Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Would Chase relationship help with a new card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I am in urgent need of some UR points, but the only card I have with Chase at this point is Ink Bold.
Both wife and I have had and closed CSPs, and would be eligible for them again, if it weren't for Chase's new policy. Neither one would pass Chase's # of new apps test.

However, I have had a 15-year relationship with Chase, both business and personal, and it's not unusual for me to have $100K+ in checking accounts.

I've had other products with them over the last couple of years, like LOCs, installment loans, and so on.

Does any of that make a difference, or are the rules hard and fast?
Would applying in branch help?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
The general thought here is that checking and savings accounts at Chase don't help if you MS. In fact, some people believe that people with Chase checking and savings accounts are more prone to account closure. See this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ount-s-64.html

I have a mortgage with Chase, and they have been generous with credit card approvals for me. Don't know for sure if that makes a difference or not. I do not have a checking or savings account with Chase, though.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:25 am
RNE

Originally Posted by stevento
Does any of that make a difference, or are the rules hard and fast? Would applying in branch help?
The "rules" are not rules at all. So no, they're not hard and fast. Your good relationship with Chase is a factor, though one you may have to point out either in-person at a branch or over the phone during reconsideration. Pain in the butt? Sure. But the threads are rife with examples of people who talked they way into new cards. Do these anecdotes mean it's likely you'll succeed? No. But they prove it's possible! And what do you have to lose, other than a measly and short-lived 3-5 point hit on your stellar FICO. Your decision seems simple to me.

RNE, please let the community know how it goes.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:35 pm

I was just approved for an Ink Plus and a CSP after going through the branch for my application. I have a business checking account and do think my relationship there helped. Both applications were received on the same day and were pending for 3 days before my business banker called to let me know they were both approved. Prior to those cards, I had 4 personal Chase cards (BA, UA, SW and Freedom) and one Chase Business card (SW). I had opened 4 new cards in the last 12 months and another 3 in the 12 months before that.

Maybe the lack of UR cards helped, I've never had CSP or Ink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.