Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA behavior detection program

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would hope this study would be enough to convince TSA to abandon the BDO program.

I have always questioned if anyone could be trained in Behavior Detection well enough to put in place the practice in just a couple of weeks, especially on people who the TSA employee has never had any interaction with. Given that the Behavior Detection isn't a proven science I really question is some quickly trained people could even grasp the most basic concepts of the program. And who would start answering questions from a stranger in an airport?

If TSA wants to ask me a question they had better be identifying exactly who they are and why the questions.

Looks like I had cause for my concern.
From the link:

“The passenger should not suspect that they have undergone any deliberate line of questioning,” a Spot document instructs, contributing to the ACLU’s conclusion that plainclothes Spot officers “conduct surveillance covertly”.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
From the link:

Yes I read that part. But who is going to start answering questions from a complete stranger in an airport?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yes I read that part. But who is going to start answering questions from a complete stranger in an airport?
And if the 'stranger' is in a TSA uniform, who won't "suspect that they have undergone [a] deliberate line of questioning"?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
And if the 'stranger' is in a TSA uniform, who won't "suspect that they have undergone [a] deliberate line of questioning"?
They are suppose to be in civvies so we don't suspect their questioning to be odd.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:46 pm

They are suppose to be in civvies so we don't suspect their questioning to be odd.
The one that interrogated me, followed me into the toilet, and continued trying to ask questions while I was in the stall a few years ago was in a standard TSA uniform. I didn't pay attention at the time to how many stripes.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
The one that interrogated me, followed me into the toilet, and continued trying to ask questions while I was in the stall a few years ago was in a standard TSA uniform. I didn't pay attention at the time to how many stripes.
In that instance you should have summoned a police officer. Was she profiling?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:37 am

Behavior detection fails yet again:

TSA does not have valid evidence that most of the indicators in its revised list of behavioral indicators can be used to identify individuals who may pose a threat to aviation security. In our review of all 178 sources TSA cited in support of its revised list, we found that 98 percent (175 of 178) of the sources do not provide valid evidence applicable to the specific indicators that
TSA identified them as supporting. In total, we found that TSA does not have valid evidence to support 28 of its 36 revised behavioral indicators, has one source of valid evidence to support each of 7 indicators, and has 2 sources of valid evidence to support 1 indicator.
http://www.gao.gov/assets/690/686001.pdf
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Behavior detection fails yet again:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/690/686001.pdf
For those who don't want to read the document GAO is again stating that there is little to no valid evidence supporting TSA's BDO program.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
For those who don't want to read the document GAO is again stating that there is little to no valid evidence supporting TSA's BDO program.
USA Today ran a piece...

GAO: TSA doesn't have scientific justification to detect terrorists through most behavioral tics
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:05 am

Specifically, the Act required that TSA, not later than 30 days after enactment, utilize BDOs for passenger and baggage security screening, including the verification of traveler documents, particularly at designated TSA Pre✓™ lanes to ensure that such lanes are operational for use and maximum efficiency.
TSA didn't downsize the BDO force by much - probably achieved entirely through attrition and promotions. I'd really like to know how much extra pay BDOs get when they are no longer performing as BDOs. I think it's particularly interesting that they recommended the BDOs work the TDC at Precheck lanes - a nod to TSA not opening Precheck lanes because of an alleged staffing shortage or forcing both Precheck and regular pax to share one TDC.

FSDs, of course, have the final say, and as I type this, both the Precheck and regular lanes are getting longer.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the linked article.

TSA also pointed out that identifying suspicious behavior in airports has resulted in law-enforcement arrests.
But not arrests for terrorist threats which suggests TSA is intent on exceeding the Congressional mandate for TSA operations.

edit to add:

another quote from the article:

The Department of Homeland Security, which oversees TSA, responded to the GAO that the behavior-detection program was eliminated before this fiscal year, and officers were integrated into the checkpoint workforce.
If GAO can count the number of screeners that are also doing BDO work was the program really eliminated or is this just a case of government deception?

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 21, 2017 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I Wasted My Lunchtime Reading the GAO Report

This report will go nowhere for a couple of reasons:

1. The requesters were two Democrats, so the Republicans will ignore it.
2. There are no politicals to inject any administration views and policies.
3. Once again, the TSA simply blew off the GAO. The response letter is somewhere between laughable and arrogant. It starts on Page 12 of the report.

"Highlights" include (Sorry -- Can't cut & paste text from a JPEG):

1. They never said they got rid of the SPOTNik program. They simply made the SPOTNiks ordinary clerks, but with SPOTNik powers.

2. They said they used the money from the SPOTNik to buy more clerks for the long lines last year.

3. They cherry-picked the RAND study (which had very little to do with airport security):

The TSA quoted:

...there is current value and unrealized potential for using behavioral indicators as part of a system to detect attacks.
Here's the ENTIRE text so you can read what they conveniently omitted (bolded for convenience):

Despite exaggerations found in commercial claims and the media, there is current value and unrealized potential for using behavioral indicators as part of a system to detect attacks. Unfortunately, analytic quantification of that potential is poorly developed.
In the same paragraph, the TSA pulled this sentence fragment out of context:

Observing physiological state holds promise for detecting deception and other behaviors.
Here's the entire paragraph (Surprise -- This section is mostly about polygraphs.):

Physiological State and Reactions.

Observing physiological state holds promise for detecting deception and other behaviors. We touch upon polygraph testing, other measures of peripheral nervous system response, electroencephalograms (EEGs), vocal stress, and facial expression analysis.
They wrote that you needed to be a SPOTNik in order to "detect"

"hanging wires, especially around the waist, may be signs or a suicide bomber."
And, of course, they justify the SPOTNik program on the Big Catch of somebody in McAllen, Texas, who, under intense SPOT interrogation, who was carrying 4.4 kilos of cocaine. Of course, they justify the War on Drugs because terrorists do the same things.

This is the same lack of accountability we see every day at checkpoints. They just lie and walk away.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

If GAO can count the number of screeners that are also doing BDO work was the program really eliminated or is this just a case of government deception?
If the job title 'BDO' has been eliminated and the program eliminated because the BDO nonsense has been discredited, surely no one at the 'academy' is still teaching these bogus techniques.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:53 pm

that there is little to no valid evidence supporting TSA's BDO program.

I'm a little behind on this story...
Supporting that it is effective or that it even exists?
If it's agents following people into bathrooms (like the above post describes) I gotta believe they would try to mask it.

Last edited by yandosan; Jul 21, 2017 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
that there is little to no valid evidence supporting TSA's BDO program.

I'm a little behind on this story...
Supporting that it is effective or that it even exists?
That it's effective. An earlier GAO review found that TSA BDO's did about as well identifying threats as an untrained person did by just guessing.

Pure Bunkum!

The other part of this is that DHS announce last year that funding for the TSA BDO program had ended. Seems that's not entirely true either.

How is it that honesty and TSA are polar opposites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.