Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

cancelling credit cards: lose points + mileage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Hi, there

I want to be specific on this questions.

Please gently answer, I appreciate.

1> If I cancel chase united, marriott credit card, then my mileage on united and hotel point on marriott will be disappear?

2> If I transfer my UR point from chase shappire to airline, then cancel my credit card, does my mileage will be disappear?

3> IF I transfer my shappire point to Freedom and cancel the shappire credit card, then my point still alive?

please answer

thank you

Sincerely!^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.

Think of the mileage like money in a bank account. If you have money in an account at Wells Fargo, then transfer it to an account at U.S. Bank and then close the Wells Fargo account, you still have the money.

Same thing for mileage. In your question 2, first you have UR points in the Chase Sapphire "bank account". You transfer those points to an airline. Now you have points in the airline "bank account". This is a completely different company and the points no longer have any relationship to Chase. You can now close the Chase Sapphire account with no affect to your airline points.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this isn't a Mileage Run query I've relocated it from the Mileage Run Discussion forum to the Information Desk.

Cheers,

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Wink hi, tcook052!

Hay,, sorry about that,, i was looking where to post this...

thanks!

Originally Posted by tcook052
As this isn't a Mileage Run query I've relocated it from the Mileage Run Discussion forum to the Information Desk.

Cheers,

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeckett
1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.

Think of the mileage like money in a bank account. If you have money in an account at Wells Fargo, then transfer it to an account at U.S. Bank and then close the Wells Fargo account, you still have the money.

Same thing for mileage. In your question 2, first you have UR points in the Chase Sapphire "bank account". You transfer those points to an airline. Now you have points in the airline "bank account". This is a completely different company and the points no longer have any relationship to Chase. You can now close the Chase Sapphire account with no affect to your airline points.
Hay, thank you for your answer.

however, i found a statement saying that

if I cancel credit card, my mileage will be expired on chasge united.

and i also read response from the million mileage secret blog, they said" the only mileage will disappear is that you haven'g gotten yet"..., is it right?

and for #3 you said " YES = expires" , but , does shappire and freedom is differnt account?.... I think it is not going to be expired.... have you tried?.....

Please answer

thank you

sincerely.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sandarap
and for #3 you said " YES = expires" , but , does shappire and freedom is differnt account?.... I think it is not going to be expired.... have you tried?......
Your question for #3 was

3> IF I transfer my shappire point to Freedom and cancel the shappire credit card, then my point still alive?

My answer is yes, your points are still alive.

For your question #1 about the Chase United card, I will change my answer to "I don't know", since I am not familiar with this specific card.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Your question for #3 was

My answer is yes, your points are still alive.

For your question #1 about the Chase United card, I will change my answer to "I don't know", since I am not familiar with this specific card.
Oh, i am sorry, my mistake

thanks for the answer.... um i need to have 100% sure answer since my point is important....
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since your questions all appear to relate to Chase credit cards, this thread has been moved to the dedicated Chase subforum of the Credit Card Programs forum where it will probably receive more knowledgable attention.

NOTE: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

Thanks all.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If your United or Marriott credit cards have been open for less than six months Chase might take back miles or points that you have already transferred, but after six months you can close the credit cards without losing miles or points which have already been transferred.

Why do you want to close the credit cards? What will you accomplish?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Oh, i am sorry, my mistake

thanks for the answer.... um i need to have 100% sure answer since my point is important....
On the Freedom I've did this months ago with no problem. I've closed my CSP and currently when I want to use points from Freedom I tranfer them to my Ink Bold. Both my wife and I have over 150k parked in our Freedom cards for future use. Most of it transfered from CSP before we closed them.
Have you tried getting Chase to waive annual fees? There's a whole thread on that if you are interested. No dice for my wife or myself on CSP, but good offer on the Ink Bold.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Jul 27, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If your United or Marriott credit cards have been open for less than six months Chase might take back miles or points that you have already transferred, but after six months you can close the credit cards without losing miles or points which have already been transferred.

Why do you want to close the credit cards? What will you accomplish?
hi, thanks for your answer

so you are saying " after six month, every card is fine?"

and once it transfered to united airline or hotel reward program,, how chase can take it out?... they are whole different company,,, isn't it?.... are you sure?....
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
On the Freedom I've did this months ago with no problem. I've closed my CSP and currently when I want to use points from Freedom I tranfer them to my Ink Bold. Both my wife and I have over 150k parked in our Freedom cards for future use. Most of it transfered from CSP before we closed them.
Have you tried getting Chase to waive annual fees? There's a whole thread on that if you are interested. No dice for my wife or myself on CSP, but good offer on the Ink Bold.
Hi, thank you for your answer..

what is CSP.??

so you are saying " before you close freedom, you transfered freedom point to ink bold and you have been using it and the point didn't disappear after you closed your freedom card?

is this what you are saying?.... please answer

thx
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
what is CSP.??

so you are saying " before you close freedom, you transfered freedom point to ink bold and you have been using it and the point didn't disappear after you closed your freedom card?
CSP = Chase Sapphire Preferred.

You can use any UR card to "store" your UR points. They don't expire. You just have to be careful not to close a UR card with UR points still attached to it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Hi, thank you for your answer..

what is CSP.??

is this what you are saying?.... please answer

thx
I closed my Chase Saphire Preferred. When I did that I transfered all my points to my Freedom card. When I want to use them I transfer to Ink Bold because Freedom can't be used for Airlines or hotels. Freedom is just where I hold them.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I closed my Chase Saphire Preferred. When I did that I transfered all my points to my Freedom card. When I want to use them I transfer to Ink Bold because Freedom can't be used for Airlines or hotels. Freedom is just where I hold them.
Oh, thanks for the answer.

i got it now,,,

"Hold point/miles for free!! with annual free card" that is the point!

Does that also work with AMEX card?

right now, i have a AMEX gold,, and if i open a annual free amex card, then

does the amex point will alive after i cancel my amex gold?,,,,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.