Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated thoughts on the "Trusted" traveler program

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The TSA document checker was giving everyone from our flight grief about it - and told several to go to the check-in counter and get a "legitimate" boarding pass. I asked for a supervisor, who then instructed the document checker to accept the UK-issued BPs.
Wow!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I am still hopeful that the expedited screening line will feed into a WTMD with occasional 'random' additional searches at the 3% rate they always mention.
How about this for a radical idea? No screening other than putting bags through the x-ray for "trusted travelers"?

Think about it: That is more screening than those servicing the planes get.

For a program like that, I'd submit my personal info and pay a fee. Otherwise, forget it!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
How about this for a radical idea? No screening other than putting bags through the x-ray for "trusted travelers"?

For a program like that, I'd submit my personal info and pay a fee. Otherwise, forget it!
Sorry, that would mean that they actually trust you. They don't.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:12 am

I am listening to all the objections to the NOS and was thinking why I didn't care then it kind of hit me. I went to a private boarding school when they had communal showers, gym was strictly military style showers, college was no better, I had a job working in a prison in my early years, my first health club was men only (e.g. nude swimming and whirlpools). My current one (Life Time Fitness) you're exposed most of the time in the locker room. I've never had a hard time time taking it off at nude beaches and at 50 I don't think many people are looking at my middle age physique anymore.

I guess you are a product of your environment.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I am listening to all the objections to the NOS and was thinking why I didn't care then it kind of hit me. I went to a private boarding school when they had communal showers, gym was strictly military style showers, college was no better, I had a job working in a prison in my early years, my first health club was men only (e.g. nude swimming and whirlpools). My current one (Life Time Fitness) you're exposed most of the time in the locker room. I've never had a hard time time taking it off at nude beaches and at 50 I don't think many people are looking at my middle age physique anymore.

Modesty is just one of several reasons that people object to the technology.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Modesty is just one of several reasons that people object to the technology.
Indeed. For example, see this article. (Palm Springs now does have AIT.)
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike

Hmmm, in some ways your thinking like Pistole
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SATTSO
Hmmm, in some ways your thinking like Pistole
Okay, that was low. May get you reported to the Mods!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:44 pm

Personally, I go to the gym almost every day. I am naked, in the women's locker room, all the time (sauna, showering, changing, etc...). This, however, is my choice. To be virtually strip searched by my government for having the audacity to travel, is completely unreasonable. Plain and simple; I decide who will be unfortunate enough to see me au naturel.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

That's not my only issue with the NoS. I also object to being bombarded with Ionizing Radiation (Backscatter) by a government clerk that has not been trained to operated said machines.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:53 pm

FKK was the way that people in the DDR could rebel against their government policies which took away their freedoms. (Including the freedom to travel)

The difference is that choosing to be nude under FKK is far different than having the government force one to go through a WBI.

People practiced FKK because it gave them the power to make their own decisions, and not have their government make it for them. I find it ironic that now the tables are somewhat turned and it is a different government restricting the rights.

And yes, abosolutely, I am a product of my environment.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
FKK was the way that people in the DDR could rebel against their government policies which took away their freedoms. (Including the freedom to travel)
Perhaps at some point, but it was originally about health and the first FKK club opened in 1898, well before the governmental issues you mention.

The difference is that choosing to be nude under FKK is far different than having the government force one to go through a WBI.
Exactly. And that's the point made in the article I linked in a previous post.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Perhaps at some point, but it was originally about health and the first FKK club opened in 1898, well before the governmental issues you mention.

Exactly. And that's the point made in the article I linked in a previous post.
I'm well aware of why the people of my parents generation (and to some degree my generation) practiced FKK in the DDR.

The link you posted by the way doesn't lead to an article, just a blog with a few lines of text and a broken link.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:16 pm

Would 6 to 12 people have surrounded you and threatened you with a fine or arrest had you not wanted to get naked, or take a shower infront of other people, or could you have just left without a confrontation had you not wanted to do that?

You can't just leave the airport with out being surrounded by people who want to know why you are interferring with the screening process by refusing if you decide these new screening procedures are more than you can deal with because of being a breast cancer survivor, a survivor of rape or child molestation, or moral issues due to how one is raised.

Last edited by Lara21; Oct 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
The link you posted by the way doesn't lead to an article, just a blog with a few lines of text and a broken link.
The article was too old to be kept on the newspaper's site. I recall reading it at the time. The blog captured the most interesting parts, which is why I posted it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.