Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire preferred or ???? Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Question Sapphire preferred or ???? Help

Can anyone recommend a cc for me?

Currently just using my business debit card & have $0 in cc expenses monthly. FICA is 750ish. I'm a business owner (just myself), travel a bunch, us & international so no foreign transaction fees, air miles would be a plus. Not really concerned about Cash Back or points so I'm not sure which direction I should head. I'd just like to get some sort of compensation for the $20k or so I spend in flights & gas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the sapphire card but I'm pretty clueless to specs and programs. Just looking for a single card to use for all purchases

Thanks guys
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
You should probably tell us more about your habits:
1. Where do you fly?
2. Always on one airline?
3. You say you travel "a bunch". How much is that really? Some people on these boards are on the road over 50-75% of the time.
4. For your flights, have you signed up for the FF programs? If so, do you have elite status?
5. What is most important, free flights, free hotel rooms, cash back?

If you can give this type of information, then some suggestions can be made.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:47 am
Original Poster

1) I've taken 20ish domestic flights this year and should do 2-6 international per year.
2) cheapest nonstop if possible (Expedia, sw, cheapoair, etc)
3) 20k or so driven highway miles this year since April. Usually drive somewhere to stay a couple months and fly home in between. International flights around the end of the year. I've done about 5 months in short term apt leases and 60 or so various hotel nights (Hotwire, hotels.com, expedia, 3* hotels) hotel is usually 100%. Extended stays are my 1st choice
4) I've signed up this year for each airline as I've flown so no high status yet
5) honestly flights or cb, not sure. I'd just like some sort of compensation for $ spent. Something simple would be preferred if possible.

I really appreciate any recommendations or feedback.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:52 am

Many would recommend the Amex Personal Rewards Gold because it gives 3 points per dollar spent on airfare. MR points have devalued some in the past few months, plus this card has forex fees and a steep annual fee ($175).

For a single "fire and forget" card that works pretty well for your spend categories and gives good rewards I really think Sapphire Preferred is your best bet. You could also do the trick of pairing it with the Chase Freedom (whose points as of now can transfer to Ultimate Rewards) and earn 5 points per dollar on some categories of spending (it rotates).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:48 pm

sapph preffered most likely

but if you live in a hub for one of the major airlines, you might consider moving most of your flights to that airline (and the alliance that it's apart of) then get a card for that airline.

but if you looking for one 'do it all' card, sapph preffered is your best bet, with the amex prg/plat a second, and a cap1 venture a semi-distant 3rd imo
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Just applied for the sapphire card
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Originally Posted by ayodeji13
sapph preffered most likely

but if you live in a hub for one of the major airlines, you might consider moving most of your flights to that airline (and the alliance that it's apart of) then get a card for that airline.

but if you looking for one 'do it all' card, sapph preffered is your best bet, with the amex prg/plat a second, and a cap1 venture a semi-distant 3rd imo
Don't forget Amex SPG.

Also if the OP refers simple, check into the Fidelity Amex which returns 2% cash back with no cap and no annual fee = better than C1 Venture.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Just got my denied letter from chase. Followed up with a phone call but they wouldn't budge. I went from an 803 then had a rental property foreclose which dropped me to a 749 somehow. Despite a decent score she said there's nothing that can be done due to the foreclosure.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:30 pm

I got accepted today and my score is sub 650. Just out of college I had a couple bumps but since my job my current credit card (freedom with $1600 limit) is maxed and paid off in full twice a month for the last 6 months. After applying I called an explained this and also that my company reimburses me for all travel expenses which is what this card will be used for. She put me on hold for 2 mins came back on and said I was accepted and that I will get my welcome packet and card within about 10 days...

Maybe try again?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Xdsmx
Just got my denied letter from chase. Followed up with a phone call but they wouldn't budge. I went from an 803 then had a rental property foreclose which dropped me to a 749 somehow. Despite a decent score she said there's nothing that can be done due to the foreclosure.

Any ideas?
I'd post over on www.creditcards.com They have more experts in this field. Best of luck. Seems like a foreclosure will taint you for awhile.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:28 pm

Any ideas?

Well , what do you mean rental property foreclose? IS it your property? Or were you renting the foreclousre?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by cazic99

Any ideas?

Well , what do you mean rental property foreclose? IS it your property? Or were you renting the foreclousre?
If he was a tenant it would not affect his credit if the property was foreclosed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.