Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chase trip Cancellation Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chase trip Cancellation Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
http://www.tripinsurance.com/tips/te...re-you-covered
https://www.squaremouth.com/travel-i...fits/terrorism
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Never Trust the insurer to abide by T&C

Originally Posted by zxd
Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:
• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion
• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip
• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your Domestic Partner
• A terrorist action or hijacking
• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither of which can be postponed or waived
• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be uninhabitable
• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons
• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier whose services you booked
Last year we booked a 'bucket list' cruise to Luxor, Egypt thru the Suez Canal then down the Red Sea, thru the Straits of Aden and on to DuBai...
Insured thru Chase and a 'Travel' insurer..
Ship took on fuel in Hurgada Egypt prior to our transit thru the Staits of Aden...which turned out to be 'tainted' Which stalled our propulsion engines...possibly intended to foul our engines as we transited the straits...and disable us in a prime area known for hijacking. We later learned that the previous ship
Owners suffered exactly that faith several years ago...
Due to heroic efforts by ships crew we drifted/motored to the coast of Oman. Ship was towed into the port of Duqm where we were then endured 13 hours on a bus with no toilet facilities...
Both Chase and supplemental insurance refused to reimburse our loss of hotel and reissued air tickets due to failure to arrive @ destination.
I am still fighting with them to this day. They refuse to compensate for costs, refuting my claims for housing no longer 'habitable' we slept on deck due to no air or use of facilities...
BEWARE of promises made by Chase insurers as well as others. .
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All you need to do is file a claim against the insurer (it's not Chase) in SCC (if your loss is either within or close to SCC limits). Most states provide for triple damages for wrongfully denied claims.

Some states' insurance commissioners also have mediation programs which may get to the bottom of this quickly.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:56 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Per-dollar valuation of Chase travel insurance

Hey all,

This one might be hard to get a definitive answer on, but will undoubtedly lead to interesting discussion.

For many of us, we're faced with the choice of booking airline tickets either on the Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), or on the Amex Premier Rewards Gold (PRG). Per dollar, the PRG earns 3 MR points. The CSP earns 2 UR points, + includes free trip cancellation and trip delay insurance.

I fly mostly United, so trip delay and cancellation issues are not entirely infrequent. Yet—I'm attracted to the higher earning power of the PRG. How would you value the CSP's insurance, on a per-dollar basis?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:07 pm

I would use CSP if it were a trip where being delayed/cancelled was going to cost me a decent amount out of pocket... ie. need a hotel night.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:14 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I use Citi Prestige, which gets 3x *and* has trip protection. Plus, their trip delay insurance kicks in after only 3 hours. (unlike CSP though it doesn't apply to award tickets)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:45 am

I do hear the paperwork for the Citi Prestige is more of a hassle than for the chase cards, though I haven't used it myself yet (I used it for a chase card, and it was pretty easy).
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:30 pm

CSP Cancellation Insurance question

Would appreciate people's opinions on this. I'll try and call Chase tomorrow to confirm, but figured I'd ask the knowledgeable people here.

For United award travel I used my Explorer card to cover the small amount due, to get the free checked bag. If I then use the CSP to pay for economy plus seats, would it then make the flights eligible for the cancellation insurance?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I think you get the same insurance from the UA card and the CSP, no?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:05 pm

You know what, didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out!

Originally Posted by helvetic
I think you get the same insurance from the UA card and the CSP, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.