Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Please read this Wiki before posting questions in the thread.

This thread is a continuation of the pre-2016 discussion.

Note: Referrals are NOT allowed in this thread. Instead, see Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first)

The 5/24 rule for Chase, where 5 or more new accounts in 24 months can result in an application denial, appears to apply to Marriott personal cards but not the Business version of the Marriott card. For up to date information, please consult the wiki at Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward .

PERSONAL CARD
What are the current offers?

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa card

Five free night Certificates for up to 50,000 points per night after making $5000 in purchases within 3 months of opening the card. $95 annual fee, not waived the first year. Certificates are valid for one year from date of issuance. 6x at Marriott, 2x on travel and everything else. There's also a host of other benefits with the Boundless.. please see the Chase link for details.

BUSINESS CARDS
Bonvoy Premiere Plus
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/premier_plus_business_benefits

Offers one free night award (up to 35K points) upon renewal and an additional free night with spend up to $60K in a year. 6x per $1 on Marriott spend, 4x on gas, restaurants, shipping and internet/cable/phone; 2x everything else

Bonvoy Business Card
__https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/cardmember/rewards_benefits_
1x regular spend, 3x Marriott spend

Which offers are better?There is no universally correct answer. Relevant considerations include these:
  • Are you currently points-rich or cash poor? If you have 1 million Marriott points already, paying $85 for another 10K probably doesn't make sense.
  • What does your typical award redemption look like? Specifically, what yield (cents per point) do you normally get at the properties where you do award stays? Unless you're getting almost a penny a point--paying an $85 fee to buy an extra 10K points is not a good value proposition. (Adjust accordingly if you're considering paying the $99 fee for a business card with 80K bonus.)
  • Will the extra 10K put you over the top for a planned award? If getting another 10K will make the difference between having & not having enough points for an award you expect to book in the near future, taking the points generally makes sense. (Keep in mind that Marriott has added a cash & points award option for stays of 2+ nights, so you won't necessarily need the same number of points as in the past for a given award stay.)

I'm afraid to use a blind application page that doesn't list the signup bonus previously available on a now-expired landing page. How can I trust the links in the wiki?

How? The same way you'd trust the advice you're reading right now. If that makes you uneasy, OK -- but don't post in the thread asking for further reassurance. It'll be fine. Really.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards.
Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?

Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
If I hold both personal and business Marriott cards, will I receive a 15-night credit toward status for each?

When will the Elite Night Credit for spend on the card (1 night for each $3K) appear in my account?

According to this discussion, it can take anywhere from one week to almost two months after the close of the applicable statement. There are also reports that the night posts approximately ten days after the calendar month that the $3k is reached, regardless of the statement closing date. So in this instance, if you need that night to reach status by the end of the year, the spend would need to be met by the end of November in order for the night to post in December.
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?

See the wiki at Chase Free Night Certificate
Are there bonuses for signing up for the Marriott Rewards program itself?

Yes. There are two publicly available offers for new members to the Marriott Rewards program itself: If you think it's possible you will have any paid Marriott stays after you join, you should sign up for one of these offers before applying for the credit card. Make sure you give your new Marriott Rewards number on the credit card application, to tie the offers together.

Print Wikipost

Chase Marriott Credit Card Offers ARCHIVED (2016-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:52 pm

Another positive data point and a bow to the master - beltway. WAY over 5/24 and got approved for Marriott Bus card.

Earlier another friend was denied due to too many apps but must not have been 5/24 rule. Beltway was correct on that and I was not.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:22 pm

I applied for the following cards three weeks ago
1. united card - approved instantly
2. marriott card - pending
3. alaska airlines BOA card - approved instantly.

I had not done a CC application in over 2 years. Before the application I had Chase Freedom, sapphire preferred,hyatt and southwest. I am thinking about cancelling the southwest one as I don't use it much anymore. I was hoping both my chase cards will be approved. I am not sure if I should call chase regarding my marriott card. I have waited 3 weeks. The application ended up on a "Thank you for applying" page.
What do you guys suggest I should do? I really need this cards to cover the hotel portion of a trip I am planning next year.

THank you so much for your time!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:39 pm

They probably maxed you out on Chase credit. Once approved for a chase card they usually extend close to the max credit they will give you and have none leftover for another card.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound
They probably maxed you out on Chase credit. Once approved for a chase card they usually extend close to the max credit they will give you and have none leftover for another card.
Correct. This is pretty much SOP for Chase--thus the strong recommendation in the wiki (technically, the wiki to which this secondary thread's wiki links) to proactively reduce one's Chase CL prior to any app.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm Reason: fix tyop��
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:52 pm

Oh no!! Should I call them and ask to reduce my credit line in another card? I think it'd make sense to call before they send me a denial in the mail?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by blueflower22
Oh no!! Should I call them and ask to reduce my credit line in another card? I think it'd make sense to call before they send me a denial in the mail?
Too late now. Wait & see. If you get denied then you can call and ask CL to be moved around.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Ran into a problem receiving the 5X spend points with the Marriott Autograph Threadneedles property in London. Through multiple messages back to Chase, they continued to insist that "The bonus reward points received on the Marriott Reward program are based on how the purchase is classified by the merchant or the merchant's bank," and "Threadneedles Hotel has a business code of Lodging-Hotels, Motels, Resorts, which does not qualify to earn 5x bonus points for a Marriott Property."

At least to me, that doesn't seem to make sense -- status as a Marriott property doesn't seem like it would be part of a business / merchant code with the bank. That would seem to be part of a database maintained by Chase and/or Marriott (though if I'm mistaken here, please correct me).

They ultimately added the bonus points "as a gesture of our commitment to you," but never would acknowledge that the property should qualify. Based on that, I expect any future stays here would again not be credited with the bonus points.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:41 pm

Question about "First Purchase" on the 40k bonus no AF card?

The 40k bonus ($3k spend in 3 mo's) no AF card comes with a $200 statement credit:

"To qualify for and receive your bonus, your First Purchase must occur during the first 3 months from account opening. (“First Purchase” does not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges ..."

Does this mean that as long as you spend $1 during the first 3 mo's, you get the $200 statement credit, and if you spend $3k during that time, you get 40k pts as well? At first, I thought the first purchase that you charged had to exceed $200, but having re-read the T&C, it seems that's not so.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twa777
Ran into a problem receiving the 5X spend points with the Marriott Autograph Threadneedles property in London. Through multiple messages back to Chase, they continued to insist that "The bonus reward points received on the Marriott Reward program are based on how the purchase is classified by the merchant or the merchant's bank," and "Threadneedles Hotel has a business code of Lodging-Hotels, Motels, Resorts, which does not qualify to earn 5x bonus points for a Marriott Property."

At least to me, that doesn't seem to make sense -- status as a Marriott property doesn't seem like it would be part of a business / merchant code with the bank. That would seem to be part of a database maintained by Chase and/or Marriott (though if I'm mistaken here, please correct me).

They ultimately added the bonus points "as a gesture of our commitment to you," but never would acknowledge that the property should qualify. Based on that, I expect any future stays here would again not be credited with the bonus points.
Chase did the same to me on an AC hotel in Madrid. What is ironic is, another AC hotel showed up without any AC associated to its name but automatically earned the 5x. After SMed back and forth, Chase finally gave the missing pts "as a one time courtesy".

Same thing happened on the IHG card for a Crowne Plaza stay in Turkey.

Extremely annoying on the Chase hotel cards when it comes to stay made in Overseas.

These days I sometimes use other cards to earn more valuable currency then use Marriott / IHG cards at properties that Chase would surely not recognize the chain the hotels belong to.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Islander
The 40k bonus ($3k spend in 3 mo's) no AF card comes with a $200 statement credit:

"To qualify for and receive your bonus, your First Purchase must occur during the first 3 months from account opening. (“First Purchase” does not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges ..."

Does this mean that as long as you spend $1 during the first 3 mo's, you get the $200 statement credit, and if you spend $3k during that time, you get 40k pts as well? At first, I thought the first purchase that you charged had to exceed $200, but having re-read the T&C, it seems that's not so.

Any thoughts?
This is the language on the offer I got in late May:

<< A $200 statement credit after your first purchase within 3 months of account opening, including a Marriott® reservation or anything else. It will appear on your statement within 6-8 weeks.*>>

<< 40,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.*>>

It does not say any amount, just first purchase and that purchase can be a Marriott reservation or anything else. My interpretation is, any amount would work but of course you would get a $200 credit therefore why not buy something you actually need that would add up to $200 or more. If you spend $3000 within the first 90 days you also get 40K bonus.

Unfortunately the offer expires on June 30, before my 24 months penalty has expired.

The offer can still pull up with the pricing said 0 first year, but I dont know if it still carries a bonus and statement credit. Though knowing Chase, I suppose if no bonus posts, I can always ask to match the current offer... (current offers all carry 1st year fee).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Chase did the same to me on an AC hotel in Madrid. What is ironic is, another AC hotel showed up without any AC associated to its name but automatically earned the 5x. After SMed back and forth, Chase finally gave the missing pts "as a one time courtesy".

Same thing happened on the IHG card for a Crowne Plaza stay in Turkey.

Extremely annoying on the Chase hotel cards when it comes to stay made in Overseas.

These days I sometimes use other cards to earn more valuable currency then use Marriott / IHG cards at properties that Chase would surely not recognize the chain the hotels belong to.
And Chase did it to me at the AC Epicurean in Tampa, but it only took message to them saying "AC is a Marriott brand" and they credited the points right away. No runaround or "one time courtesy" but weird nevertheless.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:59 pm

for what its worth, i got a mailer today from marriott rewards. i already have the personal premier card. the offer was for the premier business card and lays out specifically the benefit of receiving another 15 nights, and a second free night certificate. also comes with 80,000 points after $3k in spend. $99 annual fee.maybe now they are specifically allowing it and using it as a selling point.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
This is the language on the offer I got in late May:

<< Unfortunately the offer expires on June 30, before my 24 months penalty has expired.
Do you mean this offer is already dead?

Last edited by mia; Aug 5, 2016 at 5:56 pm Reason: formatting
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:49 pm

Does anyone know if the Marriott card will be seeing any enhancements in light of the Ritz card being upgraded and SPG merger looming?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What is the timing of the anniversary free night certificate award ? Is it possible to get it and cancel right after to avoid getting charged the annual fee or have the annual fee refunded if cancellation of card is done immediately after ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.