Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Converting from United Mileage Plus Select to Explorer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting from United Mileage Plus Select to Explorer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Lore
I'm curious about this too. I just got approved for the Explorer card (with the Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer), but I also have the Chase MileagePlus Select card which I've had for many years. Now it's time for me to decide if I should cancel the Select. From what I could see, the Select card is better due to its mileage earning categories, but the Explorer card is way better when it comes to card benefits (no foreign transaction fees, price protection, trip cancellation, delay/interruption).

I looked at my 2015 spend categories for the Select card and my spending of $10k is roughly split into:
Travel 2-3 miles/$ (48% -- however this is mostly on *A carriers)
Restaurants, 2 miles/$ (28%)
Shopping (24%)
My spending for automotive and grocery is negligible.

Based on this, with the Explorer card, I'd lose out on a lot of the miles related to purchasing tickets and restaurants. I earned about 15200 miles in those categories last year, and with the Explorer card I'd only earn half that.

Now that I have both cards, I'd only use the Select for restaurants going forward since putting airline tickets is better on the MPE for the travel insurance despite the reduced mileage earnings. Using 2015 as a benchmark, is 4600 + 5000 anniversary miles worth $95?
10000 miles not worth $95 for me. I can "make" 10000 by buying $5000 in visa gift cards at a grocery store and earning 10000 miles because Select is 2x there. At $5.95 that's $59.50. Buy $5000 in money orders for another $7 in fees and you're done @$66.50. Keep Select card and you can work this all year, for example 50000 miles will cost you $332.50 and get you 1 regular or 2 saver UA award tickets. There are ways to do this for even less but this is one of the easier ways and why I like Select (not to mention the PQM).
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by weezl
10000 miles not worth $95 for me. I can "make" 10000 by buying $5000 in visa gift cards at a grocery store and earning 10000 miles because Select is 2x there. At $5.95 that's $59.50. Buy $5000 in money orders for another $7 in fees and you're done @$66.50. Keep Select card and you can work this all year, for example 50000 miles will cost you $332.50 and get you 1 regular or 2 saver UA award tickets. There are ways to do this for even less but this is one of the easier ways and why I like Select (not to mention the PQM).
Interesting, thanks for your answer!

My question about whether "4600+5000 miles was worth $95" was actually in regards to the Select card as, based on my spending history, that's the mileage that I would forego by if I went with the MPE.

However, based on your answer, it seems like you prefer the Select despite it not having the Visa Signature benefits that the MPE has. Do you have a different card that you prefer using with those benefits?

By the way, how are you able to buy money orders without incurring cash advance fees+interest?

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2016 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Lore
Interesting, thanks for your answer!

My question about whether "4600+5000 miles was worth $95" was actually in regards to the Select card as, based on my spending history, that's the mileage that I would forego by if I went with the MPE.

However, based on your answer, it seems like you prefer the Select despite it not having the Visa Signature benefits that the MPE has. Do you have a different card that you prefer using with those benefits?

By the way, how are you able to buy money orders without incurring cash advance fees+interest?
Yes misguided reply . I do believe the AF for the Select card is worth it. I'm a UA 1k and get something like $30 refunded for the AF because of that, so it's an even better deal.

The INK card is good for primary car rental insurance but only if you are renting while on business. Citi premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred have good trip interruption coverage. Barclay AA is good for primary car rental insurance if you are NOT renting while on business.

I have all 3 but will cancel all but the Select when the AF comes due unless they waive it or offer a retention bonus.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please direct your further inquiries on this topic to the mega threads already active in the forum. We have active threads going on the Mileage Plus family of cards; Applying for Chase cards; keep, downgrade or cancelling cards; and car rental insurance. You will find in-depth discussion on these topics in the appropriate threads. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.