Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Chase BA credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Changes to Chase BA credit card

As of April 30th:

British Airways purchases: 2.50 avios/$ --> 3.00 avios/$
Other purchases: 1.25 avios/$ --> 1.00 avios/$

I am quite annoyed by that since my British Airways card was used for MS.
Plus the fact that Chase changes the terms and conditions after I paid the annual fee (of course...).

Not happy!

Last edited by Minos; Mar 16, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Explorist, BA Bronze, BW Diamond Elite
Yes, I got that in the mail today as well. I think I'm going to cancel this card now. No reason to keep it as you no longer get any kind of bonus (except for actual BA expenses).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase is still advertising 1.25 points per dollar for general spending:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...1&SP4R=Y71UH0&

Cardmembers earn 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.*
I believe Chase would need to keep this reward structure in place for 12 months after a new account is opened. How recently did you open your accounts?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:21 am

Wow....now you may as well use a UR earning card for non-bonus spend, as you can transfer to BA at the same 1:1 ratio and you keep some flexibility until you need to use. Even before this, I thought that it made more sense to use an AMEX for non-bonus spend if you really want Avios as the frequent transfer bonuses usually exceed the 1.25:1 you get on the BA Card itself.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by mnCO
Wow....now you may as well use a UR earning card for non-bonus spend...
All along you have been able to earn 1.25 points per dollar with an American Express Starwood Preferred Guest credit card ($20,000 = 20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 Avois.) The primary reason to use the Chase card has alway been the companion voucher. If you do not earn or use the voucher, no reason to keep this card.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Availability has dried up for the companion voucher. Without the 1.25 earning rate, it is time to cancel. Amex Everyday Preferred earns 1.5x on all spending. If you combine that with a 40% transfer bonus to BA which pops up with some regularity, then it is the clear choice over this card.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Valveking
Amex Everyday Preferred earns 1.5x on all spending.
Only if you have 30 transactions per month. Granted, that shouldn't be too hard, but it may be an issue for some people.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
I opened it 16th months ago during the 100,000 bonanza and paid the annual fee last December.

I am annoyed by them changing the rules of the game after I paid the annual fee. At least they could let you finish the year with the current earning rate. I guess they become airlines-ized.

Minos
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:59 pm

Yeah too bad. Like others here wife and I signed up during the 100k offer. I kept the cards for the elevated earnings rate and the companion voucher (which I do find value in but I realize many others don't). That said I really only need one, at best, per year so I'll be cancelling one card for sure. Between the BA devaluation and now this I may cancel both. Also it looks like I need to up my game before April 30th as I am trying to collect enough points for a trip in 2016 and I am pretty close.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 18, 2015 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking
Availability has dried up for the companion voucher.
The Chase travel together voucher is valid for any rewards seat so if it is available for points then it is available for voucher. Now if overall availability is bad then that is an issue but not with the voucher specifically.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:55 am

My wife and I opened this card only a few months ago, we have not received any letter in the mail about the changes, no notice on our recent credit card statements, and Chase is still advertising the 1.25 earning rate. Has anyone with a new account been notified that Chase will honor the 1.25 earning rate for the 1st year of having this card?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by CNMAZ
... Has anyone with a new account been notified that Chase will honor the 1.25 earning rate for the 1st year of having this card?
I don't believe Chase will make changes to the rewards program in the first 12 months an account is open, but it's unlikely they will send you a notice that they are "not" making a change. If you are concerned about it I would write to Customer Service and explain that a friend received a notice about a change to the rewards program, and ask if there will be any change to your account.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:45 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by mia
I don't believe Chase will make changes to the rewards program in the first 12 months an account is open, but it's unlikely they will send you a notice that they are "not" making a change. If you are concerned about it I would write to Customer Service and explain that a friend received a notice about a change to the rewards program, and ask if there will be any change to your account.
My BA Visa is also 3 months old, and so far I didn't receive a letter from Chase. Even in the last statement I see their "1.25" earning rate.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:36 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

10% off BA fares?

Is the 10% off fares purchased at ba.com (code CARDOFFERU) something BA will likely continue as it's not a baked-in card feature? That's about the only reason I could see keeping (or for me getting) this card...particularly when you have fares like the current JFK - CDG OW flights in J.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by mia

I sent a message through their website but I am still waiting for a reply from a couple days ago. I ended up calling their customer service department and they told me that all accounts are going to earn at the new reduced rate effective 04/30/15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.