Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Buying cell phone/startup costs of new agreement doesn't count for Ink 5X bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying cell phone/startup costs of new agreement doesn't count for Ink 5X bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt

i went to a local store and bought phones and prepaid services, hoping to get some good chunk of points. however, i was very disappointed to find out that those purchases didn't qualify for 5 points.

here is the response from chase:

Upon review, I confirm that the charges from Verizon did
not qualify for the bonus points as the merchant is listed
as 'Telecommunication Equipment including Telephone
Sales'.

oh, well.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:47 pm
wcj

Earn 5X points per $1 on the first $50,000 spent annually at office supply stores, and on cellular phone, landline, internet, and cable TV services.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:38 pm

Why wouldn't it qualify as 'cellular phone' category I did an in store purchase at AT&T last week because I thought it would post under 'cellular phone' for the bonus. Will cross fingers and wait...
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I paid off a closed (Early Term Fee) Sprint cell phone - in the store - and got the 5x in this statement that closed on 7/10.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:57 am

I also remember reading something in the terms to the effect of "excludes equipment sales".
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:55 am

If you are already an existing Verizon Wireless customer, you can bill equipment purchases to your Verizon account.

You can then use your Ink card to pay your Verizon account bill, this way you will get 5x on it.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
If you are already an existing Verizon Wireless customer, you can bill equipment purchases to your Verizon account.

You can then use your Ink card to pay your Verizon account bill, this way you will get 5x on it.
Ragnarok, you do know that your name is the same as a popular map on Halo 4?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
where do i find how many points each transaction earned?
I only see "reward summary" on ultimaterewards.chase.com

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by augustus21
Ragnarok, you do know that your name is the same as a popular map on Halo 4?
lmao, i thought i was the only one on FT that knew this. Maybe there are more Halo nerds on FT then I thought!

Although I must add I still call it Valhalla.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:23 am

And to the OP, only services count as 5x. Buying phones/products at the store shouldn't count, anything charged at the store shouldn't count (the store is coded something else). However if you buy a phone through the store online, it MAY code as a phone service.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
What happens if someone pays their service bill in store, is it given a merchant code of service or equipment sales? I don't personally pay in store, but a significant portion of the country does, so I've got to imagine the situation comes up.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
... a significant portion of the country does,
I wouldn't think that a significant portion of businesses pay their cellphone bills at a store.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mia
I wouldn't think that a significant portion of businesses pay their cellphone bills at a store.
They don't.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
They don't.
You'd be surprised then. I used to work for a company that hired one of the regional vice presidents of sales away from Sprint, mainly for his knowledge in self serve kiosks and their uses. The busier branches prior to the recession would do upwards of $25k+ in business payments a day in store. I have no idea what the split was between cash versus credit card use for in store payments.

And I never said majority of businesses, I said significant. Just like their are still a significant number of mom and pop, cash intensive businesses left in this country.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
You'd be surprised .
Thank you. I learn the most when I am wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.