Ritz VISA Infinite $100 flight discount downgrade?

Subscribe
Okay I have booked already several flights using the $100 visa infinite website. Pretty easy process. However I have noticed that since about 7 days ago all the fares that were bellow $100 are gone. Previously if you found a fare of for example: $70 on google or an airline you would find it on the visa website and do $70 + $70 - $100 = $40. I did it twice.

However now ANY flight under $100 is actually booked in a higher fare automatically and when you find a $70 deep discount fare on AA, the visa infinite website will show you a $130 discount fare. So at the end the price is even more than booking directly with no discount. This has killed the main reason I got this card. To get very cheap flights.

Anyone has noticed this too recently?
I think you are right. I just did a few quick checks and it seems like they added about $30 to $40 per ticket on the sub-$100 tickets. It is still cheaper but only about $20 to $40 cheaper instead of $100.

It wasn't like that when I checked a month or so ago.
Seeing the same results.
I don't see them pricing flights higher - they seem to be blocking availability on the cheap flights. I couldn't book the flights I wanted - I wasn't given the option to select them at a higher cost
Quote: I don't see them pricing flights higher - they seem to be blocking availability on the cheap flights. I couldn't book the flights I wanted - I wasn't given the option to select them at a higher cost
I saw the exact same flights (on JetBlue) but exactly $30 higher per ticket. Long Beach to Oakland. $87 at JetBlue but $117 at Ritz Discount site.
Quote: I don't see them pricing flights higher - they seem to be blocking availability on the cheap flights. I couldn't book the flights I wanted - I wasn't given the option to select them at a higher cost
Its a combination of what you say and what I say. It is the same flight but it is a different fare. A higher inventory fare. Its a shame. Several days ago it was working fine.
That's a shame. I thought this was one of the great qualities of this card. I'm actually flying in a couple days on a father-son trip where I only paid $54 for our two roundtrip flights SMF-LGB. I guess it was just too good to last.
I guess I'm not keeping RC card when my AF hits. This would have made it worth otherwise. under $100 flights for 2 would have been great
Any updates on the higher fare pricing? Is this still going on? I'm waiting for my card to arrive and knocking 60/70% off of my trips to MSP was the primary motivation to get this card :-(
Quote: Any updates on the higher fare pricing? Is this still going on? I'm waiting for my card to arrive and knocking 60/70% off of my trips to MSP was the primary motivation to get this card :-(
Yeah it still raises the price to over $100 for a ticket. Did a random date in January ORD to MSP, AA shows $81. Same flight is $104 on Ritz. It's still not bad.. saving $60 on the 2 tickets.. just not $100 saving any more on sub $100 tickets.
Quote: Any updates on the higher fare pricing? Is this still going on? I'm waiting for my card to arrive and knocking 60/70% off of my trips to MSP was the primary motivation to get this card :-(
Yes Still adding about $60 more this credit card was a scam for me... I got it for this only reason since the rest of the "perks" suck. Now after using it a couple of times they totally killed it adding more to the real price of the ticket to make you not save any money...
Quote: Yes Still adding about $60 more this credit card was a scam for me... I got it for this only reason since the rest of the "perks" suck. Now after using it a couple of times they totally killed it adding more to the real price of the ticket to make you not save any money...
Are all your flights under $100? If so, I'd be amazed.
Quote: Are all your flights under $100? If so, I'd be amazed.
LOL no! I mean I got it to go to Orlando (I have a Disney annual pass) with my wife very often. I used it several times but now the flights would cost almost the same because on AA.com its $70 per person and on visa is $120 per person. $70 x 2 =$140 = $240-$100.

So yes going to orlando for $40 was my reason to get this card and then about 4 domestic trips to other places that I get reimbursed by the company (so I keep the $100 discount x4) but most of my travel is international and this perk is only on national flights.
Quote: ... on AA.com its $70 per person and on visa is $120 per person....
Are the lower fares also available on Expedia or Priceline, or only when buying directly from AA?
Quote: Are the lower fares also available on Expedia or Priceline, or only when buying directly from AA?
Thats a good question. I just checked and they are also available at $70 on priceline. So its not something AA website exclusive.