Search

More "stolen jewerly" - Laura Ingraham

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA
More "stolen jewerly" - Laura Ingraham

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/18/la...ptismal-cross/

Laura Ingrahams baptismal cross went missing from her checked luggage at the Newark airport this weekend, and the syndicated radio host says either a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) worker or a Continental Airlines employee is responsible.

Ingraham had just finished several radio and television appearance in New York City and was in a rush to the airport. She told The Daily Caller she normally carries her luggage on planes, but since she was pressed for time and was carrying copies of her new book, she checked a suitcase before her Friday evening flight from Newark to Denver.

In her luggage was a small purple jewelry bag containing the cross she received at her Catholic baptism about nine years ago. Its from the Vatican, Ingraham told TheDC. It was blessed by the Pope.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:20 pm

Laura Ingraham: TSA or Continental worker stole Babtismal Cross

"Laura Ingrahams baptismal cross went missing from her checked luggage at the Newark airport this weekend, and the syndicated radio host says either a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) worker or a Continental Airlines employee is responsible."

"Ingraham adds that shes not as worried about her stolen stuff as she is about the bigger picture. My thing is an annoyance and its sad, Ingraham said. But the bigger thing is, we have criminals working in our airports. Were doing these backscatter x-ray machines, were spending billions on airport security, and yet our basic screening of employees seems to be completely lacking.

If you have criminals woking at the airport, you can also have terrorists.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/18/la...#ixzz1SURnPxqp
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
I doubt it was TSA that stole this. From what I understand they spontaneously combust into flames any time they touch something Holy.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Sorry, but anyone who travels as much as she probably does should know better than to leave anything small and valuable in a checked bag. It's sad that we have to think that way, and that the airlines and TSA can't or won't do a better job of stopping theft, but it's reality, and it's easy to avoid. Just put the stuff in your purse, ladies.

So either she is that naive or she did it on purpose to make a story. I'm leaning toward Door #2, due to the semi-unique nature of the object. It's not the only one like it by any means, but it is somewhat distinctive in appearance.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ga_girl
Laura Ingrahams baptismal cross went missing from her checked luggage at the Newark airport this weekend, and the syndicated radio host says either a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) worker or a Continental Airlines employee is responsible.
I would not want to be on her bad side.

Originally Posted by ga_girl
It was blessed by the Pope.
This time they've done it.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by seaduck79
So either she is that naive or she did it on purpose to make a story. I'm leaning toward Door #2, due to the semi-unique nature of the object. It's not the only one like it by any means, but it is somewhat distinctive in appearance.
Reinforces the lesson not to put anything you care about in checked baggage. But TSA screeners have been arrested for stealing from passengers' carry on bags right at the checkpoint - and they sometimes tell you to take off jewelry, too.

You're just vulnerable - it's really the only situation where they tell you to put your wallet, your phone, your keys, your jewelry down in a public place and walk away.

But I got the impression from the article that she ended up deciding to check the bag at the last minute, so it could have just been an accident (with bad consequences) on her part.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by clrankin
I doubt it was TSA that stole this. From what I understand they spontaneously combust into flames any time they touch something Holy.
^

That's why they wear gloves.

At least the thief will surly burn in hell for what they have done.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Sorry, but anyone who travels as much as she probably does should know better than to leave anything small and valuable in a checked bag. It's sad that we have to think that way, and that the airlines and TSA can't or won't do a better job of stopping theft, but it's reality, and it's easy to avoid. Just put the stuff in your purse, ladies.
There have been baggage thieves at airports ever since there have been airports and long before the TSA.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:57 pm

When thefts become a rampant problem, it's not uncommon for the police to set up a honeypot. An unlocked car with a briefcase sitting on the passenger seat. A female undercover cop carrying a laptop bag on one shoulder. An unlocked dorm room with a laptop in it. I don't think the "entrapment" defense ever works here, since the criminal is not being actively heckled into doing it.

So...any local law enforcement out there want to do TSA honeypots? I can't imagine it being too hard to set up an iPad to record the front-facing camera with a black screen, put it by itself in a plastic X-ray bin, and bam--you not only have an undercover cop witnessing the theft, but the iPad itself could record the clerk stealing the item.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
There have been baggage thieves at airports ever since there have been airports and long before the TSA.
Yes. And before TSA I was allowed to lock my bags as I saw fit, too. The addition of the TSA to the mix did nothing but add gosh-knows-how-many thieves to the mix. At least in the old days, you could just blame the airline or the contracted baggage handlers.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:16 pm

Knock on wood, I've never had a baggage theft issue (not a surprise, given my limited amount of flying).

Before the TSA, were airlines more likely to properly reimburse passengers for theft from checked baggage? Seeing that the airline had full custody from check-in to plopping onto the claim carousel, they'd be more "cornered" in a theft claim. Now, if they do have a thieving employee, they can simply blame the TSA.

Originally Posted by NotaCriminal
Yes. And before TSA I was allowed to lock my bags as I saw fit, too. The addition of the TSA to the mix did nothing but add gosh-knows-how-many thieves to the mix. At least in the old days, you could just blame the airline or the contracted baggage handlers.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:19 pm

And I'd wager that overall thefts have gone down rather than up.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clrankin
Damn, you owe me a keyboard!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Yes but back when luggage was not TSA screened, an airline bag handler had to break in more or less at random. Of course a locked expensive leather designer bag might have a higher probability of goodies than a beat up Costco bag a FF might check. OTOH that FF bag might have a spare laptop or other nice electronics.

What has changed? TSA has X-RAY powers. Nothing beats seeing that Ipad or round gold coin looking item or camcorder in false color on a monitor. TSA has given dishonest TSOs the best tool possible for real time searching of closed bags so they know which one out of a hundred is worth opening. That has changed everyting.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mahohmei
When thefts become a rampant problem, it's not uncommon for the police to set up a honeypot. An unlocked car with a briefcase sitting on the passenger seat. A female undercover cop carrying a laptop bag on one shoulder. An unlocked dorm room with a laptop in it. I don't think the "entrapment" defense ever works here, since the criminal is not being actively heckled into doing it.

<snip>
None of the rest of the Constitution applies at the airport, why would this be any different?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.