Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chase trip Cancellation Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Does Ink Plus trip cancelation insurance apply to a non-cardholder?

If I use my Ink Plus to pay for travel made by a colleague, and then that colleague has to cancel the trip due to medical reasons, would the card's insurance cover the non-refundable fares that were booked, or does it cover only if the cardholder is the traveler ?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:00 am
zxd

Programs: A3

Does anyone know if Chase trip cancellation insurance applies for travel to Paris? The terms and benefits say "A terrorist action or hijacking" is a reason which may "cause cancellation of the travel arrangements" but there's no indication given as to the time-frame. It is very clear if your travel falls on the day or days after for a trip to Paris but what about the week after or two weeks after? How do they draw the line?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zxd
Does anyone know if Chase trip cancellation insurance applies for travel to Paris? The terms and benefits say "A terrorist action or hijacking" is a reason which may "cause cancellation of the travel arrangements" but there's no indication given as to the time-frame. It is very clear if your travel falls on the day or days after for a trip to Paris but what about the week after or two weeks after? How do they draw the line?
Travel alerts issued by the governments?

US government has not issued such alert AFAIK.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:47 pm
zxd

Originally Posted by Happy
Travel alerts issued by the governments?

US government has not issued such alert AFAIK.
A CEo from another travel insurance company said the following:

"The Paris attacks have been named an act of terrorism by the State Department, so insured travelers could be covered by travel insurance policies with this definition," said Squaremouth CEO Chris Harvey. "However, their trip dates and itinerary may need to meet other requirements to be eligible for coverage."

So it has been defined as terrorism by the State Department.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has the State Department issued a travel warning?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:53 pm
zxd

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has the State Department issued a travel warning?
Is that what the terms and conditions state as being necessary?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by zxd
... "cause cancellation of the travel arrangements...
I read the policy to mean that coverage applies if the travel arrangements are cancelled by the provider, not if the cardholder simply chooses not to make the trip.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zxd
Is that what the terms and conditions state as being necessary?
I don't know as I don't have Chase insurance and cannot see their T&C, but it seems to be a common standard for travel insurance.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:13 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...cannot see their T&C,...
Try here:

https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1...8b5e4b5a779add
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:14 pm
zxd

Originally Posted by mia
I read the policy to mean that coverage applies if the travel arrangements are cancelled by the provider, not if the cardholder simply chooses not to make the trip.
Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:
• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion
• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip
• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your Domestic Partner
• A terrorist action or hijacking
• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither of which can be postponed or waived
• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be uninhabitable
• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons
• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier whose services you booked
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by zxd
Covered Loss means...
I read all of that, and I think it means that you are covered if, for example, an airline is unable to operate your flight, or you are unable to reach the airport due to a terrorism incident at your location. I do not think it means that you can change your mind and elect not to travel. I may be incorrect. I mention it to help you see that you must contact the insurer to inquire because there are multiple interpretations of the same text.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by zxd
Covered Loss means...
I read all of that, and I think it means that you are covered if, for example, an airline is unable to operate your flight, or you are unable to reach the airport due to a terrorism incident at your location. I do not think it means that you can change your mind and elect not to travel. I may be incorrect. I mention it to help you see that you must contact the insurer to inquire because there are multiple interpretations of the same text.
While I agree that a call to the insurer is in order, most of the covered perils would not involve cancellation by the carrier. Even the "severe weather" peril is defined as, "Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a covered trip." (Emphasis added.)

And, of course, if an airline cancelled a flight -- for any reason -- the passenger should be an entitled to a refund of the airfare from the carrier. (But travel insurance would still be needed to get reimbursement for any prepaid, non-refundable accommodations and ground transportation.)

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 15, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:50 am

I'm in the same boat, I wish I could cancel my trip because we're broken-hearted. The situation is so sad... not only in Paris but the sadness is felt all over the world.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:03 am
zxd

Originally Posted by boboqui
I'm in the same boat, I wish I could cancel my trip because we're broken-hearted. The situation is so sad... not only in Paris but the sadness is felt all over the world.
Yes, me too. I'm not there but heart-broken -- can't imagine what people in Paris feel like.

I filed a claim on Sunday, they told me I would receive an e-mail 2 days after, so today I should receive an e-mail. They did not tell me clearly on the phone whether it would be an acceptable claim or not -- the flight is next week.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:07 am

Any updates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.