Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Capital Venture One

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Capital Venture One

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Yeah, I guess where I keep getting stuck is trying to model out whether 1.25% back year round would end up being a better yield than 1% year round + some 5% bonuses. I've applied their reward rates to what I currently spend and the Freedom yields more with the 2012 categories, but who knows what the bonuses will be in 2013? I guess theoretically they'd have to include SOMETHING I can benefit from, I just don't spend on gas or things like movies so the bonus categories could prove less than thrilling.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:59 pm

Capital One Venture vs Sapphire Preferred

how is this not a no-brainer choice?

Everyone seems to love the chase sapphire preferred cards because of the flexibility with UR points.

Great

Except Capital one venture card gives you 2pts per dollar spent on anything (sapphire preferred only on travel and dining)

Capital One Venture is $59/yr while Chase Sapphire preferred is $95/yr

Capital one I can shop for travel anywhere...even priceline and get the best deal and then pay myself back after I make the purchase. This is HUGE if you use hotwire or priceline for any sort of travel purchases.

With Chase Sapphire preferred you have to book via UR to get the measly .0125 return on your dollar. Makes no sense to me as I can save more money (at least .02 per dollar min) booking with whoever has the best deal and not be forced to use UR.

Why would anyone use the Chase Saphire preferred over the Capital One Venture?

What am I missing here? Please correct my thinking where I am wrong.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Gold, EK
I don't have the Sapphire Preferred, but I think the advantage is the ability to covert UR points to miles, where the value you get can be much higher than .0125/point, especially if you redeem for international flights and in premium cabins.

You also have the ability to earn bonus points through the UR Mall which can then be converted into miles.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, AS MVPG, AR PLT,SPG GOLD
The citi Ty premier card would be a better comparison. If you purchase enough airfare and have enough flight points every purchase will be 2+ Ty points. Along with some other products which give you 5 Ty points . I have all three and the premier card is my favorite. Along with other travel benefits.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by YMCMB
I don't have the Sapphire Preferred, but I think the advantage is the ability to covert UR points to miles, where the value you get can be much higher than .0125/point, especially if you redeem for international flights and in premium cabins.

You also have the ability to earn bonus points through the UR Mall which can then be converted into miles.
^ I think Sapphire Preferred is indispensable for international travel as the points conversions have always been great for me. Customer service has been pretty good as well. Just my $.02..
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Looking only at the redemption value of a point is misleading. Sapphire Preferred earns more than one point per dollar in several categories, and there an annual 7% bonus. However, the ability to convert Ultimate Rewards points to miles is the decisive factor if you redeem for expensive tickets,

If you generally redeem for economy class tickts you would do better with this new card from Bank of America:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l-credits.html

The highest return for an economy class flyer is Citibank's ThankYou points using a Premier card. This will return a minimum of 2.66%, provided you travel enough to generate sufficient Flight Points to match the points earned by spending, and you take the time to understand the rules. You must redeem through Citi's agency, and should accept that they tinker with the program every couple years. If you add a Citi Forward card you can accumulate points faster, but those points will not be matched by Flight Points.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:59 pm

For many, the transfer partners are what keep us interested. Given the recent capacity controls and jet fuel price fluctuations, the price of purchased tickets have risen more than a ticket purchased with miles in most cases.

1 route that I take, the paid fare for Y is up 19% y-o-y whereas the miles required for that same trip is unchanged. Although there is something to be said for purchasing a ticket and getting a statement credit as you'll bank those miles which makes re-qualifying that much easier.

Another reason why I like the UR program is the ability to transfer my Freedom points over to my Sapphire preferred. Thus, this quarter I earn 5% (up to $1500) on groceries and movie theates, 2% on travel/dining, and 1% on everything else less the dividend. Next quarter, I'll earn 5% on gas/dining (up to $1500), 2% on any dining after that amount as well as travel, and 1% on everything else less the dividend.

This requires that one have a Freedom to go along with their Sapphire but even without it, there remains a good enough reason to have the Sapphire based on the aforementioned reasons.

I don't have a Venture but when I looked at the numbers 2 years ago, I didn't see the need for it at the time. However, now with the Schwab card gone, things could be different although I doubt it. If the Venture works for your situation, that's all that matters.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by wallofiron
how is this not a no-brainer choice?

Everyone seems to love the chase sapphire preferred cards because of the flexibility with UR points.

Great

Except Capital one venture card gives you 2pts per dollar spent on anything (sapphire preferred only on travel and dining)

Capital One Venture is $59/yr while Chase Sapphire preferred is $95/yr

Capital one I can shop for travel anywhere...even priceline and get the best deal and then pay myself back after I make the purchase. This is HUGE if you use hotwire or priceline for any sort of travel purchases.

With Chase Sapphire preferred you have to book via UR to get the measly .0125 return on your dollar. Makes no sense to me as I can save more money (at least .02 per dollar min) booking with whoever has the best deal and not be forced to use UR.

Why would anyone use the Chase Saphire preferred over the Capital One Venture?

What am I missing here? Please correct my thinking where I am wrong.

When looking at Chase UR points for their value when kept as Chase UR points, you are right, it is a no brainer. They are not worth as much as Cap 1 points, because they are 1.25 cents per point.

However, the big value comes with transferring them. You can transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to United, Hyatt, British Airways, Southwest, Marriott, Ritz Carlton, Korean Air.

If you transfer them to United miles, for example, you can get some amazing value. When I redeem for airfare, I'm typically getting 2.0-3.0 cents per mile by using stopovers and open jaws, which allow me to put itineraries together using miles that would cost thousands of dollars if I tried to buy the ticket outright.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by civico
When looking at Chase UR points for their value when kept as Chase UR points, you are right, it is a no brainer. They are not worth as much as Cap 1 points, because they are 1.25 cents per point.

However, the big value comes with transferring them. You can transfer them at a 1:1 ratio to United, Hyatt, British Airways, Southwest, Marriott, Ritz Carlton, Korean Air.

If you transfer them to United miles, for example, you can get some amazing value. When I redeem for airfare, I'm typically getting 2.0-3.0 cents per mile by using stopovers and open jaws, which allow me to put itineraries together using miles that would cost thousands of dollars if I tried to buy the ticket outright.
thanks all for the great info

Last edited by wallofiron; Jun 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:02 pm
inY

Assuming you're willing to get a BoA checking account, the recently-launched Bank of America cards are better than Venture in terms of returns. If you spend less than $13,636/yr on the card, go for the no annual fee version. If you spend more, go for the $75 fee version.

Venture $59 vs BoA $0 annual fee. 2% versus 1.65% assuming a BoA checking account. 59/(.02-.0165) = $16857.14. So, Venture is better if you will spend >$16857.14/year on that card. But...

Venture $59 versus BoA $75 annual fee. 2% versus 2.2% assuming a BoA checking account. (59-75)/(.02-.022) = $8000. So, Bank of America is better than Venture if you will spend >$8000/year on that card.

Finally, compare the two BoA cards: 75/(.022-.0165) = 13636.36.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have an even different perspective. My actual spend on credit cards is about $40K per year. If I put it all on my Fidelity card at 2% cash back, I would get $800 a year. I don't think that in the long run I would notice an extra $800, even accumulated year to year.

OTOH, I notice my points balance, and the credit card signup bonuses and everything, and if I can look at my wife and say "Hey, when you make your annual trip to Europe I have you booked in business class" - that IS something I will notice. Or when I take that RTW trip, it IS something I will notice.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
The ability to transfer UR points into UA miles is the critical factor for me. Between the bonuses for the UA card and Sapphire Preferred card, as well as some miles I earned from actual flying, I was able to put together a terrific itinerary in F and C, IAH-ORD-HKG-BKK/SIN-DXB-DOH-IAH. I leave in five days!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
I asked here a few months ago about cash back vs miles. A few days ago, using miles I booked a business class flight to the end of the world that would have cost more than $7,000 in cash. For the time being, I am not going to look on cash back. However, I had to learn A LOT about the mileage game and spent quite a while on FT. Using miles in a good way can be quite the headache. Many people prefer the simplicity and no-hassle of cash in hand and for this purpose capital one venture is probably better.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by apk123
... Many people prefer the simplicity and no-hassle of cash in hand and for this purpose capital one venture is probably better.
Venture isn't a true cashback program, it offers travel credits. If an economy class flier does not want to deal with the complexity of ThankYou Rewards, CapitalOne Venture comes third after:

Bank of America Travel Rewards offers 2.2% in travel credits.

Fidelity American Express offers 2% in unrestricted cash.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:07 pm

Miles and Point aside, the Chase Sapphire Preferred's simply provides a higher level of customer service and side benefits that the Venture does not provides.

1) Customer Service Hotline of the CSP is a direct line to US based customer service agents. No prompts, 24/7, US agents.

2) CSP provides Return Protection, Price Protection, Trip Delay Protection, Trip cancellation Protection.

( Return Protection: allow you to return things up to $500 in first 90 days )
( Price Protection: get a refund of the price difference if you see a lower price, up to $500, first 90 days )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.