Wiki Posts
Search

Positive experience at ___ airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Positive experience at ___ airport

Yes, I'm not going identify it, because I'm afraid that if I do, some idiot at TSA HQ will ruin it.

I've always enjoyed this location, as the lines aren't long, the clerks don't bark, and it is generally a truly pleasant experience. Totally unlike the usual TSA storm trooper environment.

Yesterday, though, was my first experience at this location now that the NoS machines are everywhere. To my surprise, this location lets you openly self select. You don't need to game the system by waiting for someone to go into the NoS - the NoS is fed by one line and package xray belt, and right next to it, another x ray belt feeds a WTMD. And yes, the WTMD was twice as long as the NoS line, and none of the clerks were directing people into the NoS line.

After putting my gear back together, I walked over to the three-striper manning the command post and thanked him for maintaining a true opt-out experience without coercion. He looked at me in a puzzled fashion and said "but you should have that option everywhere." I laughed and told him how IAD and DCA worked, and that if you asked for an opt out of the NoS, you were treated to a delayed retaliatory grope by clearly annoyed clerks. He said "well, they aren't supposed to be doing that."

The flyers who use ___ airport don't know how good they have it.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
After putting my gear back together, I walked over to the three-striper manning the command post and thanked him for maintaining a true opt-out experience without coercion. He looked at me in a puzzled fashion and said "but you should have that option everywhere." I laughed and told him how IAD and DCA worked, and that if you asked for an opt out of the NoS, you were treated to a delayed retaliatory grope by clearly annoyed clerks. He said "well, they aren't supposed to be doing that."
...and if you said it to the clerks at IAD and/or DCA, they'd tell you "he's doing it wrong, but we can't tell you why because that's SSI."

It's sad that the situations at airports have gotten so bad that you'd feel gratitude for the TSA simply doing what their website says they're supposed to be doing.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.
....or female squirrel.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by halls120
I've always enjoyed this location, as the lines aren't long, the clerks don't bark, and it is generally a truly pleasant experience. Totally unlike the usual TSA storm trooper environment.
I had a great experience at an airport today myself. There was no say-your-name threat. The TDC looked at my boarding pass, my ID, and made the magic squiggle. There are no NoSes. I only wish I could fly to this airport more often. As it is, I felt weird enough submitting a positive comment card saying that it was the best TSA experience I've had in years.

And, just as with the OP, I'm not going to identify the airport for fear the TSA will wreck it.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyermatthew
I had a great experience at an airport today myself. There was no say-your-name threat. The TDC looked at my boarding pass, my ID, and made the magic squiggle. There are no NoSes. I only wish I could fly to this airport more often. As it is, I felt weird enough submitting a positive comment card saying that it was the best TSA experience I've had in years.

And, just as with the OP, I'm not going to identify the airport for fear the TSA will wreck it.
SSI! SSI! SSI! Hushhhh!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:20 pm

If word of this pleasant experience made it back to Washington somebody could lose his or her job.

I remember when the postal service was the butt of jokes about incompetent employees being identified through comment cards so they could be promoted.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:38 pm

And yet again, flights departing from this mysterious airport did not fall from the sky.

Amazing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.