Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

can you cancel a Chase credit card without calling??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:59 am
Original Poster

i.e. can you cancel a Chase credit card via Secure Message?

I already have two chase card, so I think I may have to cancel one and wait for a few weeks or months before getting another Chase card.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
i.e. can you cancel a Chase credit card via Secure Message?

I already have two chase card, so I think I may have to cancel one and wait for a few weeks or months before getting another Chase card.
Yes. I canceled a card via secure message just 2 weeks ago.

(You didn't ask about the number of cards, but I had 5 personal Chase cards when my last new one was approved in January. Others have posted they hold more Chase cards than that at one time. That is a YMMV situation, but closing a card may not be necessary just to obtain a 3rd card.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Two Chase cards is not a big deal. I have five personal plus a business card. If there is no annual fee just leave them open to help your average account age and overall utilization. Some will also generate 0% offers with only a 2% BT fee which can be a nice savings if you have higher interest debt.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Its better for you to keep it open in the sake of account length. Why don't you just do a product change to the freedom which has no fee...this method also allows you to get multiple freedom cards for which you can do the 5x spend category at 1500 on each card
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pstravels
Its better for you to keep it open in the sake of account length. Why don't you just do a product change to the freedom which has no fee...this method also allows you to get multiple freedom cards for which you can do the 5x spend category at 1500 on each card
I am just worried that having two cards might lower the chance of getting a new card... United card just launches a new 50K bonus (my last bonus was more than 24months ago), so there is a good chance I get another United card before the offer ends in june.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by pstravels
Its better for you to keep it open in the sake of account length.
AAoA is not immediately impacted by account closure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.