Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

convert existing Chase credit card to mileage earning card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold

Is it possible to convert one of my existing Chase credit card accounts to a mileage earning credit card? If so, would I still qualify for any bonus miles? (i.e. convert to the British Airways Visa or the Mileage Plus visa, etc.)

Has anyone had experience doing this?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:50 pm
In memoriam

Why bother? Just apply for a new card and you'll be sure you get the bonuses. @:-)
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I did this last year and did not receive the bonus. When I questioned them about it they pointed me to the T&C which states "New Applications Only". So I applied for a new card after cancelling the old card.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
In my past experience, conversions can work (although the last time I did it was with MBNA) but you wouldn't get any sign up bonuses unless they were specifically targeted at you for converting. I haven't done this in some years though, as it's easier to just apply for the new offer.

It's possible if you apply for a new offer from Chase that they will grant you the new card and close the old one. Or they may allow you to have both. I have several cards from Chase, and when I applied for a new Freedom card recently (to get that amazing $250 deal), they did allow me to get the new card, and the bonus, but they closed a couple of older accounts that I hadn't used in ages.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
thanks for the info. I have a large credit line on an existing card, and I'd like to move it over to the new card, but it sounds like applying for a new one and then transferring the balance would work for best for me. Then again, hopefully they don't deny me based on my large amount of outstanding credit with Chase already.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I have personal experience that suggest a large outstanding amount of credit with Chase is no barrier to getting another Chase card as long as your credit rating is good. I have a mortgage with them as well as outstanding low-interest card debt. No problem. If you have an outstanding balance they won't close your old account though, which may result in you getting a new card with a low-ish credit limit. And you can't transfer balance from one Chase card to another. But this is fine, because you don't want your mileage earning card to have an ongoing balance anyway. You want to earn and then pay it off each month or the interest will cost much more than the miles are worth.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: Plat AA,CO and Delta, Avis First
I know that if you choose to not use the Continental Airlines I know the one a Chase rep told me about was a Flexible Rewards they give you 1000 points to Start it is 1 point for every $1 and you can transfer to continental in bundles of 5000 however it is 6000 points to 5000 continental miles
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:31 pm
In memoriam

IMHO, Chase is likely to give you a 2K credit line on your new card without much concern for your credit lines on other Chase cards--assuming you are paying as agreed. And, you will have the opportunity to transfer some, or all, of your old credit line to the new account should you so desire.

Be careful about just closing the old account as this can adversely harm your credit score.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: Plat AA,CO and Delta, Avis First
Everything is based on Credit.. I wouldnt disconnect.. But however line consolidation is not always a bad thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.