated the first time it is challenged in court, as courts have already ruled numerous times that this type of harassment is not legal. What I found frighting is the numerous pro-police comments in the original article. You wonder why this country has gotten to this state, this is why. People seemed to have lost all touch with reality. I think some literally think the back alleys and side streets of this nation are crawling with terrorists who are just waiting to pounce. I guess this is no different than the cold war paranoia. I remember hearing for years how the Soviets were massing troops in the national forests and that nukes were hidden in every city. At least back then the nuts seemed to have little influence, but now their twisted views are becoming the official policies of the nation.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by clrankin
There mere fact that the police outright LIED to him (yes, LIED, they knew better) about what he could and could not do is reason enough to file a complaint.
Police lie all the time. And it's been upheld in court - lying is permitted and encouraged in "sting" operations. Lying in such circumstances has been helt to NOT be entrapment.

(Yes, there are detailed criteria that I haven't outlined above, and no, I don't agree with it)

The fact that he was unlawfully detained by the two officers while waiting for their sergeant to show up and put them in their place would be enough to get me to consider filing a lawsuit, were I in his shoes.
I'm not sure you'd win. Courts have given LEO a pretty wide latitude - especially if the cop claims reasonable suspicion.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:58 am

Aha!

At last, something to explain the camera-shy work farce at the checkpoint! Not a pretty sight.

Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: OnePass
By whose criteria is the photo 'esthetic?'

What's crap in one person's eyes is art in another.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mikemey
By whose criteria is the photo 'esthetic?'

What's crap in one person's eyes is art in another.
I know it when I see it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.