Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase policy, one card every 6 months?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

New Chase policy, one card every 6 months?

I tried to apply for United Mileage Plus Gold Class Signature Visa from Chase in March. Few days ago I received a denial letter with the following reasoning: "Too many credit or loan accounts have been opened recently."

After calling for reconsideration and talking to couple different underwriters, I discovered that apparently they have a new policy where one can only get one Chase card every 6 months. As I did apply for Continental World MasterCard in December, they told me that in order for them to consider my new application I would have to either close my Continental card or wait 6 months from the December date.

Has anyone had a similar experience recently? Please post it here.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:03 pm

Yes, more and more anti consumer rules. Also I heard if one had a credit line reduction--regardless how small, then you also have to wait for 6 months after that.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by best
Yes, more and more anti consumer rules.
Oh, please.

Credit card opening for bonuses is great, but putting rules like this in place aren't anti-consumer.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Oh, please.

Credit card opening for bonuses is great, but putting rules like this in place aren't anti-consumer.
This one is definitely anti-consumer and sleazy - the $10 monthly fee.

NY State AG made Chase to recind on this fee and refund the fees back to cardholders.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/reuters/...-UPDATE-1.html
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by Happy
This one is definitely anti-consumer and sleazy - the $10 monthly fee.

NY State AG made Chase to recind on this fee and refund the fees back to cardholders.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/reuters/...-UPDATE-1.html
That is ridiculous that Chase would try to pull something like that. Here is the gist of the link that Happy posted about Chase and balance transfers:

"The offers made clear a one-time transaction fee would be charged for this promotional rate, Cuomo said in the statement. But last November, the bank sent letters to over 300,000 consumers, saying it would start charging a flat $10 fee per month."
Old Apr 4, 2009, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
this must be why my folks got rejected for a credit card recently. They has got the AGR card and then went for UA.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes I was told the same thing, even though I HAD canceled a card with them they said it didn't matter I still had to wait 6 months.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:57 pm
JJF

In the past several years, most of my new branded credit cards have been Chase cards. I just got a Chase Disney Card which required a hard inquiry on my credit report.

My credit history with Chase extends almost 20 years, my combined credit line is outstanding. I almost always pay in full each month, so I rarely carry a balance.

Making a long story short, I asked if there was a way in the future to get a new Chase card without a hard inquiry on the credit report. I was told that I could adjust my credit limits between my cards and I could convert from one card type to another type. However, I would not get any new card sign up or promo bonus.

Also, I know the more new credit card accounts you open the harder it becomes to get the next one. My understanding is credit cards age at 6 months and 1 year. The easiest way to get any credit card is not to have applied for them in the past 12 months.
Old May 1, 2009, 5:21 pm
JJF

More Info from Chase

I called Chase today and asked to convert my Chase Amazon Visa to a Chase Marriott Rewards. I was asked why? I told them I wanted a Marriott Rewards card to keep my Marriott Rewards points from not expiring. I was reminded that I would not get any new card sign up bonus. I responded with but I thought that Chase only allowed one new card every 6 months. (I just got a Chase Disney in February 2009). I was told there was no hard rule and each account is evaluated on a case by case basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.