Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase sapphire trip cancellation due to pregnancy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a trip for December this year (6 months from now), and flight tickets seem reasonable now, so we're ready to book. The catch is that we're also trying to start a family and I'm worried that, should we discover that we're pregnant in the next 6 months, will I be able to get my tickets reimbursed using the Chase sapphire trip cancellation insurance? I could get a doctor's certificate saying I'm pregnant and travel is not advised, but I couldn't find anything in their T&C saying does or does not count as "sickness". Has anyone here gone through this?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:17 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
why not just pick one or the other instead of going for double trouble?

it seems you're unsure of both the things. so you may just have to decide what you actually want in the next 6 months before taking the next step.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ps376
Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a trip for December this year (6 months from now), and flight tickets seem reasonable now, so we're ready to book. The catch is that we're also trying to start a family and I'm worried that, should we discover that we're pregnant in the next 6 months, will I be able to get my tickets reimbursed using the Chase sapphire trip cancellation insurance? I could get a doctor's certificate saying I'm pregnant and travel is not advised, but I couldn't find anything in their T&C saying does or does not count as "sickness". Has anyone here gone through this?
My wife was pregnant on our last cruise, 4 months along.
Book the trip.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Not really fair to expect insurance to cover you for something you have complete control of.

Why do you think insurance rates are so high?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
You do NOT have complete control on when you get pregnant - all you can do is try and hope it works.

My suggestion is to ask Chase - then you know for sure. Here in the Netherlands, pregnancy is covered in trip insurance, but only if you are not pregnant at the time of booking.

Hope you get to enjoy both the trip and your pregnancy!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by KrnGrs
You do NOT have complete control on when you get pregnant - all you can do is try and hope it works.

My suggestion is to ask Chase - then you know for sure. Here in the Netherlands, pregnancy is covered in trip insurance, but only if you are not pregnant at the time of booking.

Hope you get to enjoy both the trip and your pregnancy!
You certainly do have complete control in terms of NOT getting pregnant.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:47 pm

Unless there are complications, why would a doctor advise against travel while pregnant? It's not like you will be in your last trimester?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Another idea would be to convert to airline miles and redeem as a ff award. Those tickets can often be changed at no cost within a year of ticketing.

Otherwise, there are a lot of trade offs we make in life. If you don't want to travel if you are pregnant, or it is a high risk pregnancy, maybe you should consider buying refundable tickets or postponing the trip.

From the way you are phrasing post #1, it sounds like you ultimately know it is a decision of trying for the pregnancy vs taking the trip. Pick the option that means more to you and make the decision accordingly.

Does SWA still have a no change fee policy? Haven't flown them in years.

Take care.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, travel insurance does not cover pregnancy.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all,

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Not really fair to expect insurance to cover you for something you have complete control of.

Why do you think insurance rates are so high?
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Unless there are complications, why would a doctor advise against travel while pregnant? It's not like you will be in your last trimester?
Ding Ding...

Wonder why would a doctor be willingly to do that when there is no such needs, and knowingly committing conspiracy to default the insurance company?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-...ta-has-to-say/

I am including this link to show that 6 months in advance might not be the best time to buy the ticket anyway. If you wait closer to departure, you may get a lower fare. And you will have a better idea if you are pregnant or not.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:16 pm

I cancelled award trips on both UA and AA last year for health reasons. UA wanted doctor's note, while AA took my word. UA has policy to charge $50 processing fee up-front whether request is granted or not.

Both requests were approved, with miles and fees refunded, net of UA fee of course. I think most doctors will go along with reasonable patient request if patient doesn't feel he/she is healthy enough to fly.

Getting airlines ok obviates need for Chase insurance to kick in, other than for UA fee. It should be noted that I think you get one trip to the buffet on this, and subsequent requests would get big scrutiny, if considered at all.

Read the T and Cs for the insurance and for the airlines policies on this. Others' opinions on how to live your life won't impact refunds, nor much else.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I cancelled award trips on both UA and AA last year for health reasons. UA wanted doctor's note, while AA took my word. UA has policy to charge $50 processing fee up-front whether request is granted or not.

Both requests were approved, with miles and fees refunded, net of UA fee of course. I think most doctors will go along with reasonable patient request if patient doesn't feel he/she is healthy enough to fly.

Getting airlines ok obviates need for Chase insurance to kick in, other than for UA fee. It should be noted that I think you get one trip to the buffet on this, and subsequent requests would get big scrutiny, if considered at all.

Read the T and Cs for the insurance and for the airlines policies on this. Others' opinions on how to live your life won't impact refunds, nor much else.
Your examples do not apply here. OP is considering BUYING tickets with her CSP card and hope the card's Trip Cancellation insurance benefit would cover the "sickness" in case she would have 6 months down the road.

It is a totally different situation from your experiences on award tickets which is a straight forward matter of redepositing miles and refund taxes - in this case assuming both airlines did not charge you the re-deposit fees but UA did charge a $50 processing fee.

For Pay tickets even bought thru 3rd parties such as Expedia, in the CO days, the agents were really helpful to waive change fee without actually needed doc's paper to fax in, but given the doc's name, telephone number, office location. They would cancel the ticket and note the change fee be waived next time when the passenger use the canceled ticket value (new itinerary must be finished within 12 months from the ticket being issued of course).

OP's own purchased ticket could most likely be handled this way. UA would be more lenient than AA which is known NOT to waive change fee for illness but would in the case of death in the family. Her husband's ticket? A very gray area.

Hi all,

Last edited by Happy; Jul 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! Looks like I have some thinking to do :-)
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:43 pm

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! Looks like I have some thinking to do :-)
I wish you luck whichever way you choose.

If you decide to buy the tickets and attempt to cancel them later upon the event of a pregnancy, please update the status of that request in this thread for posterity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.