Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police can detain photographers if their photo has no apparent esthetic value!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Police can detain photographers if their photo has no apparent esthetic value!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by saulblum
Unless the "authorities" shut off cell service.
This is why I keep my ham radio license even in this day and age.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
are you people in the USA still sure you live in the land of the free?
Those of us with half a brain realize that we don't - or at least no more free than many many other countries and a lot less free than some.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll add another couple of scenarios to this mess:

You can have legitimate shots that have no value even by the assessment of the person who snapped the shot. Off the top of my head:

1) I was using the zoom lens in place of binoculars. I accidentally snapped a frame when I only meant to focus.

2) There was this beautiful butterfly flitting around near me and I was trying to get a picture of it. It was more maneuverable than I was, I got a lot of shots where it wasn't in the frame at all.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My nanny was yelled at this weekend by a DC police officer for taking a picture of the Pentagon. Funny, I always thought it was a very nice-looking building.

Mike
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
My nanny was yelled at this weekend by a DC police officer for taking a picture of the Pentagon. Funny, I always thought it was a very nice-looking building.

Mike
Not only can DC police not prevent you from photographing from a public place, they just actually had their hands slapped by the courts for going after someone

http://www.pixiq.com/article/jerome-...ins-settlement
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA MM
Reading the biologically illiterate LAPD SAR program document, I'm still wondering what "Eboli" are, and how one could acquire smallpox in Los Angeles at all, in view of the fact that the nearest smallpox virus is located on the other side of the continent, in Atlanta, in a rather secure federal facility.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Interesting since the Pentagon is in Arlington, VA.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Interesting since the Pentagon is in Arlington, VA.
.... and yet are assigned 202 area code phone numbers for fixed line communication. Not that I have ever seen DC PD there enforcing even DC laws.

From bridges or the District proper, they sort of deserve a reputation for being sloppy and unnecessarily overbearing.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:43 pm

Hmm, my brother takes a lot of obscure pictures - of tractors and buildings. That would be interesting to see them detain him.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mikemey
By whose criteria is the photo 'esthetic?'

What's crap in one person's eyes is art in another.
Exhibit A: the entirety of the 1970's. <shudder>
Old May 23, 2013, 1:12 pm

No one on any airline has ever asked me to stop taking video or photos. That includes most of the US majors and Air Canada.

In fact, I was shooting video on an Air Canada takeoff that had to abort at high speed. 8 tires exploded.

I offered the tape to the captain as I was exiting the airplane but he just laughed.

Just be discrete, don't use a honking great DSLR and you shouldn't have any problems.

It also helps if you confine your photographing activities when the FAs are strapped in (takeoff/landing) or in the middle of the flight when they're taking a break. I cannot imagine why they would complain unless you start walking around the cabin shooting photos of everyone.

And remember, most laptops have their own camera. Just point the whole thing and shoot.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:24 pm

Among the non-criminal behaviors "which shall be reported on a SAR" are the usage of binoculars and cameras (presumably when observing a building, although this is not specified), asking about an establishment's hours of operation, taking pictures or video footage "with no apparent esthetic value," and taking notes.
I wonder what would occur if I went to a Long Beach police station, viewed the front desk through binoculars, took a photograph of the lobby, walked up to the sergeant on duty and asked what were the station's hours of operation, and if they answered, took notes?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by KM123
Hmm, my brother takes a lot of obscure pictures - of tractors and buildings. That would be interesting to see them detain him.
The tractors are nearby - in Compton.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb...farms-20110220
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Wouldn't his law put everybody who uses Instagram at immediate risk???

Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:44 am

Location: UWB Signs, 3255 Pepper Lane Ste 107, Las Vegas NV 89120
But then who will decide what is aesthetically pleasing or not? Something that is graceful for me can be completely shabby for someone else. There are no basic standard and in fact we cannot generalize beauty on individual standards. #myopinion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.