Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pup7
RE: the KCM. Again, I'm speechless, but for vastly different reasons.
Don't let it bother you too much. The kid making $10.00 a hour working for the catering company gets to drive a big truck on the field and enter the aircraft without going through any security at all as well.

But they did a background investigation on him . . .

Its' not security--it's security theater.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Don't let it bother you too much. The kid making $10.00 a hour working for the catering company gets to drive a big truck on the field and enter the aircraft without going through any security at all as well.

But they did a background investigation on him . . .

Its' not security--it's security theater.
The whole thing annoys me.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dino, you are cool! ^

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm Reason: unnecesary wholesale quoting
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackonferry
That's really cool. I hope you keep exercising your rights and keeping your cool.
Well, done, young lady.

Do well in school, get all your friends out to vote, and make a difference in this country & the world....please....
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Well, done, young lady.

Do well in school, get all your friends out to vote, and make a difference in this country & the world....please....

Thank you for your kind words (and everyone else's!) but I am a male, sorry if I didn't make that clear
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

I was finally called over, my parents and I joking around, the head hancho saying "You must not have any contact with him". That ended that, I was patted down.
BFD, you're a teenager. You're not supposed to wanna have anything to do with your parents, anyway.

Mike
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Thank you for your kind words (and everyone else's!) but I am a male, sorry if I didn't make that clear
Well -- Find a young lady you can go through life with doing the right thing and changing the world together.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Today's events as SAN.

I explained that i couldn't lift one of my arms over my head. Barker TSO directed me to WTMD after i demonstrated how high it could go. I attempted to enter WTMD behind a family and TSO monitoring the WTMD stopped me. The barker relayed my limitation to him. TSO had me show him how high i could lift and redirected me to the scanner. I prepare to assume the position and I lift my arm up as much as i could and TSO manning the scanner said I could not be scanned (The machine was not run) and had to use the WTMD.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:12 am

Asking to show 'proof' is the first step towards what I had feared; that those of us who legitimately cannot use the scanner will be somehow more negatively impacted than other travellers.

And frankly, what is to prevent those from faking an injury from faking how high they can raise their arm? I had a TSO once try and force my arm and almost fainted. I'm sure people reading can perfect expressing fake pain to their fake injury if needed.

Where was your hand luggage during all this redirecting back and forth?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by exbayern
Asking to show 'proof' is the first step towards what I had feared; that those of us who legitimately cannot use the scanner will be somehow more negatively impacted than other travellers.

And frankly, what is to prevent those from faking an injury from faking how high they can raise their arm? I had a TSO once try and force my arm and almost fainted. I'm sure people reading can perfect expressing fake pain to their fake injury if needed.

Unfortunately out of sight but no one was around and i didn't see any TSO approach the belt. Now if they tried to move my arm lets just say i would probably be arrested
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CDKing
Today's events as SAN.

I explained that i couldn't lift one of my arms over my head. Barker TSO directed me to WTMD after i demonstrated how high it could go. I attempted to enter WTMD behind a family and TSO monitoring the WTMD stopped me. The barker relayed my limitation to him. TSO had me show him how high i could lift and redirected me to the scanner. I prepare to assume the position and I lift my arm up as much as i could and TSO manning the scanner said I could not be scanned (The machine was not run) and had to use the WTMD.
Three data points:
  1. HIPAA violation
  2. They are not a medical doctor
  3. See numbers 1 & 2

Originally Posted by exbayern

Bolding mine: That is not part of the consent that one gives for a patdown when entering the checkpoint and if a TSO touched me in that manner without my express permission, then that is assault and battery and said TSO would have hit the ground in a choke hold with me on top of them, my knee in their back and me yelling for a LEO faster than they could yell "Code Bravo"
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
That's actually not a HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) violation - one reason being you can't commit a HIPAA violation against yourself, and the TSO isn't reporting your confidential medical record to anyone, much less gaining access to it - but that's definitely a TSO practicing medicine without a license. As an RN I can't even make such a call. I'm sure forcing someone's arm is battery and I'd love to see a TSO get slammed with that for pulling such a stunt. He/she certainly would if it were me in the pax's position.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It looks bad if you state you cannot raise your arms high enough above your head to have naked pictures taken of you, but you have no problem raining blows upon some swine who tries to raise them for you...
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
In the movies, that's called a "continuity" problem.

Bruce
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
You should have challenged this.

"Are you a doctor?"
TSA: <something stupid that the TSA will say>
"I'm not going to inflict pain upon myself to justify anything to you unless you provide current medical credentials and documentation showing this requirement as a condition to pass through the checkpoint. Please call your supervisor immediately."

I bet an overpriced airport beer you'd get right through the WTMD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.