Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:43 pm

Here's the math that I'm looking at.

First premise is that I have to maintain a United card in order to have access to better saver inventory (in case I don't requalify for silver) and a tool to hit $25k and get PQD waiver

So $450 vs $95
$355 in extra cost. To me lounge access is negligible I only care when I use Lufthansa lounges in FRA or MUC. Other euro hubs that I favor like ZRH have PP lounges. Plus, LH won't let me guest more than one.

The other differential is extra earn. I value UA at 2.4c minimum so the extra half a point by on $25k is worth $300.
However, Explorer bonuses 10k once you hit $25k of spend per calendar year and this year my spend on club card won't be above the bare minimum maintenance of $25k.

So at $25k club gets me 37.5k vs 35k on Explorer. Only 2500 miles, which can be earned easily with one hertz rental or a shopping portal promo. But still, i will give it a $60 value. I've used the closein waiver at lest for times thus far ytz and see myself using this twice per year MINIMUM.

So:
$140 closein benefit (likely more)
$60 extra miles earned (more if I spend beyond $25k)
$40 i would pay this much for access to premier desk

= $240 minimum benefit.

This leaves $115 unmet difference for me. So a $100 retention offer fills that gap the gap would prob be smaller if I put value on lounge access but I don't. (I have Amex plat, CSR, Ritz and Prestige, all with PP. )

Again the main value driver has been the close in waiver fees. Family work schedules etc make it hard to plan trips months in advance. So the 2x close in waiver instance is a low ball.

Am I missing anything ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
People use this card in different ways. I mainly use it to access lounges, especially partner lounges. Most of us would agree that united clubs within US are pathetic,. outside US are not that bad. I use my miles exclusiVely for upgrade to transpacific business cabin.
after some thinking, I might just bargain year over year for retention offers.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
As a DP, I was able to get the first year waived for this today using this link:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/ClubAFW
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:28 am

Can I Get The United Club Card Fee Waived Twice

Got the United MileagePlus Business Club Card with the 1st Year Annual Fee Waived 14 months ago through a link on my United Mileage Plus Account. I canceled the card in May because I didn't want to pay the $450 Fee.

I now notice that I have a link in my Mileage Plus account to obtain the United MileagePlus Business Club Card with the 1st Year $450 Annual Fee waived again.

I don't want to take a hard credit card pull if I can't get the card a second time.

Does anyone have any experience as to whether the card can be approved two years in a row with the first year waived. I didn't read anything in the terms and conditions that discusses or prohibits this scenario. I don't have a 5/24 problem
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Skymiles
TSA PreCheck Application Fee Reimbursement

I hope someone here can help me (or at least convince me that I am not losing my mind). Last year, when I had Silver status on United, I took advantage of an offer to get the United Club Card with the first year's membership fee waived for Mileage Plus Premier members. I am absolutely certain that when I signed up for the card, among the benefits was a statement credit to reimburse the fee for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry.

I finally got around to signing up for TSA PreCheck in May; the fee posted to my card in June; there was no statement credit. I phoned Chase customer service and was told that a credit for TSA PreCheck is not a benefit for the Club Card. And I now see no reference to that benefit online or in the membership materials that I was mailed.

However, I know I saw that benefit listed multiple times online before I applied for TSA PreCheck. Am I losing my mind? Was there a change in the benefits associated with the United Club Card (in which case I will complain to Chase)? Or was it, perhaps, a benefit that United would provide, but only while I maintained my Premier status (which has since lapsed)?

Any information would be appreciated!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by Mark Ambrose
... a benefit that United would provide, but only while I maintained my Premier status (which has since lapsed)?
Welcome to Flyertalk. I moved your question into the Club card thread. I find no indication that this was ever a benefit of the card.

You may find this short thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ck-credit.html

...and perhaps also this longer one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-2017-a.html
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Mark Ambrose
I hope someone here can help me (or at least convince me that I am not losing my mind). Last year, when I had Silver status on United, I took advantage of an offer to get the United Club Card with the first year's membership fee waived for Mileage Plus Premier members. I am absolutely certain that when I signed up for the card, among the benefits was a statement credit to reimburse the fee for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry.

I finally got around to signing up for TSA PreCheck in May; the fee posted to my card in June; there was no statement credit. I phoned Chase customer service and was told that a credit for TSA PreCheck is not a benefit for the Club Card. And I now see no reference to that benefit online or in the membership materials that I was mailed.

However, I know I saw that benefit listed multiple times online before I applied for TSA PreCheck. Am I losing my mind? Was there a change in the benefits associated with the United Club Card (in which case I will complain to Chase)? Or was it, perhaps, a benefit that United would provide, but only while I maintained my Premier status (which has since lapsed)?

Any information would be appreciated!
I have held the same Club card for years. I thought it was a benefit years ago but has long been dropped. I think some of the AmEx cards still offer this but I don't hold any AmEx cards so not sure.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
card approved but still waiting for membership card-entry req?

So, I have activated chase club card this morning. Is it possible to use it in the united club even though my club membership cars has not arrived. Could they look it up by my mileage number and see I have membership?

Anyone had any experiences to enter just with visa mileage club card?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by felicidad76
So, I have activated chase club card this morning. Is it possible to use it in the united club even though my club membership cars has not arrived. Could they look it up by my mileage number and see I have membership?

Anyone had any experiences to enter just with visa mileage club card?

Thanks
... I've heard that you can use the digital card to get into United clubs. It should show up in your United app sometime after approval.

Last edited by mia; Aug 27, 2017 at 10:42 am Reason: Remove first sentence after posts transferred to correct thread.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:50 am

Did anyone successfully got the United Club card a second time fee waived?

Canceled my card two month ago and offer with $450 waived is showing up again in my profile. Also business card is available with fee waiver.

Not sure though if that would work.

Last edited by Tazmania; Sep 28, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:29 am

I don’t foresee “needing” this card until next summer. What do you think about downgrading this to explorer (or a no af united card) and then reupgrading it next year when needed? Is this doable or does chase have some rule against re-upgrading the product within a time period or ever ? Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:13 pm

New public offer for this card: 50,000 miles after $3000 in the first three months.

Could be useful depending on how you value 50,000 miles ($500 at $0.01/mile to up to $1000 at $0.02/mile) vs the first year free($450).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
New public offer for this card: 50,000 miles after $3000 in the first three months.

Could be useful depending on how you value 50,000 miles ($500 at $0.01/mile to up to $1000 at $0.02/mile) vs the first year free($450).
Does it make sense to downgrade our card immediately and apply for this offer?
Rather than just paying the $450 af coming due
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
I have had the Chase United Club Card for years. I have tried to get my Hertz Gold membership upgraded to Hertz Presidents Circle based on the T/C with no success using the link on the United site. I have called Chase and they said it was a United problem United clames that it is a Hertz problem.
Here is the link: united.com/HertzChaseBenefit
Thanks in advance for everyone help and advice.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by ylord789
People use this card in different ways. I mainly use it to access lounges, especially partner lounges. Most of us would agree that united clubs within US are pathetic,. outside US are not that bad. I use my miles exclusiVely for upgrade to transpacific business cabin.
after some thinking, I might just bargain year over year for retention offers.
Does this offer lounge access that you don't already get with MP and *A Gold?

Trying to see the benefits over what you already get with MP Gold.

Free checked bags, waiver of some award change fees, some upgrades which would otherwise not be available to MP Gold?

So among these, the upgrades sound interesting but I'm guessing it just moves you a little higher in the queue, but not ahead of 1K elites, who also have difficulty getting CPUs out of hubs like SFO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.