Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Metal Dectectors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Platinum / Marriott - Platinum Premier / Starwood - Platinum Preferred
TSA Metal Dectectors

Is there a list of REQUIRED things that must be removed from a person before going through the TSA metal detectors? I'm trying to validate which items MUST be removed such has a belt, watch, etc. I contacted TSA without much luck. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:52 pm

Does it matter? The web site and policy will be out of date by the time you get to the airport, and you will do as the TSO says, or you will be asked if you want to fly. And it doesn't matter how it's done at other airports.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:19 pm

Seems to me that it doesn't matter whether something is or isn't on a TSA list. You're taking a chance of alarming the detector and thus being subjected to a resolution patdown by having metal on your person. If you don't mind the patdown, then don't worry about your watch, belt, jewelry, whatever. If you prefer to avoid it when possible, just be aware that leaving metal stuff on increases the chance of the patdown.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by airj1012
Is there a list of REQUIRED things that must be removed from a person before going through the TSA metal detectors? I'm trying to validate which items MUST be removed such has a belt, watch, etc. I contacted TSA without much luck. Thanks.
Nobody can answer how much metal your items have. And whether they'll alarm the detector is often a subtle function of geometry (so it matters where the item is). Most of us know from experience what alarms and what doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.