Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:06 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 288
Police can detain photographers if their photo has no apparent esthetic value!

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ic-value.shtml

Longbeach police policy but no training in what qualifies as apparent esthetic value.

I've had clients at ad agencies like those police!
Chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:55 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a twisty little maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO & NW forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 25,150
Ww -- As if that's not suspicious enough behaviour, in Long Beach one can also be detained for asking for an establishment's hours of operation.
__________________
May the four winds blow you safely home ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
I support meaningless jingoistic clichés Frequent Flyer Giving
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 10:42 pm   #3
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold etc.
Posts: 243
Long time lurker, could not resist replying...

According to those standards, looks like i'll be arrested every time I take pictures
lovexylitol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 10:59 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,057
What would the charge be. Police can always arrest people, but then they have to charge them with something.
__________________
Koch & Coke: Corporate Undead
LuvAirFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 11:22 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OOL/DOH
Programs: QF SG, TK *G, FB Gold, QR Gold, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam, PC Plat, Hyatt Diam.
Posts: 2,362
are you people in the USA still sure you live in the land of the free?
__________________
beware of fundamentalists
VH-RMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 11:25 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, San Francisco, Cyberspace
Posts: 62
Here's an interesting report from somebody on Google+ taking pictures in Long Beach: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11368320...ts/Ubt3pazAPhZ
jdp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 12:03 am   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SE Asia
Posts: 649
So, what's next? Banning cameras in Long Beach?? In airports, bus stations, and train stations? Why not just ban them in any public space 'cause a person with a camera is either up to some nefarious deed or someone might be offended if they happen to be in a camera's vicinity.

And taking notes? I take notes and doodle all the time whether in an airport or a public place. I write. It's what I do. A cop demands to ask what I'm writing I'll tell him to go *&$ off. Get a warrant.

Same with taking photos.

God, this country has lost its *$#@* mind
__________________
A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny. Alexander Solzhenitsyn
bluenotesro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 12:16 am   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD
Programs: *wood Gold
Posts: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp23 View Post
Here's an interesting report from somebody on Google+ taking pictures in Long Beach: https://plus.google.com/u/0/11368320...ts/Ubt3pazAPhZ
There are some things that Mr. Savage says in his post that I disagree with, most notably:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google+ Post
My rights were in no way infringed, I was neither frisked nor asked for ID.
Earlier in the post, Mr. Savage states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google+ Post
LB courthouse-
Much different- the deputy sheriff was approaching me even before I could take the photograph. I snapped the uninspiring shot anyway as he approached (no aesthitic value right).

The sheriff told me I could not take photographs there.
I responded to them (by now there were two) that I could in fact take photographs from the sidewalk of a public space.

Both insisted that I could not and that a "law" had been passed that prohibits this.

I of course demurred, noting that there was in fact no such law.

They asked me to delete the photos because photography of the inside of the courthouse was prohibited (it indeed is) I declined because well... I was outside of it.

I was then asked if they could see the photographs- I declined as is my right. At this point the sergeant was called and the three of us had a quite pleasant conversation about photography, my camera which they thought was an old Leica (its not) and my bike - both turned out to be avid cyclists.
There mere fact that the police outright LIED to him (yes, LIED, they knew better) about what he could and could not do is reason enough to file a complaint.

The fact that they wanted to see his pictures, and wanted to delete his pictures, is reason enough to file a complaint.

The fact that he was unlawfully detained by the two officers while waiting for their sergeant to show up and put them in their place would be enough to get me to consider filing a lawsuit, were I in his shoes.

It's time our law enforcement officers were all put in their place, and firmly reminded that they're public SERVANTS.
__________________
Overheard from a male TSO at a TSA checkpoint: "If she makes mine wiggle, can I give hers a jiggle?"
clrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 12:23 am   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Laguna Beach CA
Programs: AA EXP/3MM UA 1K/1MM, HH Dia, SPG Plat, HY Dia
Posts: 629
Off topic, but maybe not...

Welcome to modern life in the Terrified States of America. Any excess in the name of security.

Welcome to the new police state where no action of "our protectors" is subject to review and high school drop outs interpret our constitutional rights.

Dignity, health and personal rights are waived for those willing to endure travel by air.
dlflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 5:45 am   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Programs: DL DM and charter KM
Posts: 124
WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston View Post
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ic-value.shtml

Longbeach police policy but no training in what qualifies as apparent esthetic value.

I've had clients at ad agencies like those police!
Someone needs to plan a no esthetic value flash mob and see what they do. The person that was illegally detained needs to file suit, that is the only way that b.s. like this will ever stop!
golfguy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 6:38 am   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflyer2 View Post
Off topic, but maybe not...

Welcome to modern life in the Terrified States of America. Any excess in the name of security.

Welcome to the new police state where no action of "our protectors" is subject to review and high school drop outs interpret our constitutional rights.

Dignity, health and personal rights are waived for those willing to endure travel by air.
I think this policy will be eliminated the first time it is challenged in court, as courts have already ruled numerous times that this type of harassment is not legal. What I found frighting is the numerous pro-police comments in the original article. You wonder why this country has gotten to this state, this is why. People seemed to have lost all touch with reality. I think some literally think the back alleys and side streets of this nation are crawling with terrorists who are just waiting to pounce. I guess this is no different than the cold war paranoia. I remember hearing for years how the Soviets were massing troops in the national forests and that nukes were hidden in every city. At least back then the nuts seemed to have little influence, but now their twisted views are becoming the official policies of the nation.
VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 7:18 am   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DCA / WAS
Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Posts: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrankin View Post
There mere fact that the police outright LIED to him (yes, LIED, they knew better) about what he could and could not do is reason enough to file a complaint.
Police lie all the time. And it's been upheld in court - lying is permitted and encouraged in "sting" operations. Lying in such circumstances has been helt to NOT be entrapment.

(Yes, there are detailed criteria that I haven't outlined above, and no, I don't agree with it)

Quote:
The fact that he was unlawfully detained by the two officers while waiting for their sergeant to show up and put them in their place would be enough to get me to consider filing a lawsuit, were I in his shoes.
I'm not sure you'd win. Courts have given LEO a pretty wide latitude - especially if the cop claims reasonable suspicion.
Global_Hi_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 7:58 am   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in the sky
Posts: 490
Aha!

At last, something to explain the camera-shy work farce at the checkpoint! Not a pretty sight.

loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 10:17 am   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RDU
Programs: OnePass
Posts: 773
By whose criteria is the photo 'esthetic?'

What's crap in one person's eyes is art in another.
__________________
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!
mikemey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 11, 10:24 am   #15
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DCA / WAS
Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Posts: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemey View Post
By whose criteria is the photo 'esthetic?'

What's crap in one person's eyes is art in another.
I know it when I see it.
Global_Hi_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 am.