Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
FTR, I did not mean any disrespect to those who use wheelchairs. I was trying to refer to pax in wheelchairs who physically cannot stand up and walk through a scanner.
I didn't (and don't) think you meant any disrespect. But language matters. (Reference, for example, the difference between items at a checkpoint being "voluntarily surrendered" and "confiscated".)

Truth be told ... I've been trained to be sensitive on this issue, because I have family members who work in this world. There's a lot of careless language used to refer to people with disabilities ... and so I try to bring a little light into my tiny corners of the world.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GilbertH
Dude it isn't an Ironman competition

You just walk into the thing, let it do one "swipe," and it's over.
"Assume the psition" isn't a command I'm ever likely to follow.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
ORD Terminal 1 UA Premier Line side

I tell the TSO standing at the Nude-O-Scope I wanted to opt out. It took a while longer before an officer, who looked to be a supervisor appeared and led me to the area with the yellow shoe prints. When getting to that area, my items had already been waiting on the other end. He asked for me to point to my items, then moved the trays to where I could see them. Strangely enough, he was very vocal (but not screaming at me, just saying where he was going to pat me down), was saying almost every command that he was about to do when patting me down. At one point he did brush up very close to my genitals patting down my right thigh area but other than that nothing else too weird.
He did ask me to pull up my pants to assist and I had thought about not complying, in the end I did just to speed up the process. Everything else was uneventful.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
FLL Terminal 1 B Side has a "randomizer" now. It is a tablet-sized display. While not in use, it shows a blue screen (of death?) that is blank except for "Randomizer" in white text at the top. When the TSA employee taps it, a white arrow pointing left or right fills the screen.

I am not sure what the point of this particular randomizer is, given that there are no NOSs at this checkpoint and people traveling together were not separated while I was watching. I even walked past the randomizer without stopping; I would be surprised if I was the only pax to do so, given how closely the randomizer was placed to the PreCheck lane entrance.

I saw this gadget in use this past Friday in FLL. I didn't observe it for a long time but did see the arrow shift in 2 different directions.

Also, FLL has one of the worst positioned TSA Prechecks I've seen yet. It's towards the middle of all the security lines. So people are accessing it from two different directions, meanwhile, the TSO who is using the gadget has to juggle people, Precheck or non Precheck, coming from so many different directions.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Last week, connecting at DTW, after Immigration/Customs, I was told that the Pre-Check wasn't available "this early in the morning", but that I could go up three levels to the main lobby where the only Pre-Check was open. I did so (I had several hours layover), got to the Pre-Check line to be told to go through the MMW scanner. Unfortunately, I had already placed my cane on the x-ray belt, so had to hobble over to the MMW. The TSA agent asked me to hurry (he may have said "please"), then looked angry that I was so slow (I was without my cane). When I left the MMW, I was told the TSO had to touch my ankle (I have a metal implant). By this time, I asked for my cane as I was having balance trouble, but was told it would waiting for me at the end of the x-ray. Not a very fun way to prepare for a 15 hour flight.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by relangford
Last week, connecting at DTW, after Immigration/Customs, I was told that the Pre-Check wasn't available "this early in the morning", but that I could go up three levels to the main lobby where the only Pre-Check was open. I did so (I had several hours layover), got to the Pre-Check line to be told to go through the MMW scanner. Unfortunately, I had already placed my cane on the x-ray belt, so had to hobble over to the MMW. The TSA agent asked me to hurry (he may have said "please"), then looked angry that I was so slow (I was without my cane). When I left the MMW, I was told the TSO had to touch my ankle (I have a metal implant). By this time, I asked for my cane as I was having balance trouble, but was told it would waiting for me at the end of the x-ray. Not a very fun way to prepare for a 15 hour flight.
File a complaint. Unacceptable treatment of a person with obvious movement issues.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by relangford
You mention in another post that security at LHR had to touch your ankle after passing through the NOS. NOS should not be picking up the implant - or did it? Is the swelling significant enough to be "seen" by MMW?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You mention in another post that security at LHR had to touch your ankle after passing through the NOS. NOS should not be picking up the implant - or did it? Is the swelling significant enough to be "seen" by MMW?
Might be a coincidence. I don't have any implants, and at times when I go through the MMW machines, the TSO on duty tells me he has to pat down my ankle. A couple of seconds later, I'm cleared to move on.

I think that sometimes the bulk of wet pants (I live up north; we've been marching through snowbanks for months now) and wet socks sometimes creates odd images for the MMW. But that's purely speculative.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Might be a coincidence. I don't have any implants, and at times when I go through the MMW machines, the TSO on duty tells me he has to pat down my ankle. A couple of seconds later, I'm cleared to move on.

I think that sometimes the bulk of wet pants (I live up north; we've been marching through snowbanks for months now) and wet socks sometimes creates odd images for the MMW. But that's purely speculative.
I don't think so. I think it has been rather widely documented that one of the things that registers oddly is 'excessive' sweat, so it wouldn't surprise me if wet trouser legs looked unusual.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I don't know; it just happened. I don't think it was the swelling, so I assumed it was the titanium rods and screws. Maybe, they checked because of my limp.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Nude-O-Scope Opt Out Stories [merged]

My shoulder "injury" acted up at BWI this morning. I was asked to stop just after the WTMD and have a have swab. Didn't take long. I asked the guy if this was new and he said it was part of the new SOP.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Superguy
My shoulder "injury" acted up at BWI this morning. I was asked to stop just after the WTMD and have a hand swab. Didn't take long. I asked the guy if this was new and he said it was part of the new SOP.
My shoulder injury has not acted up in quite some time, thanks to PreCheck, but if a hand swab is what it means to avoid the grope when PreCheck is not available, then I have no problem with that.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
My shoulder "injury" acted up at BWI this morning. I was asked to stop just after the WTMD and have a have swab. Didn't take long. I asked the guy if this was new and he said it was part of the new SOP.
Oh, crud! All you teowwrists out there be sure to make a note not to wear hand lotion and wash hands thoroughly before going through the checkpoint.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:35 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
That last 3 times I've gone through PreCheck in LAX T5, I've gotten the swab after going through the WTMD.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
That last 3 times I've gone through PreCheck in LAX T5, I've gotten the swab after going through the WTMD.
I got my hand swab before going through the WTMD. This was yesterday at DEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.