Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Please help best use my points for a stay at the Park Hyatt Chicago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I need to book a room at the Park Hyatt Chicago between 1/29/15 and 1/31/15 and I’m not sure what method makes this the best value for me. Here are my options:

1. Pay cash and reimburse myself from points. I can do an advance purchase for $260/night in a “Park King” room. After taxes this would be $605.28 and it would yield me 1,210.56 Chase UR points and 3,026 Hyatt points. Since I conservatively value the points at $0.01/ea, this would be $562.91 cash equivalent for the stay.

2. Book through the Chase UR Travel Portal. They have a lot of different similar sounding rooms such as “DOUBLE KING SIZE BED - ROOM ONLY,” “DOUBLE PARK-KING - ROOM ONLY,” “Double King Size Bed/,” “1 king bed” and so on …. Takes 27,654 per night through 90,436 per night. I’m assuming that I’ll still earn Hyatt points on this stay and if I go with the lowest rate (though I don’t know what I’m getting). I’d have a cash equivalent of $522.82.

3. Transfer enough Chase UR points to Hyatt and book with points directly. This would be 25,000/night and I’m assuming no fees or extra charges. I don’t think I’ll earn any Hyatt points or Chase UR points so this would be $500.00 cash equivalent for the stay.

I think number three is the clear choice, but am I missing something under options 1 and 2 that would radically change the numbers?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by Lakee911; Dec 15, 2014 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
For starters, you should be valuing UR points at no less that 1.25 cents each, because that's what you can get by using them as cash through the UR portal. So if you're determined to use points, option 2 should be the winner, since 1 and 3 are only giving you about 1 cent/point each (a little better for 3). Personally, at that room rate I'd be paying cash and saving the points for a higher value redemption, but YMMV.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WrightHI
For starters, you should be valuing UR points at no less that 1.25 cents each, because that's what you can get by using them as cash through the UR portal. So if you're determined to use points, option 2 should be the winner, since 1 and 3 are only giving you about 1 cent/point each (a little better for 3). Personally, at that room rate I'd be paying cash and saving the points for a higher value redemption, but YMMV.
Thanks. The 1.25 is because of the 20% discount for purchase through the UR Travel portal?

How can I decipher the names/types of rooms for option 2?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
OP: Cross posting is not allowed. It spreads info out too much. Follow on Hyatt Forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.